Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

24 Posts

03-27-2013

London

64 Signins

227 Page Views

• Views: 227
  • Message 1 of 14

Y500 120w & 170w power adapter availability in the UK

2013-05-29, 9:13 AM

Hi

You've started selling the SLI adapter in the UK but failed to mention that you need a 170w adapter to use it!

To make matters worse I can't find either the standard 120w or the 170w adapter available on the website.

I would like to buy a spare 120w for another room and possibly the SLI upgrade with 170w. Where do I get these adapters??

Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 2 of 14

Re: Y500 120w & 170w power adapter availability in the UK

2013-05-29, 18:11 PM

Get the Dell/ Alienware 240w powersupply here: From Amazon  You will also need a 7.4x5.08mm female jack to 5.5x2.5mm male plug adapter which can be purchased here:  From bixnet

Credit goes to kh90123, a member from another forum.  The 240w PS is necessary if you plan on heavily overclocking your SLI configuration.  I currently run my SLI at 1200/2600mhz without stress and completely stable.

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737
  • Message 3 of 14

2013-05-29, 22:14 PM

hi slikvik,

In addition to what n1smo have said, check this IdeaPad 170 W AC Adapter (CE) for the Y500.

For the 120W adapter, you may need to contact lenovo sales as the said item is current;y not listed on the website.

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

24 Posts

03-27-2013

London

64 Signins

227 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2013-06-03, 15:16 PM

Thanks

Good to know.

Does anyone know if I buy the 240w Alienware PSU if it's still safe to use on the standard single 650m configuration?

I might get one even if I don't upgrade to SLI just yet to cover all bases as it's quite a bit cheaper than the Lenovo 170w.

Options

6 Posts

07-23-2013

Galashiels

20 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 5 of 14

2013-07-23, 15:42 PM

I see the 170W power adapter is available on the US website:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/webca/LenovoPortal/en_CA/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=460&Code=0C22240&category-id=683239521C6C40849BAAC04A83E51C64&hide_menu_area=yes#techspecs

I'd rather buy OEM stuff where possible, but considering I've just shelled out to buy this GN36 SLI graphics card, I need something that will run it. Will Lenovo US website ship to UK? Assuming I can just rob the kettle lead with UK 3-pin plug from my 120W power adapter and plug it into the 170W one...

The alienware adapter can be bought on UK amazon here for £35.39, probably worth a punt for that price. The difference in voltage/current won't damage my laptop though??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-Original-PA-9E-Complete-Dell/dp/B003QQJ5BK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374592971&sr=1-2&keywords=alienware+charger

I find it quite appalling that Lenovo can tout this ultrabay thing so much (it was a major selling point for me), yet fail to deliver on so many levels. I had to delve into the murky depths of the lenovo parts catalogue to find the GN36 ultrabay. Why is it not available from other retailers such as Amazon?! Why is it no in a link in the accessories section for the Y500 itself on the Lenovo sales page?! And to not mention the need for or even apparently supply the 170W power adapter to the UK market is pretty shocking imho.

Shame on you Lenovo.

Someone must have gone down this route before from the UK, what did you do to get around this?!

Slikvik - How did you get on sorting this out? Did you buy the alienware adapter?

It's a great laptop, and it'll be even greater when I get my head around this **bleep** power adapter issue!!

Options

24 Posts

03-27-2013

London

64 Signins

227 Page Views

• Message 6 of 14

2013-07-23, 19:48 PM

Hi, no I didn't get the alienware PSU or any of the other cheaper alternatives because it's almost impossible to find confirmed details on what size connectors they all have. 

I have to say I agree that Lenovo have be awful when it comes to this. I bought this laptop based on the fact it was advertised in the UK as having SLI support and Optimus technology. I then discovered after purchase that it had neither!

After various complaints they finally sold the G36 on the UK website with NO mention anywhere that you need the 170w adapter.  After further requests they sent me the link to the 170W PSU. After finally getting paid, I decided to order the G36 and 170w adapter - even though both together comes to over £300 which is extortionate!

To my suprise the 170w adapter is now not available, but the G36 still is! How can you sell something without selling the other part it needs. My purchasing manager has called Lenovo twice and BOTH times the sales person has said that the G36 doesnt need a 170w adapter! We know that it does. 

It really is quite incredible that they mis-advertised features on the laptop, sell parts on the website without stating that both are required and then continue to sell only one of the parts which will no longer function without the other, unavailable, part.

Hasn't just happened in the UK either. The US customers are having similar problems with the 750M Ultrabay being sent to them as the 650M because they share the same product code.

Lenovo, if you are reading this you need to do two things to sort this out and to offer a good service:

1) Sell the G36 WITH the 170W adapter as it's usless without it.

2) Make sure the combined price is comparable to everywhere else in the world, say £250.

Options

6 Posts

07-23-2013

Galashiels

20 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2013-07-24, 8:44 AM

Yea, i'm really not keen about buying 3rd party. If it fries the motherboard I definitely won't be covered under the warranty. But unfortunately it's starting to look like I have little choice in the matter since my GN36 is on it's way as we speak.

I mean the part number for the adapter exists... It's on other lenovo websites.

Why can't we have it in the UK, and why would they pull it from stock if it was previously available?!

Thanks for the reply anyway slikvik, I can't imagine we're the only two people with this problem so if anyone else has any experience with solutions for this, or whether or not it runs fine on the 120W adapter without any risk of causing damage to the laptop then please please post it here. UK or otherwise.

Lenovo, if you're reading this, please answer one way or another.

The Y500 is a glorious thing, and I've had Lenovo laptops before and been very happy with them, but this is starting to do my head in!! Top class customer support?? I'm starting to think otherwise when you're happy to sell us all these features and barely even bother supporting them. You must know you've big-time dropped the ball on this whole ultrabay thing, especially for us unlucky people in the UK.

Lenovo:

I need to find a 0C22240, 170W power adapter for purchase in the UK El Pronto.

Sort it please.

Options

6 Posts

07-23-2013

Galashiels

20 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2013-07-24, 9:24 AM

Quick chat with a guy from US Lenovo web chat team:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Please wait while we connect with you with a Lenovo Chat Representative.

You have been connected to ^Moses .
^MosesThank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. My name is Moses and my Rep ID is xxxxxxxxxx. Happy to help you today.
^MosesHi, how may I help you today?
SirchogalogHi Moses
^MosesHi Sirchogalog
SirchogalogI'm a Lenovo customer from the UK and happy owner of a Y500
^MosesGood to know that
SirchogalogI've just purchased the additional 650m ultrabay and it's on its way, i'm pretty excited about it
SirchogalogI had a question about the power adapter though
SirchogalogI'd heard that the boxed 120W adapter will not power the additional graphics card
^MosesYes you need to purchase the 170W adapter for it
SirchogalogI can't find it for purchase in the UK
Sirchogalogat all
Sirchogalogcan you help
^MosesAs the additional graphics card needs additional power
^Moses :  Sirchogalog unfortuntely we donot have information on the products and parts or price sold in other countires
SirchogalogWhere can I find out the information I need?
SirchogalogI was told it was available for a short while in the UK, but has now vanished from the UK shop
^MosesYou may check with the UK website for it
The agent is sending you to http://www.lenovo.com/uk/en/index.html.
Sirchogalogseems strange as the additional GPU is still being sold
Sirchogalogi've done that, the only 170W adapter is for a thinkpad W520/530 which uses a different connector tip
Sirchogalogit's on the US website however, is it possible to ship to the UK from the US Lenovo website?
^MosesUnfortunately we donot have informaition, I wish that I could help you on it, I suggest that you check with the team by callin on them
^MosesDue to U.S. export restrictions and policies, Lenovo does not ship international orders outside the United States.
Sirchogalogright, i was hoping to avoid calling due to the cost of the call
Sirchogalogthere's no UK web chat?
SirchogalogI don't see why I should have to pay for information that should have been clearly available in the first place
^MosesWe donot have information on the other countries support systems
^MosesIf it is US there is Chat
Sirchogalogright, thanks for your help anyway, at least it clarifies that I do in fact need the 170W adapter
Sirchogalogthanks Moses
^MosesYou are welcome
-----------------------------------------------------------------

So that was useful...

Looks like Lenovo US and Lenovo UK have different opinions on whether you need the 170W adapter or not if slikvik got told sli would work fine with the 120W adapter, Moses here says otherwise.

Looks like i'm going to have to give Lenovo UK a call and see what they've got to say. I'm starting to get the impression that not even Lenovo support/sales teams know what we need. Pretty poor service so far if the customer has to do all this work just so give Lenovo some of his hard earned cash...

My prediction is that Lenovo UK will state I don't need the 170W adapter as it's not available for purchase here, despite part numbers existing and being available or purchase in the US and being told by Lenovo team US that I DO need it. Let's find out.

Lenovo:

Any comments??

Moderator note; full name and ID of Lenovo employee / associate edited Forum Rules

Options

6 Posts

07-23-2013

Galashiels

20 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2013-07-24, 10:44 AM

So, I phoned up and got a lovely lady to assist me.

I'll cut to the chase, the call resulted in me finding:

She reckoned that most people "leave it plugged in and it runs fine" and "most people don't have a problem", which i'm going to assume means that they continue using the original 120W adapter? I re-phrased the question a couple of times and it didnt result in much, I don't think she fully grasped what I was talking about. Not massively reassuring anyway.

She was certain that there was a 170W adapter, but when she checked, she couldn't find it on the system. Which indicates that Slikvik might be right in that it was there, but has been removed for reasons that only Lenovo knows.

She pointed me towards this product code: 57Y6386

Which is for a 90W AC adapter... 

So it's looking like i've hit a brick wall here from Lenovo without finding a satisfying answer.

Very frustrating.

I guess all that can be left to be done now is wait for my GN36 (arrives Monday, it's sunning itself in Kasakhstan at the moment apparently according to my UPS tracking).

I'll plug it in (assuming i've not been sent a 750m if the codes are the same as Slikvik says), run it through a few tough benchmarking tests to really push it and see if it crashes out or the power brick bursts into flames.

If it does, it's all going back under warranty and Lenovo can deal with the ensuing mess at their expense, and I swear if they say "well, you should be using the 170W adapter"...

So all in all, pretty disappointing customer service from Lenovo here.

Really, if anyone from Lenovo is reading this, please get someone that knows the definitive answer to this and LET US KNOW.

I guarantee i'm not the only one in this situation so if we can get this all resolved then maybe you'll start to win some customers back that have been let down by your poor support of the ultrabay feature, it really is the main thing holding back this otherwise great laptop. If the 120W supply doesn't work, you can guarantee i'll be sending in a complaint and a message to trading standards for mis-selling a product.

Anyone with any experience of running 650m SLI on the 120W adapter, please let me know how you got on. Is it stable/reliable, have you ever had it shut down during graphics intensive games?

I'll be back with more feedback once I've had a play with the ultrabay.

Options

24 Posts

03-27-2013

London

64 Signins

227 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2013-07-24, 11:04 AM

Hi

Just to be clear, I'm 100% certain is DOES need the 170w adapter as I've been told by an owner that it says so in the G36 user manual. Also, if you look at this PDF product list in the Y500 section you'll see quite clearly that it requires the 170w: http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/ipbook.pdf

This is just the UK customer service not knowing what they're talking about! Basically, whoever manages their products has decided that they don't need to sell the 170w adapter anymore and has taken it off the website without realising that it's required for the G36.

That was why I suggested that they sell the two tegether as a package to avoid such issues. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms