Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-20-2009

San Antonio, TX

5 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 1 of 6

My Y550 getting super HOT all of a sudden :( Help!!!

2009-10-20, 2:19 AM

Hello everyone, could you please help  me out?

my laptop started to make a weird sound yesterday when I would pick it up and kind of angle it towards me. it kind of sounded like when the CD drive comes out

Well today I notice that my laptop is getting SUPER  hot all of a sudden. way hotter than it has before. It also smells like something us burning.

I tried unplugging it from the charger but it still remains hot.

What could it be???? Please help. I have only had this laptop since 6/27/09 :( :(

Options

25 Posts

10-05-2009

us

42 Signins

582 Page Views

• Views: 582
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: My Y550 getting super HOT all of a sudden :( Help!!!

2009-10-20, 20:18 PM

Is the CPU fan functioning properly? This seems to be the case. 

Options

4 Posts

10-20-2009

San Antonio, TX

5 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2009-10-23, 17:35 PM

Thanks.. I called tech support and he said that too. I'm sending it in for repair. :)

Options

2 Posts

10-23-2009

USA

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 4 of 6

2009-10-23, 17:57 PM

Why you would post to a forum when your computer is melting is beyond me, but please DO NOT turn it on again. At all. For any reason.

Your laptop is only 4 months old - it's under warranty. Pick up the phone and call Lenovo tech support. Have your serial number ready. Their phone number is 877-453-6686.

They will send you a special box by overnight FedEx. Put the laptop in it and send it back. They pay for all of this. The Lenovo tech will go through all of this with you.

It almost doesn't matter what's wrong with it. You will get it, or if it's fried, one very close to it, back within a week, also by overnight. These folks have turn around time that's very fast.

Lesson here is: 1) If you ever feel like the laptop is too hot, immediately turn it off and don't turn it back on until someone qualified tells you it's OK. 2) If you ever smell something burning, same action, but maybe you're too late. 3) Never, never, never use a laptop on a pillow, cushion, lap blanket, etc. They pull air from the bottom and blow it through the case and out the side to keep the guts cool. Block the air flow = overheated guts = melted CPU and maybe fried motherboard. Lots of companies make lap coolers with fans. They work. If that's what you're doing, get one.

Good luck.

Options

4 Posts

10-20-2009

San Antonio, TX

5 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2009-10-23, 18:36 PM

thanks Mr. Wizard.

I actually posted this from my desktop PC, not my laptop. but thanks.

I've already done all that (called support, got the box, etc) and actually i'm just waiting for FedEx to pick up my laptop to ship to Lenovo.

The guy on the phone told me it was OK to turn the laptop back on to back up all my files. I asked him specifically if it was okay even with the problems i had described to him. I turned it on very briefly to copy all my files (I didn't have much, thankfully)

The one thing I can see that I did wrong was using a pillow or blanket under the laptop, but I won't do that anymore, thanks. how about just on my lap though?

Options

2 Posts

10-23-2009

USA

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 6 of 6

2009-10-29, 2:04 AM

Hi Brenda

Glad to hear that things are moving in the right direction. I was typing my post just after you had made your progress report so I did not see it. In light of what you had done, most of my advice was redundant.

As far as using your laptop on your lap; it just sounds intuitive doesn't it? A laptop is made for a lap. Well, not exactly. It's made for a lap but not "engineered" for a lap. Who had the brilliant idea to put intake fans on the bottom of a flat computer that would be laying on a flat soft surface (the aformentioned lap) which would, almost by definition obstruct the airflow to those fans?   No airflow, no interior cooling, and then all the bad stuff I mentioned last post. You've seen or heard about the guys with 8 fans in their desktop towers? There's a reason. Air.

I personally destroyed a $3000 laptop by owner neglect in failing to clean the fan grids often enough, using the laptop on my lap constantly, and for reasons not yet fully understood, ignoring the very hot touch and smell of burning plastic. I stopped using laptops directly on my lap.

With that lesson in mind, I warned all 3 of my girls (16, 14 &14 at the time) not to do what I did. And if they did, those Christmas computers would not be replaced. Needless to say, nearly every time I saw them outside of their rooms with their computers, they were curled up in a chair or on the sofa with it on their laps or on a cushion. Till I was blue in the face I talked. June, the first one went. Apparently there were hints like yours and mine - she just did not bother to tell me. I don't scream and yell - I just get quiet and they hate that. I made good on my promise. I did not replace it. (Lucky it was summer and school was out - lessened the guilt) I did make the warranty claim with HP in August but let her do without her beloved IM all summer.

Amazing to me, her twin did the same thing in late July. That computer sat on the sofa cushion or her lap for about 12 hours straight while she was sulking about something and just playing video games. Same signs - too much trouble to tell me. And this is after her sister's horrible episode. I think they must sit in such a way, or place the computer so that both the intake fans and the exhaust are blocked. Most laptops should have tolerated such abuse unless she did that every day, but she was taking the 5th on that one. I don't think these are exemplars. I would have liked to pull the case fans and the CPU fan and measured speed and flow rate but that would have voided the warranty. Two computers, same make and model, with same failure just about the same hours of use is suspicious of a defect, in addition to abuse. But abuse it was nonetheless.

So here's where all this logorhea was leading. I think a lap cooler is essential if the laptop is going to used for an extended time there. I do have a favorite but there a a lot of them out there and you should do some research before you buy one. CNET, PCWorld, PCMag, & a lot of the blogs will have suggestions and reviews. It is absolutely unnecessary to spend more than $25 unless you want lots of bells and whistles. My favorite is shown here   http://www.buy.com/prod/belkin-notebook-cooling-lounge/q/loc/101/210461277.html. The reason it is a retail website is not because I advocate that site, but rather because it has a video that shows the product well. We now have 5 of them in our house - one for each of us. I started with the Laptop Cooling Pad, and it did a perfectly fine job; it just was not as comfortable as the Lounge. Costco has a couple of models of other popular brands at deep discount. The brands vary from time to time as does everything at Costco.The big name online stores charge surprising high prices for coolers compared to MSRP. Once you find what you want check pricewatch.com.

[As an aside and another argument for a cooler - the hotter a computer gets, the slower and more erratic  it runs]

So after all this verbage, "how about just on my lap though?"  Most people get away with it. They don't have it sitting there for 12 hours/day 7 days/week like teenagers do. Your laptop is an expensive investment and you have a lot of important data there that most people do not backup like they know they should. Burn it up and the potential loss is more than just money. The lap really is not an ideal healthy environment for your computer by design and I do not recommend it. Give it as much air as possible. Use a cooler. It's more comfortable for your neck too.

Best wishes. Let us know the diagnosis when you get it back from Lenovo.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)