Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

United States of America

9980 Signins

610541 Page Views

• Views: 610541
  • Message 461 of 552

Re: Y50-70 Windows regularly freezes when 1TB SSHD is spinning up

2015-11-09, 7:08 AM
Options

1609 Posts

09-16-2014

United States of America

3048 Signins

61403 Page Views

• Views: 61403
  • Message 462 of 552

2015-11-14, 3:10 AM

An additional root cause of poor performance has been identified on Y50-70 and Y50-70 Touch laptops with 1TB SSHDs. It has been determined that these laptops can suffer from video stuttering or lag when certain applications run but the Nvidia Discrete GPU is not selected.

The following workaround has been identified and is documented here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/SF15-I0030

• Right click on the computer's desktop.
  • Open the Nvidia Control Panel.
  • In "Manage 3D settings", go to "1. Select a program to customize:" and select the program displaying the lag.
  • Next to it, select "Add".
  • Beneath it, go to  "2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:"
  • Select “High Performance Nvidia processor” from the pull-down menu.
  • Select “Apply” and close the Nvidia Control Panel.

To determine if the desired application is benefitting from the Nvidia Discrete GPU, click “Desktop” in the Nvidia Control Panel. Then select “Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area”. This will place the Display GPU Activity Indicator into the task bar. When the Nvidia Discrete GPU is being utilized, the icon will change color.

Thank you,

Options

14 Posts

04-07-2015

France

41 Signins

310 Page Views

• Views: 310
  • Message 463 of 552

2015-11-22, 15:26 PM

Dear Amy,

Come on, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver is dated from the 14‎/‎07‎/‎2015. Are Lenovo engineers seriously stating this issue can be solved with a three months-old driver a majority of users updated already ?

Would not you agree that this drive is doomed ? Have a look on those benchmarks: http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/12991/WDC-WD10S21X-24R1BT0-SSHD-8GB

Why isn't this drive sold separatly ? Why is it not included in any firmware update published from the WD side ?

WD really deserve to be sued as I believe they took Lenovo for a ride. I feel so as a customer who was advertised that this drive would perform blazing fast :(

So the only acceptable solution I have found is to get rid with this turd and to replace it with a true SSD. My warranty period expired so I dont care. Samsung 850 EVO SSDs are actually cheap enough and give my lappy a second life.

Anyway, my only regret is I had to pay it.

Options

7 Posts

11-22-2015

Netherlands

14 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 464 of 552

2015-11-22, 17:09 PM

hmm, i just noticed this topic. let me replace my post from the other topic here. Maybe I will recieve an answer with a 'waterproof' solution 

Me too have the Y50-70, with the (almost) exact same problems,

I doubt reinstalling Windows solves the problem, atleast, it is not 100% sure it does. On antoher forum at the Nvidia website, a user writes this:

Hi all ,

Please help me, I have recently purchased Lenovo y50-70 (no touch) and I am experiencing a lot of problems with the NVidia card and the laptop itself.

When I install AutoCAD and 3ds MAX, they cannot run properly, freeze on loading and the most important thing is that in the NVidia properties, I cannot add these programs. They are like frozen inside the NVidia panel – without the ability to change the options - http://prntscr.com/8znffq
AutoCAD also showed me a message “The hardware Acceleration is ON, but you may experience some performance issues as your graphic card does not meet the recommended criteria”

Overall the system is very slow.

I do not know what is going on, whether it does not detect the NVidia or need some special adjustments for the drivers/bios.
I have tried until now with no result:
-Reinstalled windows 7 64 bits more than 8 times and tried 2 different windows sources, always clean install, trying manually installing drivers in order or automatically
- Clean NVidia drivers install
- Bios Update (downloaded from Lenovo)
- try with a little bit older NVidia drivers
- Run Hardware scan – no problems
- tested the same programs on different Lenovo - no problem running, no problem with NVidia options.

Laptop Specifications:
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.60GHz/3.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB
16.0GB PC3L-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

link:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/893521/geforce-mobile-gpus/y50-70-nvidia-860m-problems-please-help/

This guy uses the exact same laptop as I do (although Im not sure I've over 2,5 GHz..) and did the thing I was about to do: just reinstalling Windows 10 by using the One-Key button, going back to the initial state, starting windows 8, download windows 10, installing windows 10, wait some more to active the 'upgrading windows', than finally installing the games. Keep in mind that this whole process requires you - as the user -  to babysit the notebook for as long as 3 to 6 hours. I went through this process 3 times by now, and currently U simply did a system recovery to the first state of windows 10. 

Last week I played the new Star Wars battlefront. I ran perfectly fine, untill i booted up the laptop (from sleepmode) the next day discovering that I cant play this game. It freezes, hardlocks, and Im forced to reboot the laptop by holding down the power button, something Im always afraid of doing it, since it can possibly cause even more problems...

Till I played SW Battlefront, I was able to run games like Batman Arkham Knight and Killing Floor 2 (also games from 2015) just perfectly fine. But now, Batman seems to crash when I go to the Map-menu in the game.

Everything I've read on this forum, including the quote I placed here, I experienced myself. I even install Nvidia drivers by downloading those from their website, instead of the unreliable G-force Experience program. I went from old to the newest drivers, back to drivers a little older than those, but no luck at all.*

*all possible drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Currently Im using lenovos default driver, which is version 353,62. The others just bring trouble it seems like.

At this point Im clueless, and I lost about 2 whole weekends to these errors. Am I seriously expected to reinstall Windows 8 and 10 over and over again till Windows jsut happen to install correctly? I sorry for sounding sarcastic, but reading on the other forum the following just makes me very nervous: "All the various problems caused in the machine is because of 1tb + 8gb sshd hard drive, replace it with aa proper ssd for that." 

Options

6 Posts

11-09-2015

India

20 Signins

221 Page Views

• Views: 221
  • Message 465 of 552

2015-11-22, 19:06 PM

Hello to all,

especially amy_lenovo and lenovo.

I have fiddled with my laptop for quite a bit now,

after completing a cruel diskcheck (which did show that there is a hdd failure because the drive had lost of unreadable sectors). As the unreadable sectors were mainly in the first 60 gb of the disk , i just created a 60 gb hard disk for windows , and installed all my programs onto other partitions. 

I will certainly call for a hdd replacement soon, but certainly all your *possible solutions* are as useless as the hdd my laptop currently has. 

As for performance by avoiding usage of the bad sectors in my hard disk :

Disk read 100Mb/s , write 60Mb/s , though its specified the disk is like the lowest possible speeds you can achieve with hdds under use these days.

Nvidia card is working perfectly and all my programs run fine (driver version : 355.60) .

Some windows applications run slow ( mainly the metro apps and media applications).

So i guess its pretty clear that all our hdds are slowly kind of *dying* with time , Why isnt lenovo accepting the fact that the hard disk is faulty and trying to find software based solutions...............

I know you will never answer me , for I am just one customer , and what is one customer like ?

Well atleast to lenovo its *let him cry* rather than *lets help him*  i guess.

This laptop was bought from Money hardworked for. For you its just a purchase , for us its an investment we have to live with for atleast a few years. Hope you understand and act accordingly.

Thank you.

P.S:    You might also close this thread for there will never be any real solution given by lenovo as the only real solution is replacing the hdd with some other model , a huge bump in the company's economy.

Options

7 Posts

11-22-2015

Netherlands

14 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 466 of 552

2015-11-22, 19:32 PM

"This laptop was bought from Money hardworked for. For you its just a purchase , for us its an investment we have to live with for atleast a few years. Hope you understand and act accordingly."

My feelings exactly. Spent about €1350,- to get this laptop (including insurence) with the mindset that 'surely and expensive, gaming-focused machine can just run anything at atleast Medium settings for the upcoming 3 years or so'. I bought this latop early september, and since Battlefront, it is like its dying on me already.

I just spent my second FULL weekend (I can only do this in weekends, since I do have to work!!) trying to find out what is going wrong and fixing it. I mean, its a brand new device, why do I still have to work on this??

Options

7 Posts

11-22-2015

Netherlands

14 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 467 of 552

2015-11-26, 8:05 AM

kicking this thread up because other threads are starting about the same. Afterall, this thread comes the closest to the solution I feel like..

Options

14 Posts

12-26-2014

Poland

26 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 468 of 552

2015-11-26, 8:29 AM

Right, ppl just started crying because there is no solution at all.. buy new ssd, or new laptop, but remember dont do the same mistake twice, don't choose lenovo..

Options

7 Posts

11-22-2015

Netherlands

14 Signins

140 Page Views

• Message 469 of 552

2015-11-26, 9:15 AM
This is actually the second Lenovo being in my household and both had HDD problems. The other one had to be replaced because of some serious registry error.

That having said, im going for a SSD and hopefully this brand new laptop will last atleast 2 years. Including the SSD i have spent about 1500 euros on this thing and a lot of time reinstallen drivers and windows'.

Im doing this because i doubt lenovo helps their customers. I mean , this thread is a year old without a true solution..
Options

4 Posts

08-12-2015

UK

26 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 470 of 552

2015-11-28, 1:08 AM

I am tempted to try replacing the sshd with an ssd, but I've read too many horror stories from people who've broken the back cover whilst doing this.

I am still hopeful that Lenovo might be able to come up with a genuine solution to the problems described in this thread beyond updating drivers and tinkering with gpu settings, however they don't seem to be in any great hurry to do so... 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)