Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

24 Posts

05-10-2015

uk

31 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 481 of 552

Re: Y50-70 Windows regularly freezes when 1TB SSHD is spinning up

2015-12-20, 10:11 AM
Starryfire - have you tried using quiethd or crystal disk info to turn off power saving features?
Options

3 Posts

12-20-2015

India

15 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 482 of 552

2015-12-20, 14:06 PM

My laptop model is Lenovo Y50-70 59445565 . It came preinstalled with Windows 10 . I have the same problem in my 5 yr old Sony Vaio laptop when i upgraded it to Windows 10 but even then it still works much faster than this Lenovo laptop .

No ,i haven't tried quietHDD but i have tried disabling superfetch , windows search and BITS . Before disabling superfetch , my disk usage was at 100% most of the time , causing lag and hangs and sometimes even black screen to flash on my screen and making everything ok again . Now that i have disabled superfetch , the 100% disk usage problem still persist but now only whenever the disc is accessed as i suspect was the case before i disabled superfetch . Now disk usage spikes to 100% whenever i transfer files between my external and internal HDD or whenever i open a new application . When i am transferring files , the lags becomes so high that i am unable to even browse properly . I have set the HDD to never turn off in advanced power settings and checked all the policies of the HDD in device manager>HDD properties . I have also updated my BIOS ( it was already upto date ) and  Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers . I also turned off windows notifications and i also updated my NVIDIA graphics driver by uninstalling them and then installing them again . I have also checked my SHDD in Crystal disk info and it says that the health status is good . Somewhere i found that the combination of google and skype also causes 100% disk usage and did what they suggested but that doesn't work either...then agan i found somewhere that unchecking 'xml' from search indexing options file types will do the trick but that didn't work either . I use Kaspersky Total Internet security 2016 and whenever it scans , the disc usage stays constantly at 100% for as long as the scan goes , delaying the scan and making me unable to do anything on the laptop because of the horrible lag .So i tried uninstalling Kaspersky but then things like system , system and compressed memory , service host and windows explorer started hogging up the disc usage whenever i tried transferring files . Now , i have reinstalled kapersky becuz it isn't at fault . I am so frustrated by this and very much angry at Lenovo...Its not even been more than 3 weeks since i bought this laptop and this is happening . I will never buy a Lenovo laptop again....Now i want to try what you people have suggested i.e. changing the SHDD because i have noticed that whenever the disc usage spikes to 100% , a sound starts coming from the lower right or the lower left of the laptop beside the touchpad ( can't determine which side ) and i think that sound comes from the SHDD ( WDC WD10S21X-24R1BT0-SSHD )...I will give this laptop for service tommorrow and try to explain to them the problem so they change the SHDD...I just hope they understand what i am saying because in India , its hard to find a knowledgeable customer care employee .

Options

7 Posts

12-21-2015

Mesa, Arizona

7 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 483 of 552

2015-12-21, 17:36 PM

I have the same issue. I've tried a ton of things to fix it ranging from refreshing, disabling superfetch, search, BITS. Nothing seems to fix it. I know starting the computer in safe mode works, but I don't want to do that. And I was trying to systematically disable services to see which one was causing the issue, but it didn't totally resolve the issue. I'm in agreement about it being caused by the hybrid ssd/hdd combination drives. I had the same issue on my previous laptop, I think it was a Lenovo Y580.

I guess the question comes to, do you guys think that reinstalling a fresh copy of windows and completely whiping the hard drive would solve this issue? As in getting rid of all bloat ware and doing an absolutely fresh install of windows. I don't see any intel rapid storage running on my system. I think that if I reinstall completely and ignore the ssd portion of the hard drive things might work better. Has anyone tried this? Do you think it's a good idea?

Options

24 Posts

05-10-2015

uk

31 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 484 of 552

2015-12-21, 18:23 PM
Try quiethd first. It's been known to fix the issue
Options

24 Posts

05-10-2015

uk

31 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 485 of 552

2015-12-21, 18:24 PM
Sorry its quiethdd
Options

7 Posts

12-21-2015

Mesa, Arizona

7 Signins

36 Page Views

• Message 486 of 552

2015-12-21, 19:01 PM

Trying that now. Okay so I used the quiteHDD program to disable The APM and AAM controls. It didn't fix the issue. The disk is still maxing at 100% with little to no throughput. Like a total of 2 MB/s. However it does seem like it's a lot more reesponsive. Usually it takes forever to start up and it takes a toll on the system, locks up while I'm trying to perform tasks when it's maxed out. However it seems like I can do things, maybe still slightly slower but it had some impact. I'm still considering the full whipe but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it first.

Edit: Still occassionally locks up at 100%.

Options

35 Posts

06-27-2015

Egypt

57 Signins

453 Page Views

• Views: 453
  • Message 487 of 552

2015-12-21, 19:56 PM

disabling superfitch service and windows update service will decrease disk spinning , make sure that schedule malware scaning also disabled.

i advice also to do one thing at the same time like watching movie without copying anything at background or playing video game without playing any soundtrack at bakcground.

if you need more performance like me replace the poor hard drive (WD 5400 RPM) with SSD drive like samsung evo 850 or something like that.

Options

7 Posts

12-21-2015

Mesa, Arizona

7 Signins

36 Page Views

• Message 488 of 552

2015-12-21, 20:08 PM

Already disabled superfetch, windows search, and bits. None of that is the problem. It's not the APM or AAM either. It's something wrong with this sshd. I would like to get a ssd for it, sure. But that costs money and I don't have a ton of that right now. A laptop of this calibur should not have any issues doing any of those tasks simultaneously. Playing video games and music at the same time on 16 gbs of ram, i7, and nvidia 860m is fine. The problem only occurs sometimes, well really a lot of the time. But when the machine is operating how it is supposed to it works like a charm. It's definitely not an issue of specs. I am pretty sure it's a problem, not just a matter of having too much stuff running or anything like that. As stated it's got maxed disk usage except that there is no throughput so it's not even registering on the level of the OS I guess. I think it's something like the caching part of the sshd is crapping out or not working right. I was trying to download a firmware update for it but I can't seem to find this particular model on wester digital's website. Not sure what to do.

Options

24 Posts

05-10-2015

uk

31 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 489 of 552

2015-12-21, 20:14 PM
Sounds like you have a dodgy drive anyway. If it's more than only the disk spinning up causing freezing. If its new just send it back and get a replacement describing the faults
Options

7 Posts

12-21-2015

Mesa, Arizona

7 Signins

36 Page Views

• Message 490 of 552

2015-12-21, 22:03 PM
Sadly yesterday was my last day of warranty support.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms