Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

02-10-2016

Pune

4 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 1 of 3

Shrinking the licence copy windows 10

2016-02-10, 12:22 PM

I bought Lenovo Z51-70, on Dec 31-15. (with 5th gen core i5, 3D cam).

I want to format the partitions and make the partitions as I wanted. But do not want to lose the license copy. So I shrinked the disk. But still the partition is no accepted to me as c drive is taking 500GB space. I dont want this scheme of partition. Also shrinking the drive beyond this point is not supported. I also want to install red hat and xubuntu on the system. So want my style of partitioning. 

200 GB - Windows C:

500 GB - D:

100 GB - Red Ha
100 GB - ubuntu

How can I do that ?

How can I get the licence Windows 10 installation disk/USB ? 

Answer
Options

7 Posts

02-08-2016

UK

14 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71

Re: Shrinking the licence copy windows 10

2016-02-10, 13:33 PM

Hey man,

Your laptop should be registered with a Windows 10 license embedded in the BIOS, I just bought a Y700 and can confirm this. Go into the BIOS and it will have a section about windows registry key, it won't show the key but this doesn't matter as you don't need to know it, Windows will find it and activate automatically after install.

First thing I did when I got my laptop was go to Microsoft's website and download the Media Creation Tool, installed it to a USB, and then completely wiped the SSD on my laptop, deleting all partitions until I had just one large unallocated space. You will see a couple of partitions named similar to 'OEM partition' etc. just ignore and delete them all.

During installation I didn't get asked for a registration code and when it booted to the desktop for the first time I checked windows activation in settings and it was activated with no problems. If you get asked for a registration key during install just skip and it will activate automatically.

FYI - If you feel more comfortable finding out your windows key before you wipe your system download 'Sysspec' and it will tell you your key, download the program, and the main screen will pop up, in the top-left corner is a little blue man type symbol, click on this and it tells you all your info about the current Windows install :)

Hope this helps.

P.S - You can set your partitions during Windows installation, delete all existing partitions then make new volumes to the sizes you want. 

Cheers

Matt

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

7 Posts

02-08-2016

UK

14 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 2 of 3

2016-02-10, 13:33 PM

Hey man,

Your laptop should be registered with a Windows 10 license embedded in the BIOS, I just bought a Y700 and can confirm this. Go into the BIOS and it will have a section about windows registry key, it won't show the key but this doesn't matter as you don't need to know it, Windows will find it and activate automatically after install.

First thing I did when I got my laptop was go to Microsoft's website and download the Media Creation Tool, installed it to a USB, and then completely wiped the SSD on my laptop, deleting all partitions until I had just one large unallocated space. You will see a couple of partitions named similar to 'OEM partition' etc. just ignore and delete them all.

During installation I didn't get asked for a registration code and when it booted to the desktop for the first time I checked windows activation in settings and it was activated with no problems. If you get asked for a registration key during install just skip and it will activate automatically.

FYI - If you feel more comfortable finding out your windows key before you wipe your system download 'Sysspec' and it will tell you your key, download the program, and the main screen will pop up, in the top-left corner is a little blue man type symbol, click on this and it tells you all your info about the current Windows install :)

Hope this helps.

P.S - You can set your partitions during Windows installation, delete all existing partitions then make new volumes to the sizes you want. 

Cheers

Matt

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

02-10-2016

Pune

4 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 3 of 3

2016-02-12, 5:17 AM
Hi Matt,
Thanks for providing solution. I appreciate your help.
I'll try your solution for sure.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms