07-14-2014

North Carolina

9 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 1 of 16

Sound Issues Ideapad P500 - Sound stops working after 5 minutes

2014-07-14, 19:29 PM

All of a sudden, my Lenovo Ideapad P500 (running Win 8) is having sound issues.  The sound will stay on for 5-10 minutes when I start it up or put it to sleep and then wake it up.  After that, the sound will just quit working?  FYI, the Windows 8 updates that were part of the Microsoft monthly security fixes were installed last week and the problem started today??

Does anyone have an idea what may be causing something like this to happen?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

D

Solved! See the solution
Options

6093 Posts

02-11-2012

PH

4456 Signins

274702 Page Views

• Views: 274702
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: Sound Issues Ideapad P500 - Sound stops working after 5 minutes

2014-07-15, 17:35 PM

hi D,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

From your observation, it's possible that the root cause is the sound driver.

To verify, can you try the following:

1. Uninstall the Realtek HD Audio Driver from the Control Panel (large icon view) > Programs and Features and reboot

2. After the reboot, Windows will now install a generic sound driver (High Definition Audio). Try to re-create the issue that you're having and observe.

3. If using the generic sound driver fixes it, try re-installing the audio driver from the D:\Drivers\Audio folder or from this link:

Realtek Audio Driver for 64-bit Windows

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

07-14-2014

North Carolina

9 Signins

58 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

2014-07-15, 20:07 PM
neokenchi,

So far so good! Uninstalling and reinstalling the Realtek driver has taken care of the issue.

Good work and thank you for your help!!
D
Options

5 Posts

07-14-2014

North Carolina

9 Signins

58 Page Views

• Message 4 of 16

2014-07-16, 12:35 PM

I spoke too soon...after shutting the laptop down overnight the problem is back.  This really sucks!

Options

6093 Posts

02-11-2012

PH

4456 Signins

274702 Page Views

• Message 5 of 16

2014-07-16, 13:08 PM

hi Daviedawg,

A few questions:

1. When you plugin an earphone, do you get any sound?

2. When you play a music (eg. via iTunes or youtube), is the volume bar fluctuating (this indicates that the sound card is working).

3. If you stick with the generic sound driver and not install the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver from the D:\Drivers\Audio folder or from the lenovo website, do you still get the same issue?

Let me know how it goes

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

07-14-2014

North Carolina

9 Signins

58 Page Views

• Message 6 of 16

2014-07-16, 13:42 PM

Neokenchi,

My answers are underlined below.

1. When you plugin an earphone, do you get any sound? Yes

2. When you play a music (eg. via iTunes or youtube), is the volume bar fluctuating (this indicates that the sound card is working). Yes

3. If you stick with the generic sound driver and not install the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver from the D:\Drivers\Audio folder or from the lenovo website, do you still get the same issue? No, the generic driver works fine so it must be an issue with the Realrek driver? FYI, I have had this laptop for over a year and never have had a problem until this week.  I have uninstalled the Realtek driver and am using the generic driver.  The quality is not good but the sound works. 

Any suggestions?  Thanks again for your help!

D

Options

6093 Posts

02-11-2012

PH

4456 Signins

274702 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2014-07-16, 15:30 PM

hi D,

When the no sound problem occurs (built-in speaker) but you can see the volume fluctuates and hear the sound when using earphones then its possible that there's something shorting those speakers - or possibly there's getting defective already but this doesn't explain why the sound works on the generic audio driver - so it's possible that there's a conflict somewhere in the OS and the Realtek Audio Driver.

Things that you can try:

1. Instead of running the Realtek Audio Driver installer (by running the setup.exe), try to manually install the driver by doing the following:

- navigate to Device Manager > Sound, video, and game controllers

- right click on HIgh Definition Audio > Update Driver > Browse computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of  device drivers on my computer > Have Disk

- navigate to the C:\Drivers\Realtek Audio Driver\WDM or the D:\Drivers\Realtek Audio Driver\WDM folder and manually install the .ini file for the audio driver.

- check this guide for screenshots

2. If same problem, can can either do a System Restore, a system Refresh or Reset or press the OneKey Recovery button to restore the OS to its factory settings (this will isolate the issue on the OS level).

Regards

Options

3 Posts

07-18-2014

Providence

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 8 of 16

2014-07-18, 0:16 AM
Hi,

My Lenovo P500 started having sound failures after the latest Microsoft Windows 8 update, as well.

I noticed that, in my case, the volume bar is not fluctuating when YouTube or iTunes is running. In fact, YouTube videos and iTunes do not seem to run at all. The sound failure is intermittent; sometimes I will turn on my laptop and there will be sound--other times, not so much. Please help.
Options

2 Posts

07-20-2014

USA

1 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 9 of 16

2014-07-20, 6:25 AM

I'm having the same sound issue. It's been going on a couple of days. I have'nt updated any Windows anything. I get no sound from any output.

Options

3 Posts

07-18-2014

Providence

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 10 of 16

2014-07-20, 13:04 PM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete