Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

35 Posts

09-11-2013

Kolkata

46 Signins

281 Page Views

• Views: 281
  • Message 91 of 256

Re: New y510p with a wifi problem

2013-09-30, 23:49 PM

Like you know that there is a problem with the network card and nothing seems to work out, I would suggest you to buy an usb wifi adapter. You cannot replace the network card that easily but you can surely get an USB wifi adapter. It's just like a dongle and it boosts your range. Maybe that will help you to get over this problem.

Cheers

Options

773 Posts

06-20-2011

United States of America

4290 Signins

192161 Page Views

• Views: 192161
  • Message 92 of 256

2013-09-30, 23:53 PM

wrote:

I've had my Y510P for a week now. I've spoken with tech support, sales, and post sales. No one can help me with this internet connection issue. My signal drops daily and I experience slow speeds in different areas of my house. My 3-year-old laptop has better wifi range than this $1200 computer. It makes no sense to get 5-15 Mbps speeds when I pay for 90 Mbps. My older $500 laptop gets max speeds at close range and from a distance 50 Mbps. This disparity is unacceptable. Even my iPhone 5 has better Wifi signal....

I checked intels website and the issue apparently is the Intel Centrino (R) N-2230. The card has quality issues that Intel admits on their forums. Still, Lenovo cannot replace the network card with a different on without me sending in my machine and not receiving it back for 3 weeks. Further, I'd rather not have my laptop go through a warehouse supply chain, get pried open, and possibly receive a refurbished part. I might as well have bought a refurbished laptop. 

This situation is sad. I love this laptop EXCEPT for my wireless. How could something so fundamental, so simple ruin a beautiful machine like the Y510P?

/sigh

Hi jghost23, welcome to this forum.  :smileyvery-happy:

Did you read the post #81 above? If you use the PROSet, I think you could achieve better speeds. Also, this link from Small Net Builder, should help you understand what settings give you the best connection speed.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed

I think everyone realizes, including Intel, the N-2230 card had issues with the Win 8 driver. However: I believe the latest driver released, when used with the PROSet, fixed a lot of the issues.

Cheers,

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Options

35 Posts

09-11-2013

Kolkata

46 Signins

281 Page Views

• Views: 281
  • Message 93 of 256

2013-10-01, 0:06 AM

I see that you have tried every possible thing you could do deal with the internal Wifi in your laptop. I have got leneovo y500 and it has a similar problem. I bought an USB wifi adapter and plugged in the laptop just like a dongle. This Usb dongle is very cheap costing around 20$ and it boosts the wifi signal. Now I get appropriate speeds when I am ten meteres away from the router in my house. Mind you in between there are walls and doors. I suggest that you should try this one out as well.

Cheers

Options

2 Posts

09-30-2013

Florida

20 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 94 of 256

2013-10-01, 0:53 AM

wrote:

wrote:

I've had my Y510P for a week now. I've spoken with tech support, sales, and post sales. No one can help me with this internet connection issue. My signal drops daily and I experience slow speeds in different areas of my house. My 3-year-old laptop has better wifi range than this $1200 computer. It makes no sense to get 5-15 Mbps speeds when I pay for 90 Mbps. My older $500 laptop gets max speeds at close range and from a distance 50 Mbps. This disparity is unacceptable. Even my iPhone 5 has better Wifi signal....

I checked intels website and the issue apparently is the Intel Centrino (R) N-2230. The card has quality issues that Intel admits on their forums. Still, Lenovo cannot replace the network card with a different on without me sending in my machine and not receiving it back for 3 weeks. Further, I'd rather not have my laptop go through a warehouse supply chain, get pried open, and possibly receive a refurbished part. I might as well have bought a refurbished laptop. 

This situation is sad. I love this laptop EXCEPT for my wireless. How could something so fundamental, so simple ruin a beautiful machine like the Y510P?

/sigh

Hi jghost23, welcome to this forum.  :smileyvery-happy:

Did you read the post #81 above? If you use the PROSet, I think you could achieve better speeds. Also, this link from Small Net Builder, should help you understand what settings give you the best connection speed.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed

I think everyone realizes, including Intel, the N-2230 card had issues with the Win 8 driver. However: I believe the latest driver released, when used with the PROSet, fixed a lot of the issues.

Cheers,

DragonRider

Hi again Drag. Let me try these settings. I don't understand for to use PROset to control the connection. Can you explain this?

Options

1 Posts

10-11-2013

usa

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 95 of 256

2013-10-11, 20:57 PM

So this is my first post but I would like to say thank you for all the people that have contributed as I have been following all the threads. 

I found a solution for me,,,, or "remedy" I should say. 

Firstly, I tried every solution that was recomended in the last 10 pages to no avail. Being a network engineer I had suspected a combination dirivers issues, but also thought there may be a remedy on the Routher side. Obvisoulsy I did not want to change router settings as this defeats the purpose of fixing the actual issue. But left with no hope , I was about 5 miniutes from installing windows 7 when I decided to audit my router settings. 

I am using a D-LInk DIR-825, provided to me from Cox cable.I have 3 networks configured on it, Main > Guest > and a 5hz network. I tried disabeling 5ghz and messing with IPv6 etc... but that did not work also. 

Finally I changed the setting on my routher to Disable "Enable Auto Channel Scan" setting , I then used the drop down to select "2.457 GHz - Ch-10" ,,,,,, and this worked, I have held a connection all day, a very strong connection. 

Now should you have to change the channel ?... um no, the radio in your computer and the software sholuld be able to hold any channel your router decides on. But.... there are times that senstitive radios, do get confused. Like having to many devices on the same frequency in close range "apartment builidings for example" . So the actual radio on the Intell  2230 may just be a bit to sensitive if in close range with other 2.4 ghz networks or radios, etc. 

This has worked for me and solved my issue. I am not promoting this as the complete fix as obviously I dont know it will work for you. Ultimately Lenovo needs to solve the problem if it is software related. If it is hardware related and indeed a radio or bad antenna issue. Then we should all recieve some type of compensation. 

Options

4 Posts

10-12-2013

Denmark

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 96 of 256

2013-10-13, 0:02 AM

How to solve the problem about Wifi connection:

Greetings,

As a new owner of Lenovo Ideapad Y510p I have been once predicted for my wireless did not work optimally and did I was thrown by internetet every 5 minutes, which was pretty annoying after and have bought a new laptop. But after several attempts, I found out how to fix it.

1. Get downloaded Intel WLAN Driver for Windows 8 (64-bit) Version: 15.8.0.5

Click on: 

http://support.lenovo.com/en_GB/downloads/default.page

Click on: Select Product

Than write on the search bar: Y510P

Click on: Ideapad Y510p Notebook

Search Networking: Wireless Lan in Category

Search Operating System: Windows 8

Hints (When I tried to download the driver on my computer, I put the driver on break when the Internet slips, and restores driver in the I connect to my internet back, I made it up to 4 times.)

2. Before you install it, you must delete the current folder
Click on the Win + R
And paste: C: \ drivers
And delete the folder called: Intel WLAN Driver

3. Install the driver that you downloaded before

4. Restart Windows

5. Upgrade your new driver

Click on the Win + R
And paste c: \ drivers \ Intel WLAN Driver
And open prog frame: Autorun
Then press: Upgrade

6. Restart Windows

And you should now have the opportunity to be in the Internet forever and ever :)

I hope this would help your problem about the lost wifi connection. 

Have a nice continued nice day :D

Ferdinand Brødløs (Denmark)

Options

1 Posts

10-14-2013

canada

3 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 97 of 256

2013-10-14, 4:16 AM

wrote:

How to solve the problem about Wifi connection:

Greetings,

As a new owner of Lenovo Ideapad Y510p I have been once predicted for my wireless did not work optimally and did I was thrown by internetet every 5 minutes, which was pretty annoying after and have bought a new laptop. But after several attempts, I found out how to fix it.

1. Get downloaded Intel WLAN Driver for Windows 8 (64-bit) Version: 15.8.0.5

Click on: 

http://support.lenovo.com/en_GB/downloads/default.page

Click on: Select Product

Than write on the search bar: Y510P

Click on: Ideapad Y510p Notebook

Search Networking: Wireless Lan in Category

Search Operating System: Windows 8

Hints (When I tried to download the driver on my computer, I put the driver on break when the Internet slips, and restores driver in the I connect to my internet back, I made it up to 4 times.)

2. Before you install it, you must delete the current folder
Click on the Win + R
And paste: C: \ drivers
And delete the folder called: Intel WLAN Driver

3. Install the driver that you downloaded before

4. Restart Windows

5. Upgrade your new driver

Click on the Win + R
And paste c: \ drivers \ Intel WLAN Driver
And open prog frame: Autorun
Then press: Upgrade

6. Restart Windows

And you should now have the opportunity to be in the Internet forever and ever :)

I hope this would help your problem about the lost wifi connection. 

Have a nice continued nice day :D

Ferdinand Brødløs (Denmark)

Thanks, this driver worked for me. My wifi problems are all gone now.

Options

2 Posts

10-17-2013

Canada

8 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 98 of 256

2013-10-17, 0:43 AM

Hi all!

So I received my y510p on September 12, I got this wireless problem after I received the laptop. At first I wasn't really concerned about it since the wifi connection was pretty stable. Just 2-3 drop outs that night. The second day it became worse. It showed it was connected but I couldn't browse any web at all. The only way to solve it was to disconnect and reconnect again, but the same thing would occur after a few minutes. I was concerned about my router, because the router I'm using is shared between 6 people. So I phoned my internet service provider, they told me the problem was my wireless adapter. So I called Lenovo support they told me to ask for an exchange.

Just received my new laptop today, started the computer and the same problem happened again -____-

Read every post in this thread and I think the problem is temporarily solved for me, what I did was I uninstalled the Intel pro wireless software, and uninstall/reinstall the intel 2230 network adapter software. Now I'm getting a more stable connection from it, but during this hour I dropped out once, so it's still not very stable. I'll try the method posted above later, when my wifi starts to drop out frequently. Hope it'll work, thanks for posting!

Options

2 Posts

10-17-2013

Canada

8 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 99 of 256

2013-10-17, 1:22 AM

Okay so I tried the method listed above my post, it didn't work out for me, I ended up uninstall the software and my internet connection is stable now. I think it's because I'm using Windows 8 and the network adapter software does not support windows 8.

Oh never mind, it just disconnected and reconnected again. GG Lenovo, solve this plz.

Options

4 Posts

10-12-2013

Denmark

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 100 of 256

2013-10-17, 8:55 AM
Hi.

I do not know who to blame, whether it's Lenovo, Windows 8, or the driver for the wifi, but know for sure that there is a problem which need not be accaptere since it is a new computer you and I have bought
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms