Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

01-11-2016

Italy

27 Signins

332 Page Views

• Views: 332
  • Message 1 of 5

Slow, explorer crashing, low space on system SSD (Y700-15ISK, wiindows 10 edu)

2016-08-24, 0:31 AM

Machine: Y700-15ISK Laptop (ideapad) - Machine Type 80NV ( I7 16G 1T 128 10H; running a 1TB HD for data and a 128 GB SSD for the system and programs)

BIOS Version/Date LENOVO CDCN25WW, 04/09/2015

My system is getting slow (so that characters are shown sometimes with a delay while typing on Word), explorer is crashing periodically several times per day (in the last week).
All this after having some problems in saving with MS Office 2016 (Professional Plus, v16, 32bit), that made me do the following things in the (unsuccessful) attempt to solve it:
- set the restore point system (with up to 10% = 9GB on the SSD)
- set backup system (on a external HD)
- set file history (on a second external HD)

- make an online restore of the MS Office

I had already a google sync system on.

The office saving issue has been present for months but caused me a loss of data only a week ago (while saving it stalls; it created a 0Kb file with no data, crashed with no recovery or back-up of the data).

I also checked the following safety option for MS Word: "Prompt before saving Normal template", "Always create a backup copy" and "copy remotely stored files onto your computer, and update the remote file when saving".

In the following 2-3 days from the changes my SSD has gained about 40+GB in system files, , explorer started immediately to crash periodically several times per day, google chrome became extremely slow and unreliable in loading pages and the system slowed down.

Just 1-2 weeks ago my computer was super fast and had only few issue in loading some webpage (and the underestimated saving issue / crashing in Office).

I have already done (in order):

- quick and online restore of Office

- updated windows, office, lenovo system

- update the graphic card

- run my antivirus (Bitdefender)
- scan disk
- clean disk
- defrag
- Lenovo hardware scan (from the solution center)

- disable google sync

- tried to disable indexing and file history of the sistem drive (C: , ie. my SSD)

- SSD diagnostic "SMART" tool (by CrystalDiskInfo diagnostic tool)

-  uninstall my antivirus (Bitdefender)
- uninstall recently added software (Openoffice and others)
- to run an analysis of the space occupied and by the directory (by TreeSize software tool)

- update all the drivers from the Device Manager

- updated the drivers available on the Lenovo support page

Also, my friend checked the communication with the SSD and HD with a pen drive reboot tool.

None of these things helped or detected any error or concerning sign: all is clear!

However, I do find many error and warning messages in Windows Event Viewer and Computer management.

Some of the drivers found on the Lenovo page were not allowed by windows to be installed. Among these:

- BIOS CDCN35WW

- Lenovo Utility for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook

- Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook

- Lenovo System Interface Foundation for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad, ThinkCentre, IdeaPad, IdeaCentre

...I guess it looks like there must be some setting in Windows 10 that does not allow to run a certain kind of files.*

In this process I was supported by:

- a friend, professional in IT

- Microsoft support

- Google support

- my company IT support (twice)

- Lenovo online chat support

My next move, suggested by my friend and the last 2, would be a system restore.

However, for work commitments, I will not be able to do this for at least 3-4 weeks.

I would appreciate if anybody could find a solution/patch/update/diagnostic tool to fix the problem in a time efficient way.

I would try to update the BIOS (first to CDCN35WW then to CDCN37WW as I read here) but I am also concerned to make worse issues, since I am reading many people struggling with these BIOS updates, and I don't feel to be confident enough to deal with issues by the BIOS if the installation is not user-friendly and fool-proof.

Thanks!

*UPDATE (Aug-23-2016): only a bulk download problem caused some drivers to be useless. If downloaded one by one they can be run. 

Options

18 Posts

08-24-2016

United States of America

9 Signins

181 Page Views

• Views: 181
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Slow, explorer crashing, low space on system SSD (Y700-15ISK, wiindows 10 edu)

2016-08-24, 1:03 AM

Maybe first try doing a clean boot? Guide here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Otherwise, my best advice given the amount of troubleshooting you've done with no results is to... do it again (eek!) but in a different way. Try using these sysinternal tools, and their associated community forum to figure out what exactly is happening to your pc:

You have a choice of using the live files, or to download the entire suite, which can be run from the command line, e.g. from command prompt, go to the directory you save the tools in, say C:/windows/system32/ then type the name of the tool you want to use and hit enter. They may work from simply double clicking on them, too.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545021.aspx

After getting some bits of information, take it to the forums, here:

http://forum.sysinternals.com

This in my opinion is your best bet because you have a well versed community that's been around a while, and tools that most of the people are familiar with.

Options

25 Posts

01-11-2016

Italy

27 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

Re: Slow, explorer crashing, low space on system SSD (Y700-15ISK, wiindows 10 edu)

2016-08-24, 1:14 AM

Thanks!
Would you recommend to update the BIOS?

I have CDCN25WW, 04/09/2015, but I see that these new versions (CDCN35WW then to CDCN37WW, Aug-16-2016) have created several problems so I am concerned to cause more issues...

In the meanwhile, I am planning to install all the relevant updates that are provided by LENOVO, now that I managed to download them correctly: 

-Lenovo Utility for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook

-Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook

-Intel VGA Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook

-Energy Manager and Flight Mode Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook

-Lenovo System Interface Foundation for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad, ThinkCentre, IdeaPad, IdeaCentre

-ME recovery tool for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook

-Customer Engagement Service (CCSDK)

-Lenovo System Interface Foundation

-WLAN Driver (Atheros, Realtek, Broadcom)

Thanks again!!

Options

25 Posts

01-11-2016

Italy

27 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2016-08-24, 15:56 PM
Update: I have installed a few other updates I found on Lenovo support page.

Only now, for some reason, the free space has increased from 11GB to 16GB and the computer is a bit faster:
-Lenovo Utility for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook
-Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook
-Energy Manager and Flight Mode Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook
-Audio Driver
-Camera Driver (Realtek, Intel)

A TreeSize analysis is showing that 30% or the space of the drive is occupied by the WIndows folder. 40% of its space is represented by system32 folder. Within this 64% of it is represented by driverStore folder. Of it almost all the space is represented by FileRepository folder (containing 4.988 files and 788 folers):
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository = 6.9GB 

Also there are 3.953 exe and ddl files in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\ that occupy 2.2 GB.

Then C:\Windows\WinSxS folder occupies 6.1GB (68.993 files and 16.111 folders): it comprises folders with weird names such as:
 amd64_microsoft-windows-speechrecognizer-en-us_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240....
 x86_microsoft-windows-m..-components-jetcore_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.163...  
 wow64_microsoft-windows-rasserver_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.16384_none_b...  

Finally there is the C:\Windows\Installer folder tha occupies 2GB (913 files and 128 folders).

Then of course the C:\Program_ Files folder (12.5GB), containing also 7 files that alone occupy 9.7GB (hiberfil.sys = 6.3GB and pagefile.sys = =3.4 GB);
C:\ProgramData = 8.6GB (within this 6.8GB occupied by Microsoft subfolder).
C:\User\UserName\AppData = 6.9 GB
C:\Program_Files_(x86) = 7.87 GB
C:\Recovery = 6.2 GB
C:\Drivers = 6.1 GB

{Drive: C:\ | Size: 96,9 GB | Used: 80,4 GB | Free: 16,4 GB | 4096 Bytes per Cluster (NTFS)
This Folder: Size: 91,1 GB | Allocated: 87,8 GB | Files: 442.572 | Folders: 57.917
 }

...anybody any clue...?
Options

18 Posts

08-24-2016

United States of America

9 Signins

181 Page Views

• Views: 181
  • Message 5 of 5

2016-08-24, 16:51 PM

Good! Any kind of progress is good progress, hehe. And, I wouldn't update the BIOS unless entirely necessary, like for a security vulnerability or something like that. Otherwise just leave it; so much can go wrong upgrading BIOS, I know from experience haha :D

I forgot to mention another site that has a bunch of free and trusted diagnostic tools that can be helpful, check out www.tweaking.com and look at the options to see if they fit your issue. I think your issue is beyond the scope of what I know, but maybe you can get some more info there. Good luck!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms