Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

09-16-2012

ChicagoLand

113 Signins

587 Page Views

• Views: 587
  • Message 381 of 419

Re: Lenovo Z510 CPU stuck at 0.77GHz

2014-12-03, 17:14 PM

wrote:

So is this means.End of this Topic and issue..?? What abt Turbo boost not working on battery mode and wont go past 2.45 ghz on battery ?? o.O

Hey there, so the specific problem noted here was the 'stuck at .77Ghz' issue.  After doing some research, it is not clear if the unit stuck in 2.4Ghz is actually an issue or not.  From what I have seen, from research and from other people that I personally know who have PCs with a 4700MQ, is that this may be the way the processor was designed to work.  This is what I gathered:

1.) I have a friend with an Alienware laptop with the same specs as my z510 except he also has a discrete nVidia graphics card, and I also have a friend that has an HP with basically the same hardware except hers has a slightly lower screen resolution, and both their machined show the same behavior (processor boost up to 2.4Ghz when on battery, but will go to 3.4Ghz on AC power. (although alienware has software that will allow voltage changes/overclocking for the processor to exceed these limits if the user chooses).

2.) apparently, the 4700MQ has a TDP of 47W, and turbo boost of anything past 2.4 GHz exceeds this.  The processor is designed to exceed this, but only for a short time (2.4Ghz is the normal running frequency).  That's why if you run the machine at full CPU load for a long time, it will eventually drop back to 2.4Ghz to get back to that TDP.  The top priority of the processor is to preserve that TDP, and the processor will do everything it can to do this, regardless of power settings, up to and including scaling back the processing frequency.  I think this processor is simply locking at 2.4 Ghz to preserve power when on battery.  

Is there someone out there that has a 4700MQ processor that gets full 3.4 Turbo boost on battery?  I know my test cases are small, since I only have 3 laptops to test (my own, and two of my friends, but they all lock at 2.4 ghz on battery as well).  

Personally, I don't necessarily have a problem with the unit locking at 2.4 on battery.  I honestly think that the unit still runs very snappy and gets the job done, while still easing battery use.  I am not doing anything like playing a game or transcoding video while on my battery.  Mosty I am on a plane watching a movie, or editing documents - that's just me though.  

Options

236 Posts

05-09-2010

Cochrane

1681 Signins

10422 Page Views

• Views: 10422
  • Message 382 of 419

2014-12-03, 21:53 PM

I already posted on page 35 of this forum that my Lenovo Y510P has no problem using full Intel Turbo Boost while running on battery power.  Here's an example I posted.

http://i.imgur.com/3XUW7vK.png

Going past 2.4 GHz does not automatically exceed the 47 Watt TDP limit.  Not even close.

Intel designed the 4700MQ so it can use full Turbo Boost, even when on battery power.  

Some manufacturers have decided to disable Turbo Boost and reduce performance while on battery power.  That is fine but manufacturers need to be up front about this and specifically state what speed their laptop runs at when running on battery power.  Some people need their laptops to be able to perform at full speed whether it is plugged in or not.  They need to know that information before buying a laptop.  It is not fair to consumers when they only find out about these "features" after they try to use their laptop on battery power for the first time.

Options

34 Posts

09-16-2012

ChicagoLand

113 Signins

587 Page Views

• Message 383 of 419

2014-12-03, 22:36 PM

wrote:

I already posted on page 35 of this forum that my Lenovo Y510P has no problem using full Intel Turbo Boost while running on battery power.  Here's an example I posted.

http://i.imgur.com/3XUW7vK.png

Going past 2.4 GHz does not automatically exceed the 47 Watt TDP limit.  Not even close.

Intel designed the 4700MQ so it can use full Turbo Boost, even when on battery power.  

Some manufacturers have decided to disable Turbo Boost and reduce performance while on battery power.  That is fine but manufacturers need to be up front about this and specifically state what speed their laptop runs at when running on battery power.  Some people need their laptops to be able to perform at full speed whether it is plugged in or not.  They need to know that information before buying a laptop.  It is not fair to consumers when they only find out about these "features" after they try to use their laptop on battery power for the first time.

Ok, so this makes sense to me, but I supposed that your pc is more of a high performance laptop, and apparently the Y510p is basically like the alienware my friend has, and his can run past the 2.4Ghz boundary if he sets his machine up to do so.  

I wish I could get more data from different manufacturers to see if this is a common thing or if it's just a couple of units.  

On the other hand,  My laptop performs excellently on battery, even at 2.4Ghz, and I get good battery times as well, and I guess that is what was important to me. (I do alot of travelling, and I like my laptop actually lasting 5/6 hours on battery)  I knew that this was a mid range laptop when I bought it.  That's why I didn't go for the more expensive Y510p.  

I do, however, understand why people may be puzzled by turbo boost, because no one clearly explains how it should work.  I guess just saying 'up to 3.4Ghz' doesn't explain much.  I checked the z510 instruction manual, the intel website, and still it's hard to get an explanation on how this 'should' work.  

Options

106 Posts

09-02-2013

India

114 Signins

1083 Page Views

• Views: 1083
  • Message 384 of 419

2014-12-04, 2:59 AM
To be straight, this new bios is even worse than V39. At Least the older one allowed me to get full turbo frequency in battery mode if adapter is removed after a shutdown (and then started in battery mode) but in this one there's no way....

Disabling turbo boost to improve battery life is a big joke. These manufactures are just fooling around to cover their inefficiency.

If we really cared for battery life that much, we would have gone ULV processors.

I wonder how the hell this new bios got released without covering all the issues. And it seems that they have just modified v39 a bit to create this V40, a really bad idea when the earlier version itself was buggy .
Options

34 Posts

09-16-2012

ChicagoLand

113 Signins

587 Page Views

• Message 385 of 419

2014-12-04, 4:16 AM

wrote:
To be straight, this new bios is even worse than V39. At Least the older one allowed me to get full turbo frequency in battery mode if adapter is removed after a shutdown (and then started in battery mode) but in this one there's no way....

Disabling turbo boost to improve battery life is a big joke. These manufactures are just fooling around to cover their inefficiency.

If we really cared for battery life that much, we would have gone ULV processors.

I wonder how the hell this new bios got released without covering all the issues. And it seems that they have just modified v39 a bit to create this V40, a really bad idea when the earlier version itself was buggy .

Hi.  Just me, but I think that if we are thinking we want to address this 2.4 thing, we should start a new thread, as the .77ghz thing seems to be resolved??  

What are your thoughts?

Options

106 Posts

09-02-2013

India

114 Signins

1083 Page Views

• Views: 1083
  • Message 386 of 419

2014-12-04, 5:00 AM
alright, go ahead...
But, do you think that it will be addressed? Just for an obvious problem it took 10 months(approx) and this one seems to be better than that.

If you start a new thread just post its link in this thread so that everyone in this thread can navigate easily.
Options

2 Posts

12-18-2014

Netherlands

2 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 387 of 419

2014-12-18, 14:06 PM

I have the same issue since i have bought this notebook.

I got the baddest customer service ever in my life...

Getting the same issue since 1 year and found no solution.

Sometimes, i'm playing games on my notebook. Playing on power supply is smoothly.

Playing a game on battery decrease the graphic card performance. I can't even play a game.

It's a problem that's never quite solved either structurally.

Please watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S53HDt-LfL8

Screenshot of my (newest V40) BIOS: 

Screen shot removed per Forum Guidelines as it showed Serial Number of laptop.

Options

9 Posts

11-23-2014

Slovakia

18 Signins

208 Page Views

• Views: 208
  • Message 388 of 419

2014-12-18, 15:27 PM

Hi All,

And I am still struggling with Lenovo service, after the V39 bios upgrade my laptop was completely blocked due to Power on Password,  today sent me the Lenovo service the picture and my laptop is broken the back panel is damaged by the transfer service. tried to solve the CPU issue with an upgrade and get a damaged laptop :-)

now I should pay money to even put the laptop to the same status as before :D

Lenovo service is trying to bla bla me, that the BIOS upgrade issue is a hardware issue and not a software issue, never saw so amateur support :D

WORST SERVICE EVER HAD !

Options

2 Posts

12-18-2014

Netherlands

2 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 389 of 419

2014-12-18, 18:26 PM

I got an e-mail from Lenovo:

Just a note - BIOS v40 was officially released on 11/25 and can be found here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z510-notebook

Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion and troubleshooting of the reports of the CPU becoming stuck at 0.77GHz. I appreciated your input and assistance.

I attached an image about my current BIOS V40. 

Options

9 Posts

08-06-2014

Nepal

17 Signins

127 Page Views

• Views: 127
  • Message 390 of 419

2014-12-18, 19:42 PM

I was also Experiencing some lag on battery , Then after a month of Bios Upgrade on v40  I dont know guys is the Problem Solved !!  I dont think it is The lag on battery while gaming is still here but with the power supply it is Smooth !! 
Thank - you 
i7 8-core z510

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)