09-04-2013

United States

5 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 2

Power brick clicking

2013-09-04, 0:23 AM

My ideapad y510p sli 170W power brick makes a clicking noise that is quiet, kind of like a springy noise, when the computer is idle and the battery is charged. But when I use a decent amount of power over 50 watts the clicking stops. The clicking stops when laptop is off but if the battery is taken out and the laptop turned on the brick still clicks. Its not too annoying of a sound but I would like to know if it is more serious and I need a replacement power brick. Unfortunately I don't have a 2nd compatible power brick to test. 

The power brick does not get hot only 35c when the clicking happens.

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4457 Signins

274722 Page Views

• Views: 274722
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Power brick clicking

2013-09-05, 1:10 AM

hi jsilverstreak,

Welcome to the Forums.

Clicking noise on the AC adapter usually means there's a volatege fluctuation happening (same thing happens if you have an Automatic Voltage Regulator - you should see the hand move from left to right when there's a voltage fluctuation).

To isolate the issue, try to plug-in the AC adapter on another part of the house and use the computer there.

- If it works fine, the  outlet where you experience the issue most likely have defective wirings.

- if you get the same problem, I recommend you contact lenovo support on how to go about getting a new AC adapter. (chances are, there's a defective component inside that AC adapter).

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms