United Kingdom

47 Signins

452 Page Views

• Views: 452
  • Message 1 of 5

Moving OS to M.2 NGFF SATA SSD

2014-08-27, 17:35 PM

Hello forumites!

I've just purchased and installed this 128GB SSD in the m.2 slot on my Lenovo Y510p.51sbnEfSQ3L.jpg

Since installing it I am not seeing much of a difference in the speed of opening programs or starting up the laptop, so I'm not sure I've done it correctly. I followed the instructions provided, though I was unable to disable Intel Rapid Storage, there just wasn't an option to do that on the program and I didn't want to uninstall it completely.

I'm not entirely sure what to do from here, as I'm not really aware of any difference between a cache drive or a boot drive. I would like my laptop to start up and run as quickly as possible. I have read about cloning the OS and running it completely off of the SSD, but I'm not confident in my knowledge to undertake this task without messing up my laptop.

Can anyone explain some of the benefits and how to actually do this OS clone? Just an FYI, since I only restored the laptop using One Key Recovery last week, I don't really have any precious data that I would care about losing if that's what it takes.

Options

19 Posts

08-18-2014

United Kingdom

47 Signins

452 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re: Moving OS to M.2 NGFF SATA SSD

2014-08-29, 16:50 PM

I went ahead and attempted moving the OS from the HDD to my new SSD and it worked.

On the plus side, the OS now runs entirely off of the 128GB SSD so the laptop starts up in under 10 seconds, if there was any way to bypass the password screen completely I'm sure it could do it in about 5.

I now want to use the 1TB drive purely for storage so I formatted it using Acronis and then changed it to the NTFS format using Disk Management. These actions were done using the SATA to USB cable I purchased to undertake this whole conversion. This is where my problem has occured:

The HDD works fine when connected via USB, but when placed back inside of the laptop it does not show up anywhere in File Explorer or Disk Management, meaning I can't restore my files and documents from my external drive, and there isn't nearly enough room on the SSD to hold my music and games, so I'm left with an incredibly fast but totally empty laptop.

I don't understand what has gone wrong. :smileysad:

Options

5 Posts

08-18-2014

Egypt

26 Signins

112 Page Views

• Views: 112
  • Message 3 of 5

2014-10-22, 12:13 PM

This is interesting, I want to do that as well.

Options

19 Posts

08-18-2014

United Kingdom

47 Signins

452 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2014-10-22, 12:38 PM
I don't know exactly how I fixed it, but I did it. The HDD is recognised as a 1TB storage device.

Apart from the occasional weird internal noises (a random beep or the whirring sound of the mechanical hard drive), the laptop works completely without issue, at blazing speeds.
Options

5 Posts

08-18-2014

Egypt

26 Signins

112 Page Views

• Views: 112
  • Message 5 of 5

2014-10-22, 13:47 PM
That's good. If you remembered anything please don't forget to add it here. Thanks.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms