07-21-2012

USA

30 Signins

297 Page Views

• Views: 297
  • Message 11 of 13

Re: Nvidia graphics results in Y480 overheating and shutting down

2015-07-08, 4:39 AM

So, I just got my laptop back from the computer repair shop. It cost me $80 to have the fan cleaned out (it was fine) and thermal paste reapplied (it was a mess) to the CPU and Nvidia GPU heatsinks, anddd... No difference at all. As soon as a program begins loading that is one that kicks on the Nvidia GPU, the GPU temp goes over 100C and it shuts down automatically about 30-40 seconds after the program has loaded.

So, unless Lenovo would be willing to fix a hardware defect (I assume this is what's wrong?) on a laptop of theirs that is a year out of warranty (extended warranty--I even bought a one-year warranty extension, sigh), what are my options now? :(

So bummed.

Options

25 Posts

07-21-2012

USA

30 Signins

297 Page Views

• Views: 297
  • Message 12 of 13

2015-07-12, 7:30 AM

Is there anything that Lenovo would do about this? Is it worth calling their customer support?

Options

12 Posts

01-10-2015

12 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 13 of 13

2015-07-12, 7:39 AM

Given how things where I live customer support won't be able to assist, as you're out of warranty, but YMMV, so give them a call just to have their statement. Then I'd go back to the PC repair store and ask them to figure out what is the cause for overheating, maybe they'll be able to actually figure out the reason and give you a working solution, at least that's what I did. I've heared about similar issues as yours where the GPU tries to mimic the Sun directly into your laptop and the problem was that the heatsink wasn't pressed tightly enough to the GPU, but that was on an old Acer laptop, so the guys from the PC service used a pair of pliers to bend the copper pipe so the heatsink applied more pressure on the GPU chip and that worked (not perfectly but at least it didn't shutdown by itself). Genuinely I'd go to a PC store and tell them "It shuts down". Let them do their job and figure it out/fix it for you. Can't really say what the bill is going to be after that but if you get no love from Lenovo customer support I really don't see what else you can do (apart from getting a new laptop). Good luck with your machine!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete