Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

09-14-2016

Germany

21 Signins

200 Page Views

• Views: 200
  • Message 1 of 1

Why do I have sudden FPS drops with my Lenovo IdeaPad Y50-70?

2016-09-15, 7:51 AM

Hello,

I’m new here and hope that someone can help me with my problem.

First the specs of my notebook:

-Lenovo IdeaPad Y50-70

-CPU: Intel Core i5-4210, 2,9GHz, 2 Cores

-RAM: 8GB

-GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600/ NVIDIA Geforce 960M

-hard drive: 890GB HDD, 25GB SSD

Since two months or so I have FPS drops in my games. I didn’t have them before. I’m sure that Fallout 4, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, etc. worked perfectly fine. But then it started.

Here an example of the FPS drops:

In League of Legends, which I had first installed on the SSD, I always had a FPS of 90-180. Sometimes it drops to 10-20, when in a teamfight or even when simply moving. I installed it on the HDD now and have the feeling the drops happen less often. The FPS there is 60 and when it drops 9-13.

And that’s what happens in a lot of games. In Skyrim, Fallout 4, Bastion, Far Cry 3 etc. They just lag when I move or when fighting…

For weeks now I have searched for a solution, but found nothing that helped… I did/have checked the following things:

-Using the lowest settings. Drops still happen. Even if it’s not a high end gaming notebook, I’m still expecting that it can play games like Fallout 4, Skyrim, Far Cry 3 and LoL on the highest settings. The recommendations are met after all. These drops even happen in very old games like Stalker – Shadow of Chernobyl…

-Drivers are all updated. I checked on that several times already.

-Removed malware. I used programs like Adw Cleaner, Junkware Removal Tool, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and RogueKiller.

-When playing games I never have anything open in the background. I also removed any unnecessary programs and deactivated everything that I don't need in the autostart.

-Turned of the BatteryBoost in Nvidia Geforce Experience.

-Turned the energy manager on best performance.

-Optimized the HDD.

-Checked the hard drives with Seatools. Nothing found. (The hard drive is making noises sometimes when the drops happen.)

-I deactivated all my mods in Skyrim; nothing changed. I don’t use mods in other games.

-I checked the temperatures of course. I used programs like Speedfan, Core Temp, HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner. The temps on desktop are always around 40-45 degree celsius, while in game around 70. Last time I checked with Afterburner, in Skyrim the GPU and CPU had 65 and in LoL the GPU had 48 and  CPU 65. In my opinions these are good temps. Even if overheating would be the problem, I could simply use a cooler, which I had to use for my old notebook. I tried it and in Skyrim I had around 55 degree celsius then, but the FPS drops were still there.

-I even checked my mouse because I read in one thread that a mouse was causing lags. Uninstalled the drivers, still drops there without the mouse.

-I read something about the Lenovo Y-series and that Lenovo uses throttling to reduce heat… I then downloaded the programm ThrottleStop, which helped others with this problem, and used it, but it didn’t help either. But I don’t really know if I used the right settings. I had the multiplier on 35 and had Disable Turbo and BD PROCHOT unchecked.

-I always play with charging cable plugged in otherwise the lags get even more extreme (in Skyrim at least). But that’s not a surprise for me, the battery is very weak after all.

I just don’t know what to do anymore. I bought it last year in november because I needed a new gaming notebook. I bought it because my budget is not high and it was the best for it's price... Maybe here someone can help me. I would appreciate it. :)

Edit: I read a bit further into the throttling issue and it seems, that that's the problem... I can see in MSI Afterburner that the clock number is reducing while such a fps drop happens. I guess I found the cause now. But is there a solution to this or do I have to live with this now? Is this also an issue in other gaming notebooks?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms