Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

03-07-2015

United States

41 Signins

183 Page Views

• Views: 183
  • Message 1 of 9

Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems"

2015-03-11, 1:44 AM

Windows is disabling my video card in Windows 8.1. When I try to use the drivers for my Lenovo notebook from the Lenovo site it says I don't have compatiable hardware for the drivers. 

So I go out ot Nvidia and download the drivers for the 860M it also says I don't ahve compatible drivers. It will itstall the 965M drivers tho but will still list the card as 860M. 

But now I see windows keeps stopping the device. Can anyone help me out here?

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4459 Signins

274727 Page Views

• Views: 274727
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems&q

2015-03-12, 21:08 PM

hi Brunoni,

Seing that you have a Y50-70 in this post, have you considered uninstalling the Intel and Nvidia display drivers from the Control Panel (icon views) > Programs and Features and do a fresh installation of the display drivers from the D:\Drivers folder or from the Y50-70 drivers page? (since the machine uses Optimus Technology, the Intel Driver should be installed first followed by the Nvidia Driver).

If the above steps doesn't work, can you check the other two Y50-70's if you're also getting the same error.

If the display driver installation works fine on the other two Y50-70's, consider restoring the machine from factory settings by pressing the OneKey Recovery button and choose System Recovery (note that this will wipe out the OS partition).

- Link to picture

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

12 Posts

03-07-2015

United States

41 Signins

183 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

Re: Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems&a

2015-03-15, 1:23 AM

What I have been noticing is all 3 machines will now sometimes show this error on the Nvida driver in the device manager. 

If I uninstall it, then restall the factory driver from the Lenovo drive, then update it again with the Geforce experince program that drive will say it is working properly, but then later I'll see it will again have this error. The same steps wil keep fixing it.

Is there a permament solution?

Options

12 Posts

03-07-2015

United States

41 Signins

183 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

Re: Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems&a

2015-03-15, 15:09 PM

Could there be a hardware issue with all 3 machines. I can't see why this video card would keep having problems and disabling itself in windows. 

This is making it very hard to play games well. Seems like almost every day I have to either reinstall the drivers, and/or disable and re-enable the driver to get the error to to away and make games playable. 

Options

12 Posts

03-07-2015

United States

41 Signins

183 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2015-03-15, 17:49 PM

I would also like to add I have installed my own version of windows 8.1 Professional to clean out any spyware that Lenovo may have installed by default. I saw the news about Superfish and I don't want to risk any of that software being on my machines.

So I reformated the drive installed windows 8.1 and installed the drivers from the Lenovo site. I made a backup image of lenovo's image so I can restore that but would prefer to make this work without using that. I dont want the spyware. 

Please advise if I need to send these machines in for repair or what I need to do to stop this issue. 

Thank You

Options

12 Posts

03-07-2015

United States

41 Signins

183 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2015-03-15, 22:13 PM

I have done some more testing.

I restored the factory image. And I still get this same error. I've only done this on one of the machines but since they are all doing the same thing I would bet the others would also get it with the factory image.

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4459 Signins

274727 Page Views

• Views: 274727
  • Message 7 of 9

2015-03-16, 14:24 PM

hi there,

If the "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems" error still occur even after doing a factory restore (stock GPU driver) then it's likely that the GPU is showing signs of imminent failure.

If you can, consider doing a hardware diagnostic on the Nvidia GPU using one of these tools:

- Sample image (GPU showing signs of failure)

- Sample image (good working GPU)

If you get any errors, I recommend you contact lenovo (for warranty service) or the place of purchase (if it's still possible to exchange the unit).

Support phone list

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

12 Posts

03-07-2015

United States

41 Signins

183 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2015-03-16, 20:59 PM

Ok thanks for the help.

I'm sending all 3 machines in for repair. Had these less than a month. Shouldn't be expereincing an issue like this in my opinion, especially not with the amount of money I paid out for each of them!

Options

7 Posts

12-06-2015

juarez

4 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 9 of 9

Re: Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems&q

2015-12-06, 9:45 AM

hello friend this is the new solution with gtx860m please share this 

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3812

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms