06-05-2020

ES

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 41 of 68

Re:SOLVED!! Built-in Camera not working

2020-06-05, 18:10 PM

Unfortunately in my Lenovo laptop this problem happens sometimes when Windows updates automatically its OS or the Defender security database. I suppose that some Microsoft OS patch impacts in some way the Lenovo integrated camera driver and for this reason it stops working and it disappears from the Device Manager.

Here is the solution that I usually follow when this happens:

1) restart the computer (obvious mandatory first step in the IT world)

2) if after the restart, the Lenovo integrated camera still doesn't work (for example, doing a Skype videocall) then check the Windows privaty options as there is a specific Webcam option that must be enabled in the "Let applications use my webcam" setting (restart the computer after enabling it just in case it may be needed and it should finally work)

3) if after the restart it still does not work, open the "Device Manager" administrative Windows tool and check if there is some "Integrated Camera" device in the tree hierarchy (usually it should appear under "Imaging Devices" or directly under some specific "Cameras" entry), so if there is one, jump directly to step 5

4) if there is nothing in "Device Manager" about the Lenovo integrated camera, probably it may be hidden, so you have to activate the "View -> Show Hidden Devices" in the Device Manager menu options, so this should allow finally to see the Integrated Camera appearing in some kind of semi transparent way that means that Windows kernel has "disabled" it

5) so now you can try to "update driver software" option in order to reinstall the Lenovo driver although in my case this option usually does not solve the problem as I usually get a message similar to "hardware not available" or "latest driver is already installed properly", you can also try to "disable/enable" it but again usually in my case this never works and I always get the same previous message, so the only option is to "uninstall" the integrated camera to remove it totally from the Device Manager and then you have to power off your Lenovo laptop and restart it

6) when the Lenovo laptop restarts, Windows OS will automatically reinstall the Integrated Camera driver correctly, so after the system is correctly restarted you can open again the "Device Manager" tool and you can check that now the "Integrated Camera" appears again and this time it is perfectly enabled meaning that Lenovo drivers have been correctly reinstalled and activated, so when you use a webcam application (like Skype) it will finally work again perfectly

Hope this helps you in some way.

Cheers!

Options

1 Posts

06-15-2020

CA

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 42 of 68

2020-06-15, 1:07 AM

Having the issue myself with a Ideapad 330. 

Open Lenovo Vantage program and scroll down to MY DEVICE SETTINGS, Tab over to Displays & Camera and turn CAMERA PRIVACY MODE to off. 

the fn+F8 key does fix it most of the time but for everyone else this should work 

Options

5 Posts

06-27-2013

United States

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 43 of 68

2020-07-09, 3:09 AM

If the small white light next to your camera blinks like it's turning on and then turning off again repeatedly, I think the design of the wiring through the cover hinge is creating a short.  I had all the apps telling me no camera was connected, even though the device manager says it is working properly.  After changing the angle of the screen by opening the laptop more, it works flawlessly now.  Apparently it is just finicky about the position of the screen.  Hope this helps!

Options

1 Posts

07-10-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 44 of 68

2020-07-10, 5:42 AM

Thank you! Something so simple, F8 key, was my issue as well and NONE of the searches had that as a possibility. Yeesh.

Options

1 Posts

07-12-2020

PH

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 45 of 68

2020-07-12, 11:40 AM

Thank you very much! My problem in camera is solved!

Options

1 Posts

07-21-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 46 of 68

2020-07-21, 0:45 AM

Hi. I will try this.  

I called Lenovo customer service about the same problem. Even though the machine is under warranty, Customer Service wanted to charge me a one time fee of $69 to diagnose the problem or to enroll in a $199 per year plan.  I was told the software is not covered by warranty. 

This never happened with my prior Dell computers.  They honored their warranties.

Will let you know if this works.

Lenovo customer service is not good.

Options

7 Posts

07-25-2020

CA

8 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 47 of 68

2020-07-25, 5:01 AM

on one of my lenovo Y50-70 Touch Type 80DT with win 10 18363 the Lenovo EasyCamera shows in Device Manager as hidden in imaging devices.. the system thinks it is unplugged but i have found that if i unplug the power supply and operate on battery only then the camera gets enabled and Camera app works, then if i shut down camera app and plug the AC adapter back in Lenovo EasyCamera stays active, then when i start Camera app it works but as soon as i exit Camera app then EasyCamera gets "unplugged" again and becomes hidden until i unplug the AC adapter. I have updated all drivers and bios... to no avail and even rolled back the energy management to win 8.1 yet the problem still exists... i will say that the most consistent results are with the win 8.1 energy management installed... manual update from lenovo drivers for my sn# from lenovo support.

Options

1 Posts

07-29-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 48 of 68

2020-07-29, 15:50 PM

Please let me know

Options

13 Posts

08-11-2020

AF

8 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 49 of 68

2020-08-12, 10:03 AM

It is indeed frustrating when you are waiting to see the other person on an important call and the webcam does not work. It can happen to any of the devices and not just Lenovo and the root of this issue may be in the settings section of some of the laptops from Lenovo that disable the camera to safeguard the privacy of the users.

This case should be a cakewalk as rectifying the web and all you need to do is to make some changes in the settings section. Before that, follow some basic steps to check for the other probable issues.

• Check for the built-in camera and see if it is covered with the lens cover.
  • The camera icon is usually found on the F8. Press it to check it makes the camera work.
  • Another option is to hold the “Fn” and the camera keys together.
  • If it still does not work then follow the below-mentioned steps:-
  • Go to start option by clicking on Windows Button
  • Search for Lenovo settings.
  • Now click on the Camera option in the Lenovo settings section.
  • Click on the ‘Normal’ option. There may be a case that it is already normal then choose the ‘private’ mode. Apply the changes and then select the ‘Normal’ option again and finally apply the changes.

Gosh! It still didn’t work! If you still face the issues then follow the below-mentioned steps:-

Update the Lenovo settings dependency package software

To perform this, go to the Lenovo website and look for the model number and then download the Lenovo settings dependency package software and install it.

Once you perform this step, then repeat the above-mentioned steps again.

Device manager- Another option is to check if the device manager recognizes the camera accurately. To ensure the same, perform the below-mentioned steps:-

• Click on the Windows start button and click on Device manager.
  • Now go to the imaging devices.
  • If you are unable to find any imaging device then it may be a failure of camera hardware and there is a possibility that the camera modem is not configured.
  • If you see a yellow exclamation mark then it is an indicator that the camera driver is outdated or not installed properly. Uninstall the same by right-clicking on it. Again right-click on it on imaging devices and choose the process of scan for hardware change.
  • If the yellow exclamation mark does not fade away then you should search for the laptop model on support.lenovo.com and find the corresponding camera driver for installation and updating. For some of the models, the camera driver is not separate, Install the Windows inbox driver in such cases.
  • Search through the product name and open the respective product page. Go to the Driver & Software tab and search for the camera option or apply the filter of the component/Operating system. Now download and install the correct camera driver.

You may also try to reboot the laptop and now the webcam should work.

Options

1 Posts

08-30-2020

IN

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 50 of 68

2020-08-30, 3:21 AM

My Lenovo Thinkpad E14 camera works fine in test mode. But when I get into a call (Zoom or Skype) it switches off. Have tried toggling privacy settings on/off. In Lenovo Vantage Think Centre also sometimes the Privacy Toggle button does not appear.

This happens only when a call is on. When I try to test the camera in Zoom it remains on. Only while a call is on it hangs. Quite frustrating as you cannot do anything before hand and during a call it becomes critical when the other person cant see you.

This is happening with 3 Lenovo laptops of mine in the family. Not sure if this is due to some Windows update settings.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete