Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

02-28-2015

Czech Republic

27 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 331 of 552

Re: Y50-70 Windows regularly freezes when 1TB SSHD is spinning up

2015-06-05, 19:52 PM
That was supposed to be a reply to: "After two months of use, yesterday I got notified by Action Centre that my hard drive failed and I needed to reboot to fix it. Check disk was performed on reboot. I did not know this was an issue but it seems that every one is in the same boat. I hope Lenovo finds a solution soon."
Options

19 Posts

06-19-2015

London

53 Signins

379 Page Views

• Views: 379
  • Message 332 of 552

2015-06-19, 6:56 AM

HI i resently bought the lenovo y50 70 gaming laptop , since first days all  looks good but my laptop stops responding in random timing ang use, it slowly lagging the cursor starts spinning and after comes completely unresponsive ( windows)  im wondering how is possible a new expensive laptop and im not able to do basic staff . i have the :   wdc wd10s21x-24r1bt0-sshd-8gb hard drive and im almost sure is not able to run this laptops needs properly  but still i dont get  why this company allows their product problematic to go to users.

Options

10 Posts

06-19-2015

Miami

16 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 333 of 552

2015-06-19, 20:53 PM

I have this issue too. I convinced Lenovo to replace the SSHD, and according to the service summary they were able to reproduce the issue. But the issue persists. The Y50's are not inexpensice systems and I don't have another $500 to shell out to fix a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. Lenovo, you need to do a recall and replace these SSHD's with better hardware.

Options

6 Posts

05-11-2015

United States

63 Signins

288 Page Views

• Views: 288
  • Message 334 of 552

2015-06-21, 14:52 PM

As others who have posted in this forum I too have the same issues and have the same WDC-WD10S21X-24R1BT0-SSHD-8GB hard drive. I’m not a gamer, so I haven’t experienced the gaming issues, however, I would get frequent freezing/hesitation when doing almost anything on this computer including typing a Word document or working in Excel. I would type several letters and nothing would appear for a second or two, then it would appear all at once. Also, the computer would freeze in the middle of simple operations such as copying or deleting files, which led to deleting things I didn’t want to delete or copying to the wrong place, etc. Basically, a big pain.

I also tried many, many different suggestions such as changing power settings deleting all the bloatware and doing a clean install of Windows 8.1 two times, with no improvement.

After waiting for a long time and seeing how long this forum has been going on I decided like others to replace the hard drive on my own. For less than $100 I installed a 1TB Seagate SSHD and cloned the WD dive using free software I found online (AOMEI Backupper). Again, as others have experienced, I am now convinced that the original Western Digital SSHD is the problem. I can now use my laptop with none of the previous issues – it actually functions like an i7 machine. I also purchased an external hard drive enclosure with the intent of using the WD drive as a backup drive. I’ve seen in this forum where others have found that the drive functions without problems in this application, most likely because the SSD part of the drive is inactive in the external enclosure.

Maybe Lenovo will come through and offer a firmware fix or some other compensation, but I found the long delay to be unacceptable as this is my only computer and my first Lenovo! Hopefully this post will help others. Good luck to all!

Options

19 Posts

06-19-2015

London

53 Signins

379 Page Views

• Message 335 of 552

2015-06-22, 8:05 AM

Thanx both 4 replying. Actually isnt  about games my lenovo is freezing in any possible moment and without specific use sometimes i just open the pc and after a while not responding , its totally unacceptable specally for its money.Anyways i am soon about to change the current drive with an SSD EVO 850 250 GB  myself ,just i know that if im going to open the laptop im about to loose 2 years guarantee.anyway i dont see a solution 

Options

19 Posts

06-19-2015

London

53 Signins

379 Page Views

• Message 336 of 552

2015-06-22, 14:35 PM
how long have you beed using it with the new drive and without problems? i mean are u sure it was the sshd the problem? asking cause if i do the replacement maybe i loose the quarantee..
Options

6 Posts

05-11-2015

United States

63 Signins

288 Page Views

• Views: 288
  • Message 337 of 552

2015-06-22, 22:53 PM
Hi Panoukla. It has been 3 weeks since I replaced my hard drive. I am personally convinced that this was the problem with my laptop, and others in this forum seem to have had the same experience. I did also do a clean install of Windows so that it would not have the bloatware that came on the computer originally. I don’t know if installing a new drive will invalidate the warranty, but I felt my computer was not usable with the old drive so I was willing to take the risk. Good luck!
Options

10 Posts

06-19-2015

Miami

16 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 338 of 552

2015-06-22, 23:08 PM

Edit: (Updated information)

My system is being returned to the depot for further investigation. Lenovo Hardware Support is now aware and tracking the problem. Please, if you are also experiencing this problem with your Y50-70, and are located in the U.S., contact hadware support and ask to speak to John (ID 126652). Tell him you have a Y50-70 and are experiencing issues with the SSHD. He is actively tracking this problem and we are working together to see it become resolved. You may be asked to have your system sent in for repairs and testng. Please comply with this. The more cases that are investigated, the higher this will be escelated.

Please have patience and know that Lenovo is in fact trying to resolve this issue. The problem is that the forums are not the best place to report hardware troubles and so this has been flying under the radar. Amy has been working on this I'm sure, but Haardware Support and the depot techs have remained largely unaware of this problem.

If a universal problem is found with the SSHD of the Y50-70, we can expect a solution. Lenovo is treating this very seriously, but they need more systems to inspect. So please call them immediately and report the problem.

Thank you.

6/26/15 EDIT: Added location of depot as this applies only to customers located in the U.S. Amy_Lenovo

Options

5 Posts

06-24-2015

London

6 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 339 of 552

2015-06-24, 8:17 AM

So having had powerful laptops before which have started heating up ridiculously quickly, I have to say I'm been impressed with my Y70-70 in that regard, but I've steered clear of gaming for the first 6 months.

This weekend I decided to play a bit of X-Com Enemy Within and it handled it easily. The problem was every so often I'd tell one of my soldiers to perform a task, it would freeze for a second or so. Then I'd hear the HDD whizz up and it'd start working again.

I thought maybe it was just a glitch on the game or something, so I tried again the next day after a restart and a graphics card update, but the problem just kept happening.

I started using my computer with task manager up so I could see if the hard drive was being overworked. Just browsing the internet was causing the disk to 100% several times, which left me fustrated. That shouldn't be happening.

I googled the hard drive part number and that led me here.

I don't know whether I should wait for Windows 10 and see if that changes anything, or just start talking to Lenovo/John Lewis now and get a replacement.

I've noticed that John Lewis now offer the Y70-70 with a 256GB SSD instead of the hybrid, but it's more expensive than when I bought it. I'm contemplating going to back to them asking for a refund and I'll pay the difference.

So does anyone think there's a chance Windows 10 fixes this?

Options

19 Posts

06-19-2015

London

53 Signins

379 Page Views

• Message 340 of 552

2015-06-24, 8:43 AM

Hi , the think is that me and most of the people here and many others i quess have had already spend their time and money to this laptop and they dont really have the patience and the time to deal with this , anyway do you have this phone number of that  John ? 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms