Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

04-09-2013

Nederland

8 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 1 of 4

[Y500] Touchpad and Wi-Fi problems

2013-04-09, 16:51 PM

1. weird touchpad

The touchpad is extremely anoying to use and after a while it is acting weird. The touchpad on the laptop is so anoying that I always pick my external mouse while on my old laptops I never used my external mouse while not on a table.

2. Can't connect to 5ghz networks

For some reason I can't connect to 5ghz networks. My old (bought it about 5 years ago) low-budget Acer laptop supported this so I asume this brand new high-end Lenovo laptop will support this.

EDIT: Great... just found out the mouse problem. Although I can't miss my laptop a single day I seems that I have to send it in for repair since I have a touchpad by ELAN...

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: [Y500] Touchpad and Wi-Fi problems

2013-04-09, 19:18 PM

hi MBaNL,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Regarding your questions:

1. As you may already found out, there's potential hardware issue on the Y500's touchpad as discussed in this thread.

2. Upon checking the wifi card on the Y500, it comes with a Intel Wireless-N 2230 which is a single band wifi card that can only detect 2.4Ghz wifi networks. If your router is a dual band, try to configure it to broadcast both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, Otherwise, you will need to bring it down to 2.4Ghz.

Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

04-09-2013

Nederland

8 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 3 of 4

2013-04-09, 21:17 PM

@neokenchi, thank you for your awnser and that's a real bummer to me... I can connect to my network over 2.4ghz because the router can send out both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Problem is that the 2.4ghz band is prety used over here while I'm the only one with a 5ghz signal and want to use it for the sake of speed.

Is there any way to replace the Wi-Fi hardware for better hardware that support 2.4ghz and 5ghz and keep my warranty?

I'm getting more and more disapointed by this laptop. After all it was not a big step forward from my old one except for video quality... too bad... :-(

EDIT: I did some research and it seems that the "Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 6235" could replace the current one but what about warranty and does someone know it's possible to replace it myself?

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-04-09, 22:01 PM

hi MBaNL,

Upon checking, the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 6235 is not on the supported WLAN adapters on the Lenovo Y500, however, it supports the Intel Centrino 6300N.

Y500WLAN.JPG

According to the reviews on this item, some merchants sell the Intel 6300N out from Lenovo PC's. This ideal since the Y500 keeps a "whitelist" for lenovo approved cards.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms