Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

410 Posts

06-08-2012

Ankara , Turkey

351 Signins

9930 Page Views

• Views: 9930
  • Message 11 of 30

Re: Unable to access BIOS

2014-06-06, 12:16 PM

Hi Lorne ,  

That might be the issue , What you did is  simply called " Hardware Hacking" :))   You removed  the hardware installed and verified by Lenovo which orginally come with entire laptop.  I strongly  advice to return original state !  Not only BIOS problem you might even get Blue Screen Erros in the future and many others.  it is compatibility issue. Do you use Lenovo Verified Harddisk , is there any one of it  in market . I don't know. The most common mistake is people make they change Laptops hardware like Desktop PCies. Then face problems like this.  Maybe the harddisk  you installed is looking for more power which might causing issue that lets  keyboard missfunction and  you can't access BIOS.     

I strongly  do not advice playing with hardware in that way , you may loose your warranty even. Lenovo is not responsible  with the hardware change you made by your self  which might cause the issue !   I am absolutely sure that   you cant find any Official Lenovo Provided Document content that states "you can change harddisk by yourself."   

I can just suggest to   do bios update , this might help or might create another problem. It is your decision to make BIOS update and responsibilty ! You may burn motherboard if you don't do it correctly. 

Best Of Luck 

Options

41 Posts

05-12-2014

USA

102 Signins

1145 Page Views

• Views: 1145
  • Message 12 of 30

2014-06-07, 5:09 AM

I'm also pretty sure that changing a hard drive doesn't void a warranty.  Lenovo's omission of permission to swap harddrives is NOT the same as Lenovo saying you can't swap harddrives.

Swapping a user-accessible harddrive is not exactly "hardware hacking" though this does not mean he is not correct that it may be causing your problem.  What happens when you put the original harddrive in?

The BIOS should not need ANY harddisc inside anyway.  The UEFI might.  Not sure how it is setup, but BIOS is part of the firmware while UEFI can be placed after the firmware on NAND flash or the harddrive.  Still a bit confused as to the BIOS/UEFI distinction but Lenovo seems to have a BIOS menu that can boot into UEFI.  I believe ANY computer that has a UEFI setup should be able boot a BIOS from firmware.

So the only way you can get to the boot menu is via the NOVO button (and not F12)?  And it fails when you select BIOS from NOVO menu and F2, correct?

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 13 of 30

2014-06-07, 6:46 AM

Just a comment to some issues in particular the replacement of the hdd. I had mine replaced with the same capacity but of the sshd type. Its been running for a year now and have not encountered any problem. The difference in this case and mine is that cloning is use  Another difference is that OKR does not work in this case while mine does. However, I can not believe that due to cloning it will cause the inaccessibility of the bios. To test just put back the original hdd and observed if you can now go to bios.

Options

410 Posts

06-08-2012

Ankara , Turkey

351 Signins

9930 Page Views

• Message 14 of 30

2014-06-07, 8:33 AM

Simply if you are using a hard drive which is not verfied by Lenovo for that specific Laptop , Lenovo is not responsible of any hardware and software issues you changed and created by your self  !  For your information , Chaging hard drive is not allowed some countries , can cause warranty lose  !  

What you are trying to do is excatly hardware hacking , because Lenovo works on hardwares compatibilty specifically Make Tests and builds a new laptop.

What  you are trying to do is adding hardware which is not originally comes with Lenovo or Lenovo Verified . It is compatibility is not tested. It is luck if the harddisk working properly which you think that is working maybe cause more heat to CPU which you cant watch everytime.

Every harddisk functionally can be same in terms of keeping files , but  from hardware perspective can not be same.

Examples

Compatibility Tested and Verified

(Mainboard1 , Harddisk1 , DVD1 , GPU1 etc..  combination of Lenovos New Laptop )  

(Luck Works Here ) Compatibility is not Tested and Not Verfied  out of Lenovo Coverage , It is your responsibility from this moment. Lenovo's orginal hardware hacked by you ! It is removed ! becuase the hardware you bought is not provided by Lenovo and Verified ! 

(You go and buy Mainboard2  DVD2 , GPU2 Harddisk2 etc..  and install ) 

Originality is gone , Expect Problems , Expect 0 Problems , all about LUCK

Assume , 

Your  motherboard burned , you send it to service center , they will change it with Originally mainboard1 which is verfied , they will not go to market and buy and install mainboard2 becuase they know that it will not fit and create problem. 

Deep into hardware please !

Regards 

Options

32 Posts

03-21-2013

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

42 Signins

198 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 198
  • Message 15 of 30

2014-06-07, 10:27 AM

It is not the HDD causing any problem.  I put the old one back in which tqakes 4 times longer to boot up but still does not allow me to get to the BIOS.  Also you should be able to get to the BIOS without any HDD in the machine.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 16 of 30

2014-06-07, 11:57 AM

wrote:

Simply if you are using a hard drive which is not verfied by Lenovo for that specific Laptop , Lenovo is not responsible of any hardware and software issues you changed and created by your self  !  For your information , Chaging hard drive is not allowed some countries , can cause warranty lose  !  

What you are trying to do is excatly hardware hacking , because Lenovo works on hardwares compatibilty specifically Make Tests and builds a new laptop.

What  you are trying to do is adding hardware which is not originally comes with Lenovo or Lenovo Verified . It is compatibility is not tested. It is luck if the harddisk working properly which you think that is working maybe cause more heat to CPU which you cant watch everytime.

Every harddisk functionally can be same in terms of keeping files , but  from hardware perspective can not be same.

Examples

Compatibility Tested and Verified

(Mainboard1 , Harddisk1 , DVD1 , GPU1 etc..  combination of Lenovos New Laptop )  

(Luck Works Here ) Compatibility is not Tested and Not Verfied  out of Lenovo Coverage , It is your responsibility from this moment. Lenovo's orginal hardware hacked by you ! It is removed ! becuase the hardware you bought is not provided by Lenovo and Verified ! 

(You go and buy Mainboard2  DVD2 , GPU2 Harddisk2 etc..  and install ) 

Originality is gone , Expect Problems , Expect 0 Problems , all about LUCK

Assume , 

Your  motherboard burned , you send it to service center , they will change it with Originally mainboard1 which is verfied , they will not go to market and buy and install mainboard2 becuase they know that it will not fit and create problem. 

Deep into hardware please !

Regards 

Just a comment. I think you should open up another post regarding the different issues you raised. This is I believed no longer addresses the issue raised by the op. In fact the discussion has diverted to your issues and not to the issue of accessing the bios.

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 17 of 30

2014-06-07, 12:25 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Message 18 of 30

2014-06-07, 12:32 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Message 19 of 30

2014-06-07, 13:08 PM

@ all,

some posts have been removed which were not conducive to moving the discussion forwards.  Please ensure your posts stay on topic and squabbling doesn't help the OP.

Andy  

PepperonI blog 

Options

410 Posts

06-08-2012

Ankara , Turkey

351 Signins

9930 Page Views

• Message 20 of 30

2014-06-07, 13:18 PM

@ Lorne , 

Please Unplug all power   including battery if it is not integrated , press the power button for 30 seconds , then plug the machine try to get into Bios. 

Let us know if problem persists !  

Thanks 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms