Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-29-2013

2 Signins

6 Page Views

• Message 1 of 2

Need to install new HDD, early 2013 Y500

2013-12-29, 22:06 PM

While I know its still under warranty I assume, my Y500 HDD is going south after my girlfriends daughter dropped a cup that hit the edge of my laptop right where the HDD is. It's not totally ruined, just some continual errors and bad sectors are forming. However, I'd like to do the better thing and install a new HDD myself which I have no problem with. The issue is how I would reinstall Windows 8 onto the new, bare HDD without having Windows 8 been included with the laptop in any physical form (DVD, USB). Before this I was used to getting laptops that came with install discs in case of a problem. I really like this laptop and, aside from a slight issue with the physical monitor, I would like to repair it and keep it going as long as I can.

On another note, I was wondering if I could successfully install a SATA 6Gb/s into this particular laptop without any issue when the current HDD is SATA 3Gb/s. Since the year warranty is almost up anyway, I have no real qualms about doing this work myself and I actually enjoy tinkering and fixing my own hardware.

Any help on knowing how to do a fresh install of Windows 8 onto the same laptop with a replacement HDD would really be appreciated, thank you.

Options

248 Posts

02-21-2013

Ohio

456 Signins

3789 Page Views

• Views: 3789
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Need to install new HDD, early 2013 Y500

2013-12-30, 6:57 AM

You can download a copy of Windows 8 and install it. I'd suggest searching for a torrent of it. It's legal for you to do as you own a valid key for the software which is stored in your laptop's BIOS. As for the SATA 6Gb/s question, yes you can install one of those as this laptop has SATA III ports for the HHD and mSATA bays. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 | Intel® Core™ I7-3630M @2.4GHz | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | Nvidia® Geforce™ GT 750M | 120GB Mushkin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint M8 5400RPM HDD | 1080p Lenovo Display | Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms