Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-24-2012

america

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 1 of 3

Y480 Clean Win 7 install problems with SSD, please help!

2012-07-24, 21:32 PM

I recently purchased a y480 with the 1TB hdd and 32 GB mSATA drive. I purchased a sandisk extreme 240gb ssd, switched out the 1TB hdd and tried to perform a clean install with Win 7 on a usb stick (don’t have a dvd).

I got to the select a drive section and encountered problems. Windows can see my ssd but it says its unable to create a new partition for it. I have tried the advanced options and can’t get it to work.

I have been told that i may need to remove the 32gb mSATA for the install to work but its location is not listed in the user manual. Does anyone know where it is so I can remove it?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Greg

***I have tried the method utilized in this youtube video but I still encounter the same issue

Setup was unable to create a new system partition

Answer
Options

1244 Posts

11-02-2011

India

1456 Signins

9967 Page Views

• Views: 9967

Re: Y480 Clean Win 7 install problems with SSD, please help!

2012-08-01, 14:22 PM

Hi

Welcome To Lenovo Community

The SSD is near to the main hard drive , you need to open the base plate to remove SSD

Please refer HMM for more details

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=UM015371

Cheers!!!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with Kudos!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!  This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

1244 Posts

11-02-2011

India

1456 Signins

9967 Page Views

• Views: 9967
  • Message 2 of 3

2012-08-01, 14:22 PM

Hi

Welcome To Lenovo Community

The SSD is near to the main hard drive , you need to open the base plate to remove SSD

Please refer HMM for more details

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=UM015371

Cheers!!!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with Kudos!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!  This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

44 Posts

07-15-2012

Netherlands

237 Signins

890 Page Views

• Views: 890
  • Message 3 of 3

2012-08-01, 14:29 PM
It could also help to completely disable the 32gb Msata from the intel raid storage utility (right after boot). It's probably still setup as a member of a raid/cache drive. Setting the drive control to AHCI might also help.

Good luck.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms