English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

23 Posts

07-17-2014

TH

38 Signins

558 Page Views

  • Posts: 23
  • Registered: ‎07-17-2014
  • Location: TH
  • Views: 558
  • Message 81 of 88

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

2018-10-28, 1:31 AM

Hi Leno_L,

For me, after replace the MOSFETs, I have never faced this issue anymore since I have never touched the battery gauge reset feature again as it may kill again the MOSFET.

For the soldering, if the MOSFET doesn't have the thermal pad underneath the chip, we can use the simple soldering iron without needed the hot air one.

Cheers!

Reply
Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

  • Posts: 4308
  • Registered: ‎11-18-2012
  • Location: US
  • Views: 610511
  • Message 82 of 88

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

2019-01-30, 11:48 AM


___________________________________________________________
♦ Find a post helpful? Thank that member by clicking on the ☆Star☆ below
     to award them a Kudo.
♦ Posting a problem and a reply is helpful and it answers your question,
     please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Reply
Options

1 Posts

04-25-2019

US

2 Signins

27 Page Views

  • Posts: 1
  • Registered: ‎04-25-2019
  • Location: US
  • Views: 27
  • Message 83 of 88

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

2019-04-25, 22:47 PM

Just wanted to thank the Lenovo forum and thread contributors, especially Jansilp and tesafly. This worked on my Y510p.

 

Interestingly enough, I ran the battery calibration software several years ago without bricking the laptop. However, the charging was affected. If the laptop were low on battery, sometimes connecting the AC adapter would cause it to immediately turn off, as if I had pulled out the battery. This was bearable so I left it.

 

One day, without warning, the computer stopped receiving power from the AC adapter entirely. Jansilp's method of power cycling and reconnecting did not work. The P302 transistor was indeed shorted. The computer has been running reliably (no low-battery-charger-connection-shutoff either) for a month. Thanks again!

Reply
Options

16 Posts

06-20-2016

US

23 Signins

169 Page Views

  • Posts: 16
  • Registered: ‎06-20-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 169
  • Message 84 of 88

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

2019-04-26, 0:34 AM

its no way for me to understand what that:

This is not "battery pluged-in not charging" issue. That issue is software related and can be easily changed the option whether Life or Health of battery you concerned by LEM.

; mean.

Reply
Options

23 Posts

07-17-2014

TH

38 Signins

558 Page Views

  • Posts: 23
  • Registered: ‎07-17-2014
  • Location: TH
  • Views: 558
  • Message 85 of 88

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

2019-04-26, 3:24 AM

 wrote:

Just wanted to thank the Lenovo forum and thread contributors, especially Jansilp and tesafly. This worked on my Y510p.

 

Interestingly enough, I ran the battery calibration software several years ago without bricking the laptop. However, the charging was affected. If the laptop were low on battery, sometimes connecting the AC adapter would cause it to immediately turn off, as if I had pulled out the battery. This was bearable so I left it.

 

One day, without warning, the computer stopped receiving power from the AC adapter entirely. Jansilp's method of power cycling and reconnecting did not work. The P302 transistor was indeed shorted. The computer has been running reliably (no low-battery-charger-connection-shutoff either) for a month. Thanks again!



Good to here you can fix your problem and thank you for sharing the bahavior. 

 

IMHO, the charging circuit may not be designed well enough to handle the inrush current, especially, when the battery is near or empty. This inrush current (very high surge current in a short time) may kill the pass switch in this case is MOSFETs. 

Reply
Options

23 Posts

07-17-2014

TH

38 Signins

558 Page Views

  • Posts: 23
  • Registered: ‎07-17-2014
  • Location: TH
  • Views: 558
  • Message 86 of 88

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

2019-04-26, 3:54 AM

 wrote:

its no way for me to understand what that:

This is not "battery pluged-in not charging" issue. That issue is software related and can be easily changed the option whether Life or Health of battery you concerned by LEM.

; mean.



In Lenovo's Energy Manager software, it allows us to configure the battery charging strategy whether 1) we need the battery always full (100%) all the time or 2) just some certain level i.e., 60% to optimize the battery health when AC adaptor is attached. This feature is called "Conservation Mode" or similar name. 

 

So when "Conservation Mode" is enabled, the battery charging will try to remain the battery level at 60%. By this, will see "Plugged in, not charging" notification in the battery status. This is normal behavior not a problem, and this thread is intended for another issue not for this.

Reply
Options

16 Posts

06-20-2016

US

23 Signins

169 Page Views

  • Posts: 16
  • Registered: ‎06-20-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 169
  • Message 87 of 88

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

2019-04-26, 5:38 AM

Thanks for explanation, by though the case is not related to the thread at all, its needed to add the explanation to the 1st post.

Reply
Options

23 Posts

07-17-2014

TH

38 Signins

558 Page Views

  • Posts: 23
  • Registered: ‎07-17-2014
  • Location: TH
  • Views: 558
  • Message 88 of 88

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

2019-04-26, 6:06 AM

 wrote:

Thanks for explanation, by though the case is not related to the thread at all, its needed to add the explanation to the 1st post.



I think the head of topic itself describes well enough. Anyway, thank you for suggestions!

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete