Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

05-23-2013

Spain

4 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 11 of 16

Re: Y500 Slow Boot Times

2013-05-27, 14:46 PM

this issue appears to be related somehow with the cache msata SSD drive. Whether it's a firmware issue, a disk issue or a driver problem, everythink points to that.

In fact, after the removal of the msata drive, the laptop now startups much faster than before (beware though, it's really slow) so from the 3min or so just to get passed the lenovo screen to 45sec to start up. The eventvwr warning spam complaining on the device 0 timeouts it's gone as well as the error you get when accessing the windows disk management in regards of the msata.

Now I wonder what's causing this, because even though this workaorund let me boot the laptop it's still VERY SLOW (booting all the bloatware that comes with the Y500 from a 5400rpm hard disk, go figure). It might be a corruption issue with the msata ssd drive? I don't know, If I get my hands on a msata supported motherboard I'll plug it in and see if I can do something with it otherwise I will consider a new msata SSD (32gb intel one for 50€ so might as well try it) and check if it fix the problem.

Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 12 of 16

2013-05-29, 18:21 PM

wrote:

this issue appears to be related somehow with the cache msata SSD drive. Whether it's a firmware issue, a disk issue or a driver problem, everythink points to that.

In fact, after the removal of the msata drive, the laptop now startups much faster than before (beware though, it's really slow) so from the 3min or so just to get passed the lenovo screen to 45sec to start up. The eventvwr warning spam complaining on the device 0 timeouts it's gone as well as the error you get when accessing the windows disk management in regards of the msata.

Now I wonder what's causing this, because even though this workaorund let me boot the laptop it's still VERY SLOW (booting all the bloatware that comes with the Y500 from a 5400rpm hard disk, go figure). It might be a corruption issue with the msata ssd drive? I don't know, If I get my hands on a msata supported motherboard I'll plug it in and see if I can do something with it otherwise I will consider a new msata SSD (32gb intel one for 50€ so might as well try it) and check if it fix the problem.

I am in a similar situation with my 16gb SSD.  Been running fine for months and a few weeks ago it crapped out on me.  I'll be able to confirm if it was in fact the SanDisk mSata SSD that is dead as I have a replacement mSata SSD with me right now at work and will install it as soon as I get home.  I made sure to avoid another SanDisk product and got myself another brand based on reviews.  Stand by for report.....

Update:  It was the SanDisk SSD.  Installed the new MyDigital SSD and all is good.  

Options

14 Posts

05-31-2013

Texas, USA

6 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 13 of 16

2013-05-31, 12:03 PM

the factory samsung 16G ssd drives wonk out on Y500 big time, not sure why but thats the usual culprit when I repair them, I usually will change out 1 stick of memory as well, the factory memory in slot #1 just seems to drag down performance. I will say some win8 models suck at boot speed, upto 5min sometimes! and that is with no hardware issues. if your system stalls at the lenovo screen and goes no further then you know one of your drives is dead.

Options

1 Posts

11-02-2016

Canada

3 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 14 of 16

2016-11-02, 17:22 PM

Did you replace the hard drive with a SSD ?   Try pulling the 16 gb SSD caching drive.  Fixed this problem for me.

Options

1 Posts

11-19-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

19 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 19
  • Message 15 of 16

2016-11-19, 15:24 PM

Me too! After taking my Mc away 4 the SECOND time (leaving me in severe hardship with NO suitable replacement as promised) from Currys/PCWORLD Id got fed up of holding on the phone line 4 up 2 an hour (at which point I had 2 cancel 2 avoid charges) & had spent nearly 28 hours! on the phone - I took it 2 my local store where the totally REASONABLE manager assured me he knew wot it was but I'd hav 2 let him TRY 2 repair it first as that was the only way I'd get another 1 (as had been promised on the phone - which they subsequently DENIED!) I got it collected & lo & behold - it's STILL pants! ? it's SLOWER than an ice cream truck 2 start OR respond & STILL can't remember JACK! as the drivers r PATENTLY stopping (audio/video/both drops or hangs whilst streaming) I INSISTED that they read the windows error logs (detailing same as yrs about I/O caching/flushing/misc memory/storage errors) a very lengthy string of persistent repetitive CRITICAL errors but the repair report blamed a corrupt op sys (which had been repaired & CHECKED!- obs NOT!) I'v been given the TOTAL run around by Currys/PCWORLD who hav consistently dodged, blagged & ultimately LIED about wot wud happen ? even "Mr nice manager" is denying the quote of "if it goes wrong again well replace it then" & apparently they WON'T but it's "up 2 head office!" FGS GIMME A BREAK! Mc is OBS a duffer  & I'm entitled 2 my replacement as it was THEM not co-operating wen first reported at FOUR DAYS OLD! (30 days 30 days - I'm SICK of hearing that! U KNOW y it wasn't with u then!) from reading these forums this is a common fault & they're just dodging & not trying 2 help in the slightest! Hey ho - back 2 the store on Monday 4 MORE shouting!?

Options

2 Posts

03-17-2017

Austria

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 16 of 16

2017-03-17, 11:32 AM

This Thread is tagged solved, if I see correcty, but I do not see any solution that would help. Taking out the hard drive from a new laptop is not an option. If I missed the solution to this **bleep**-slow-boot-problem please let me know.

Thanks! :-)

Stampfbauer

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms