Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

03-29-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 8

Poor Microphone performance ********& - IDEAPAD-5-15ITL05

2021-03-29, 17:47 PM

Recently purchased (Costco USA) Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Poor Microphone performance  ******** - IDEAPAD-5-15ITL05  11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 - 1080p 12GB Ram 512 SSD.
Work perfect for my wife's use except for one thing...
the Microphone(s). We do use it for family Zoom and we often sit side by side in front of it together.
The issue: whomever isn't dead center of the screen cant be heard well if at all, we have to take turns leaning in to the center when we speak.
Its this typical? it appears the is a small Mic hole on each side of the camera.
we have adjust and tested everything we possibly can think of.

i don't really want to add and external Mic if possible including opening Vantage; i was able to find only on/off and volume for microphone. There was a setting to optimize Dolby for voice for on line courses(when detected) that will disable beam forming.  i enabled that option. We shall see if that helps.
is there something else we can use to test/adjust the sensitivity at and angle.
any insight?
Thanks

Moderator note: serial number removed to prevent abuse. Corresponding MT-M is 82FG0002US

Options

1789 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

110 Signins

10320 Page Views

• Views: 10320
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Poor Microphone performance ********& - IDEAPAD-5-15ITL05

2021-03-29, 19:22 PM

Hello Brandoaz,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I would recommend the troubleshooting step below for troubleshooting the microphone and then check for any improvement.

1. Uninstall the Audio driver (Speaker and Microphone): https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht502484
2. Reinstall the Audio driver. Download the driver from this link: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com
3. Enter the serial number of your device.
4. On the left side, click on Drivers and Software
5. Click Manual Update.
6. Look for Audio.
7. Click download and follow the installation prompt. Restart your computer and check the issue.

I hope this helps.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

03-29-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-03-29, 22:00 PM

Thank you for the reply: i was able to delete, download, reinstall and restart.
Problem remains

Options

1789 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

110 Signins

10320 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2021-03-31, 19:06 PM

Hi Brandoaz,

You can try to check the microphone settings of your machine and maximize the input frequency.

You can look for the speakers icon on the taskbar, right click and choose Open Sound Settings. On the Sound settings, look for Input and click on Device Properties. Check if you have maximized the input frequency.

If this is on max, under Related Settings just on the right side of the screen, click the Additional device properties. On the Microphone Properties, click on Levels tab, you should see a bar for the Microphone input. See if this is maximized as well.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

03-29-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-04-01, 19:49 PM

thank you for assisting,
after checking as you directed:
Input is at 100% on sounds settings:
level is also at 100% under device properties
Still experiencing the same issue, though we noticed that when facing the device if we lean left of center or one of us is left of center, the microphones dont pick up anything, if we lean to the right of center of one of us is right of center , is is barely audible, but broken up.

My question is this: 
IS this atypical behavior form this unit/microphone(s) ?

Options

1789 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

110 Signins

10320 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-04-01, 20:42 PM

Hi Brandoaz,

Thank you for going through the troubleshooting steps provided.

The performance of the built in microphone should be able to pick up sounds normally.

One of the steps you can try to isolate the issue is to try and record an audio using an external headset/earphone and record another audio using the built in microphone.

After getting sound samples, you may try to compare the quality of both sound clips.

If the built in microphone sounds much damaged than the one recorded using an external headphone, then there could be a problem with the device.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Options

4 Posts

03-29-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-04-06, 17:40 PM

Thank you.

i have found a Lenovo service center about 25 miles away,  and after speaking with them, honestly the amount if time and trouble this is causing and whether it can be resolved isn't worth the effort.
Ive spent enough time on this already.
I will be returning this unit to Costco and purchasing an MSI unit that i know ( others that have them) work exceptional well for what we need.
Again, thank you for your time and effort in assisting me.
I do appreciate it.

Options

1789 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

110 Signins

10320 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-04-20, 16:33 PM

Hi Brandoaz,

You're welcome. You are free to initiate a new post if you need help sometime in the future.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms