Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

04-13-2012

Sofia

6 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 1 of 9

My Y570 is overheating!

2012-06-23, 13:23 PM

Hey guys! So, my laptop is overheating a lot lately.. I have it from 10 months and the computer restart when start working on it.. I do a lot of 3D, mostly because this is my job, so I bought this laptop becuase it have hi-top components.

Anyway, when I start modelling something in 3D the laptop just restarts.. It happens like 30 to 60 minutes after I start working.. Sometimes it work for a few hours without problems. The laptop have never been opened since there is no service shop in Bulgaria.. Thanks for that Lenovo! So I can't really use my warranty and if I take it in regular shop with this warranty they will charge me big time just for cleaning it.. So, any ideas? I have a cooliing pad that don't help at all.. I bought a fan that is attached on the side of the laptop, but it's not helping as well.. So, can anybody please give some info about how to dissansemble the laptop and clean it? Also a friend bought the same laptop, he got pretty much the same problems, so he took it to a service shop and they found out that there is no thermal paste on the CPU and the GPU.. So, what are the chances my laptop not to have thermal paste?

Answer
Options

39 Posts

04-20-2012

usa

106 Signins

528 Page Views

• Views: 528

Re: My Y570 is overheating!

2012-06-24, 6:56 AM

TSvetkoKrastev, i can probly give you a rough rundown of what's happened here, evey though some(most) may disagree.

The thermal paste applied to the gtx 555, and i7-2670qm on these lenovo laptops was atrocious. Some kind of green fuzzy crap, that dissipated little to no heat. i'm fairly sure after 10 months of pretty constant use by the sounds of it, you've basically cooked off all of their crappy thermalpaste. It is a risk to pull it apart yourself and put some high grade arctic silver on it, but the temps drop downto low 40sC for the CPU, and around 50 for the GPU. Their new bios 2.10 solved some of these issues i think by upping the cutoff point to something crazy like 90C or 95C for the CPU, so us customers wouldnt see the stuttering effect claimed by so many on these forums. Also using a program like ThermalStop can give u a very good feel for how hot ur laptop is running depending upon what tasks at hand you are doing. If you still have a warranty, send it in saying it's overheating too badly and unusable. The bios originally made the cpu throttle down when it hit 85C? correct me if im wrong guys, which was way too low because every time you used the notebook with these horrible thermals, it would almost inevitably hit over 85.

As a side note after applying AS5 to my GPU, b4 the new paste the gtx 555 would hit over 85C without barely starting the game. Now i can overclock from 752/912mhz Core, and 1570/1735 on the memory without so much as a hiccup. Thermals really are the issues with these ideapads, and lenovo coulda hit a homerun with the y570. Also I'd recommend updating to the 2.10 bios, as that may fix some of your issues. It fixed a strange typing too fast, and random crap would open up issue lol. Or u can try an unlocked 2.06 bios and adjust some of the temps when certain stuff kicks on, but theres literally 100's of options in unlocked 2.06, and it seems you can do more harm than good....just my .02 hope that helps :)

Replies(8)
Answer
Options

39 Posts

04-20-2012

usa

106 Signins

528 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

2012-06-24, 6:56 AM

TSvetkoKrastev, i can probly give you a rough rundown of what's happened here, evey though some(most) may disagree.

The thermal paste applied to the gtx 555, and i7-2670qm on these lenovo laptops was atrocious. Some kind of green fuzzy crap, that dissipated little to no heat. i'm fairly sure after 10 months of pretty constant use by the sounds of it, you've basically cooked off all of their crappy thermalpaste. It is a risk to pull it apart yourself and put some high grade arctic silver on it, but the temps drop downto low 40sC for the CPU, and around 50 for the GPU. Their new bios 2.10 solved some of these issues i think by upping the cutoff point to something crazy like 90C or 95C for the CPU, so us customers wouldnt see the stuttering effect claimed by so many on these forums. Also using a program like ThermalStop can give u a very good feel for how hot ur laptop is running depending upon what tasks at hand you are doing. If you still have a warranty, send it in saying it's overheating too badly and unusable. The bios originally made the cpu throttle down when it hit 85C? correct me if im wrong guys, which was way too low because every time you used the notebook with these horrible thermals, it would almost inevitably hit over 85.

As a side note after applying AS5 to my GPU, b4 the new paste the gtx 555 would hit over 85C without barely starting the game. Now i can overclock from 752/912mhz Core, and 1570/1735 on the memory without so much as a hiccup. Thermals really are the issues with these ideapads, and lenovo coulda hit a homerun with the y570. Also I'd recommend updating to the 2.10 bios, as that may fix some of your issues. It fixed a strange typing too fast, and random crap would open up issue lol. Or u can try an unlocked 2.06 bios and adjust some of the temps when certain stuff kicks on, but theres literally 100's of options in unlocked 2.06, and it seems you can do more harm than good....just my .02 hope that helps :)

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1376 Posts

08-28-2011

Thailand

6684 Signins

75878 Page Views

• Views: 75878
  • Message 3 of 9

2012-06-24, 16:14 PM

Hi TSvetko,

Lenovo Support Center ...

Country or RegionLanguageTelephone numberHours of operation
Bulgaria Bulgarian 00800 11 944 26 9AM - 6PM
Monday - Friday
IDEA Products

probably the fan and heat sink-fins need a good cleaning,

IdeaPad Y570 Service Training video...

http://lenovo.f.relayware.com/content/CourseWarePublic/8921/player.html

and Hardware Manual...

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/ge/en/UserGuide/Guide_list.aspx?CategoryID=867235

please download free CPUID Hardware Monitor to monitor temperatures...

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

good Luck... Zehn

Options

7 Posts

04-13-2012

Sofia

6 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2012-09-21, 14:59 PM

After several months of trying to find a service shop I didn't got any results..

That "Support Center" just take your laptop and send it somewhere else.. In my case, they wanted to send it to Poland.. Just for unscrewing a few bolts and running a vacuum cleaner.. They said it will take up to 1 month..

I find this very disappointing.. 
There is no service shop in Bulgaria for IdeaPad products.. There are several for ThinkPad products though, but they refuse to take my IdeaPad and just clean it.. I mean, what is the difference? You just have to unscrew like 5 bolts, take that plastic cover down and you're done.. But noo.. You want to clean your IdeaPad? Let me send it to Poland for 1 month..

I'm sorry for the harsh words Lenovo, but this is bullsh!t!

I didn't wanted to lose my warranty, but I don't saw a way to use it anyway.. So why do you even bother giving warranty when there is no way or place for the customer to actually use it? When you start selling products like laptops, first make sure that you'll be able to make a service shop in the country... Right now, all IdeaPads in Bulgaria have to be sent to Poland. That is the only way to use your warranty and that sucks!

At the end I opened the laptop myself and cleaned it.. Lost my warranty and now if something actually brake I'll have one pretty expencive peace of thrash..

Options

121 Posts

03-04-2011

Hawaii

1550 Signins

4252 Page Views

• Views: 4252
  • Message 5 of 9

2012-09-21, 17:03 PM

You did try the "dedusting" mode in Thermal Management, right?  Not sure if that'll really help or not, but you didn't mention it.

Options

7 Posts

04-13-2012

Sofia

6 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2012-09-21, 17:07 PM

It's not really helping.. I was using it like 2 or 3 times per week ever since i bought the laptop.. But even with the dedusting mode, the laptop get a lot of dust..

Options

39 Posts

04-20-2012

usa

106 Signins

528 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2012-09-22, 1:47 AM

If yor feel comfortable taking apart laptops, nows the time to do it. Be very careful, and follow the Hardware maintenance manual. Be aware that lenovo uses mostly plastic/neoprene screws that strip very easy, and are one time use screws. That being said if you take it apart and clean the cpu/gpu, and replace it with Arctic Silver 5, you will probably notice a 5-10C drop in temps. I went from barely being able to play games for 30+ minutes w/o it restarting, to overclocking my Gtx 555m. So it is very worth it in the end. Just be very cautious, as the components over by the wifi switch/gpu switch are very fragile, and the utmost care should be taken with them. Good Luck! :)

Options

44 Posts

03-06-2012

Serbia

133 Signins

662 Page Views

• Views: 662
  • Message 8 of 9

2012-09-22, 14:19 PM

Glad you got it fixed. Just wrote a response and a guide on how to clean the air duct grill, didn't see you already solved it. So i just edited the reply with this random text.

Options

7 Posts

04-13-2012

Sofia

6 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2012-09-22, 15:09 PM

Like I said I already did this.. It's better now, but I lost my warranty.. This is what sucks.. Well, the next time I decide to clean the laptop I will make a "tutorial" on how to do it yourself.. Expecially when Lenovo don't give a **bleep** about their customers..

You can see it even here.. The Official Lenovo Community and no one from Lenovo is actually reading these forums.. They don't even try to respond to most of the users.. People with numerous problems are posting here and not a single post from Lenovo..

A chinese guy got a lot of money and bought IBM.. Got a pretty good company - Lenovo with a lot of products and he don't give a sh!t about his customers.. This is what makes people switch to ther brands.. I don't recommend Lenovo to anyone simply because of their support and the fact that their warranty have no coverage in my country.. Every other "big" brand have at least one service shop for their products.. Acer have one, Asus have one, Sony have one, HP too, but Lenovo - only ThinkPads!

So all these people that got IdeaPad are screwed, because the ThinkPads seems to be totally different from the IdeaPads.. Great logic Lenovo!

And even now a guy from Lenovo could just come by and say one freaking "Yeah.. Sorry about that.. We could work on opening an IdeaPad service shop in your country..", but no.. Why bother..?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms