Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

05-29-2015

India

9 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 1 of 3

Y50 - 70: Installing a clean copy of Windows

2015-06-16, 9:30 AM

In about less than 2 months, we will have Windows 10 available. I have already signed up for a copy of it which will come free due to the current offer.

The situation here is this : I am going to install a clean copy of windows since there are quite a few problems I wish to address that came with the preinstalled copy of my 8.1.

Now there are a few questions i would like the community to help me solve.

1. My windows is using UEFI as its firmware and boot type(forgive any newbish mistakes please; as I am new to the UEFI buisness); so, should I pick to install windows with UEFI or would a legacy type be better in some way?

2. Will the product key insert itself automatically during installation or would the product key I recovered using Belarc Advisor work instead? Because some sources say that the key inserts itself automatically and some do not leaving one very confused.

3. There are a no. of system partitions showing in disk management. Can you advise me which ones to format, keep or change in some way for the installation and betterment in general {image below}? The C and D partitions I am already going to format and repartition; please tell me if there should be any problem regarding this and what is best not messed with.

Disk Management

4. I have a hybrid 1TB+8GB SSD Drive, will installing a clean copy affect it in any way? Because i heard from one of my sources that doing so somehow boggled up their hybrid drive.

Besides that i would appreciate any insight, problems or thoughts you may have regarding this that i should consider.

Laptop Specs:

Lenovo Y50-70 (59-440646)

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

RAM - 16 GBytes PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

VRAM - 4Gbytes(GTX 860M) + 1Gbytes(Intel HD Graphics 4600)

BIOS Version - 9ECN37WW(V2.01) by Lenovo

Firmware Type - UEFI

OS - Microsoft Windows 8.1 (6.3) 64-bit (Build 9600)

Omnia Possum : Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Modus Adipisci
Options

5 Posts

05-28-2014

Pakistan

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Y50 - 70: Installing a clean copy of Windows

2015-06-16, 10:02 AM

Microsoft FPP Product keys are sensitive case, Because Microsoft provide it for only one system at the same time, I was need the windows 7 key for my laptop to upgrade from home premium to professional, So I contact to Microsoft but they denied to give me a sigle fpp key, So I search all over the world to purchase it.
Recently, I ordered at a site from India, They provided me 3 windows 7 pro oem keys with their stickers and 2 windows 8.1 pro oem keys, Which is legal and working good. I'm happy after getting so cheap oem license.
You can also get an unused Windows 7(any version)8, 8.1 pro License key from: ODosta Store

Otherwise, FPP keys are very costly, Usually it come with full package with DVD media, So I suggest to buy oem keys, Which has branded from Dell, Hp, Lenovo etc, As its mean "Original Equipment Manufaturer" Goods.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Y50 - 70: Installing a clean copy of Windows

2015-06-16, 13:02 PM

1. My windows is using UEFI as its firmware and boot type(forgive any newbish mistakes please; as I am new to the UEFI buisness); so, should I pick to install windows with UEFI or would a legacy type be better in some way?
Comment: You have to decide in terms of security which one you should choose:
                   a. UEFI - provides security
                   b. Legacy - No security

In terms of largest capacity of hdd that can be access:

a. UEFI - requires GPT style partition thus can access a very large hdd compared to MBR style partition.

2. Will the product key insert itself automatically during installation or would the product key I recovered using Belarc Advisor work instead? Because some sources say that the key inserts itself automatically and some do not leaving one very confused.
Comment: Product key will be automatically detected and accepted if the version of Windows you're installing is the same version as the pre-installed. Otherwise you will be ask to provide it during the installation.

3. There are a no. of system partitions showing in disk management. Can you advise me which ones to format, keep or change in some way for the installation and betterment in general {image below}? The C and D partitions I am already going to format and repartition; please tell me if there should be any problem regarding this and what is best not messed with.
Comment: If you intend to keep OKR feature, then just select C as the location of your installation (Note: I'm not sure if this work but it is suggested somewhere in the forum). If you have no intention of keeping it then delete all partitions before proceeding (this will result to a clean installation).

4. I have a hybrid 1TB+8GB SSD Drive, will installing a clean copy affect it in any way? Because i heard from one of my sources that doing so somehow boggled up their hybrid drive.
Comment: There were report about some problem for your model, but I can't confirm them since I don't have such a model. However, I have the Seagate SSHD installed in my Z500 and it is working without any problem.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms