Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

09-04-2013

United States

18 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 81 of 256

Re: New y510p with a wifi problem

2013-09-18, 2:19 AM

Been lurking on this chain for a while now and have tried every solution suggested and still no go. I can't hold a connection at home or at school. a/c plugged in or unplugged. I have unistalled things, tried updates, called lenovo phone support, and nothing. I don't want to send it in as i need a laptop for school but this is ridiculous. I just want my awesome laptop (that i paid good money for) to have a wireless card that works. i just did a speed test and i got 2 down and .5 up! i have 15 mbps internet and that doesnt seem right. so this card is ruining my laptop and wasting my money on internet connection when i cant get the full power out of my card. ridiculous.  it is getting old and I am getting tired of not having a full functional laptop. to much to ask?? 

ps i have a usb wifi adapter and it doesn't drop but it is really slow. 

Options

5 Posts

09-17-2013

illinois

17 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 82 of 256

2013-09-18, 14:44 PM

going on day 3 with no issues. 

What i think solved it was unintalling all drivers and just installing the most recent intel drivers/proset and using proset to control the connection. 

I know many people have said try just the opposite. But has anybody tried this? Currently getting a 155mb/s connection at school where i couldn't even connect to before.

This is most certainly software related... Which means there is a good chance it will be fixed soon.

Options

1 Posts

09-20-2013

United States of America

4 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 83 of 256

2013-09-20, 8:40 AM

Okay Lenovo,

I have tried all of your suggestions, non of which have resolved the issue.  My y510p is less than a month old, and I am relegated to using wireless G (despite paying for  N) and WEP (despite paying for the highest and fastest encryption) as a remedial measure that barely keeps me online.  It actually took me about an hour to just register and login to this site because of the severity of the drops in service and overall terrible speed at which it is working, when it is working.  

You need to provide a remedy or stand by your Implied Warranty of Merchantability and to do so in a reasonable time period, which since this issue has gone unresolved for 90 days AND you continued to sell these defective units, has already expired.  You are already in a class action for the same problem on the Ideapad 310/410.  There are 9 pages of people here who you have damaged financially and who may subsequently join as plaintiffs in federal court with virtually zero expense or difficulty.  It is actually easier to join this class action than it is to connect to the internet on the machines that you knowingly placed into the stream of commerce as defective.

We need immediate remedy from you, and you are on notice.  Fix the machines or provide all of us with working replacements of equal or greater value that do not contain the hardware that you know to be defective.  If you cannot resolve the issue via software, then do so via hardware, and if your y510 architecture is so inherently flawed that you can do neither, please just give us different machines or refunds.  

You have had 90 days to fix this and continued to sell what you knew to be defective during that period.  I am giving you exactly until September 26, at which point I will take measures to join my claim(s) to the existing class action.  It actually costs less and takes less time to be added to the california action against you than it does for me to try and fix this on my own or to even pay for he postage required to send it back to you.

Options

2 Posts

09-20-2013

Buffalo, NY

11 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 84 of 256

2013-09-20, 20:30 PM

Got my laptop today after too much hassle involving the lenovo website and the ups delivery system and now this..the same problem of the wifi either disconnecting every now and then or just giving unbearably slow speeds... I downloaded the intel 16.1.5 update and all it has done is just made the connection stable for 10 minutes or so and then it disconnects. the speed is still slow giving off 5mbps on my 30mbps connection...LENOVO FIX THIS NOW!

Options

30 Posts

06-28-2013

California

56 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 85 of 256

2013-09-20, 22:31 PM

Harryarchere:

Sorry that you are having such a rough time with your laptop. Your situation sounds like the problem might relate to your router rather than to your laptop. Still, I agree that the Y510p have a fairly lame wifi card/service. I can't imagine how dissapointed someone would be who bought the laptop to play online games. Yikes. 

I'd read through this thread and see if you can't modify some of the setting in your router. If that doesn't work, then you most likely stuck with it. Perhaps intel/lenovo will ship out a driver that will mitigate the affects of the wifi card.

But I am unsure if Lenovo cares about this issue. It might not make a big a enough financial impact on their business model to matter. If it did, you would think they would apologize for the issue and formally (i.e. a sticky on the forum or something) indicate that they are working on a fix. Perhaps I am wrong; I'd love to hear more from a Lenovo rep. 

Options

2 Posts

09-20-2013

Buffalo, NY

11 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 86 of 256

2013-09-21, 3:49 AM

hi wagraham

i have already tried all the solutions which have been offered by the others in this forum...nothing has worked so far. The update which i did seems to be working as a temporary fix, but another problem has sprouted in that...whenever i try to do a bluetooth action, the wifi stops working immediately. i havent been able to use my bluetooth properly either. this is really frustrating as this is the 1st day and already so many problems are there on a $1300 laptop. i really hope the lenovo reps come up with a solution to these problems soon and not say i have to change my router since i am sharing it with 5 others and not a single person is saying they have this problem....

Options

11 Posts

12-26-2012

Netherlands

12 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 87 of 256

2013-09-28, 20:12 PM

I, too, am having connectivity wifi problems with my newly purchased y510p.

I've read this entire thread and tried every suggestions posted here

I've had a stable connection for 3 hours or so now and here's what I did:

1. Change 802.11n channel width to Auto.

2. Roaming aggressiveness to Lowest.

Hope that helps. Also my driver version is 15.8.0.5

Release date: 4/25/2013

Options

20 Posts

06-20-2013

New York

23 Signins

87 Page Views

• Views: 87
  • Message 88 of 256

2013-09-28, 22:47 PM

As some of you know, I've been suffering from the issues in this thread since June.  Direct updates from Intel and Lenovo provided no relief.  Last week, Winndows Update offered some Win 8.1 and wireless drivers. 

After installing them 1 by 1 (my machine hung when i tried to do all at once, but that's a different story) I have had pretty stable wireless for 3 days. 

I've noticed brief drop-outs but wonder if the fix has been to reset the wireless chip-set at the first sign of trouble.  Some people have complained of speed issues, but my speed has always been fine, if i was connected at all.

My Centrino n2230 driver is now 15.10.3.2 dated august 22, 2013 from Intel.

My fingers are crossed.

Has anyone else had issues of their machine hanging on attempts to sleep, reset or shutdown?  I don't thik I've been able to do this since win 8.1 preview.  screen goes blank, but power never turns off.

Options

44 Posts

09-22-2013

Raleigh, NC

26 Signins

172 Page Views

• Views: 172
  • Message 89 of 256

2013-09-29, 5:31 AM
I've been looking for this card ("WLAN, WiFi AC+BT4.0, Ltn BCM4352+20702 2x2AC+BT4.0 HMC
FRU no. 20200381 ) to replace the currently included intel 2230. Can anyone tell me where I can find an approved card?
Options

2 Posts

09-30-2013

Florida

20 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 90 of 256

2013-09-30, 21:34 PM

I've had my Y510P for a week now. I've spoken with tech support, sales, and post sales. No one can help me with this internet connection issue. My signal drops daily and I experience slow speeds in different areas of my house. My 3-year-old laptop has better wifi range than this $1200 computer. It makes no sense to get 5-15 Mbps speeds when I pay for 90 Mbps. My older $500 laptop gets max speeds at close range and from a distance 50 Mbps. This disparity is unacceptable. Even my iPhone 5 has better Wifi signal....

I checked intels website and the issue apparently is the Intel Centrino (R) N-2230. The card has quality issues that Intel admits on their forums. Still, Lenovo cannot replace the network card with a different on without me sending in my machine and not receiving it back for 3 weeks. Further, I'd rather not have my laptop go through a warehouse supply chain, get pried open, and possibly receive a refurbished part. I might as well have bought a refurbished laptop. 

This situation is sad. I love this laptop EXCEPT for my wireless. How could something so fundamental, so simple ruin a beautiful machine like the Y510P?

/sigh

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)