05-29-2014

United Kingdom

29 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 1 of 2

SSD mSATA boot drive issues

2014-05-29, 0:41 AM

First of all, I know, I shouldn't have done this myself without knowing for sure I could sort whatever issues I ran into. I apologise. I'm dumb.

Right, I havea Y500 that came with a 1TB HDD, and I opted to follow the pack and fit a 240GB Crucial mSATA SSD into the open slot (bottom right when looking at the upturned, uncovered machine). That step was easy, got the drive from Amazon and already have the necessary little screw-driver for taking the back off. Easy step done.

Then I backed up files and documents etc from the HDD to minimise the size of the C: partition. Even easier step.

Next was the start of the trickier stuff. Using AOMEI, I cloned the suggested partitions from the HDD to the SSD (WINRE_DRV, SYSTEM_DRV, LRS_ESP, and Windows8_OS). This lead to a fun issue with drive lettering, but got round that through Regedt32.exe. Now I have the HDD C: as G: and then D:, E:, and F: are cloned to be H:, I: and J:.

Then, I restarted the computer and entered BIOS to set the Crucial drive as the primary boot and saved it all.

Now, as far as I can tell, the SSD is the operating boot drive, and the HDD is still visible in My Computer. The new partitions are also visible. Annoyingly the icon for my new C: is the same as the other partitions, and the now G: drive (old OS C:) has the Windows8 drive icon. 

Now, the issue(s):

1. As above with the drive icons, how can I set the icon for C: back to the Windows8 icon?

2. Every so often (maybe every 30 seconds) the screen refreshes and the task bar clears and then reloads, and the cursor de-selects where I'm typing and I have to click in the text box again. This is much more annoying than the icons and partitions showing up. How do I stop it? Is it connected to the old HDD still being connected and installed as it was before?

Are there details I'm missing that would help identify/cure the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Options

3 Posts

05-29-2014

United Kingdom

29 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: SSD mSATA boot drive issues

2014-05-29, 11:08 AM

Update:

Looks like the culprit is maybe tied to OneDrive. When Windows refreshes itself it's usually accompanied by an error saying "OneDrive Sync Engine host is Restarting". I don't know though if this is the cause or a result of the refresh.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete