CA

3 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 1 of 3

Y510P unable to boot after One Key Recovery

2017-07-03, 5:02 AM

Hi guys,

I'm having troubling booting my laptop after attemping to format using OKR.

I'm wondering if you guys can help me out..

For your information, my lenovo y510p is 1TB + 8gb ssd (hybrid). It doesn't have m2 ssd card. It only has one 2.5" hdd. 

So here's what happened:

1. I tried formatting windows using OKR because i noticed that my disk usage is 100% recently although im not running anything on my labtop.

2. After OKR recovery process,  my laptop gets stuck at the lenovo loading screen (the computer will just stay at that screen forever). It won't boot.

3. After turning it on/off a couple times, it gave me blue screen of death with the error code 0xc0000001.

Up this point I thought the cause of the problem was fauly hdd.

4. I tried clicking the novo button to try system recovery. After attempting recovery, the messsage told me me "OneKeyRecovery partition has damaged, so do not launch the main applications."

I dont know how to fix this issue.

At this point, I am thinking about just buying a 2.5" SSD and windows 10 with retail key, and fresh install windows on the new ssd. Will this cause any trouble? (ex. do I need to twick the bios setting in order to do this?)

Are there any cons to fresh installing retail windows on new ssd?

Please help. Thank you.

Solved! See the solution
Options

15 Posts

06-05-2017

US

25 Signins

440 Page Views

• Views: 440
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Y510P unable to boot after One Key Recovery

2017-07-03, 16:54 PM

It certainly sounds like a bad HDD. As far as I can tell when the original HDD starts to go Windows starts getting buggy as it has to make multiple attempts to access files and the memory paging file, hdd reporting 100% use could point to this(besides your OKR outright saying it's damaged of course). If you are lucky you might be able to access the original HDD as a second drive in an ultrabay caddy or usb enclosure, at least well enough to recover some of your old files.

You will probably need to set the boot mode to legacy support to get the new 2.5" SSD to work. As far as Windows on a new drive, no explicit problems, however Windows 10 isn't officially supported on the y510p, though many seem to get it to work okay using Win10 + the Win8.1 drivers. When my original HDD failed I sawped in an HDD with a fresh install of Windows 8 retail and it worked and booted up perfectly( that is until I bricked it when trying to update the system bios to Lenovo's updated version 3.08, as such that is one thing I'd say to avoid).

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

07-03-2017

CA

3 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Y510P unable to boot after One Key Recovery

2017-07-03, 21:43 PM

Indeed, the cause was my faulty hard drive.

After a bit of research, I came to a realization that my y510p has windows retail key embedded in motherboard; hence, i don't have to buy a new windows key.

Here's what I did to fix the issue:

1. Make a bootable usb drive for windows installation (using window media creation tool).

In my case, the window key was for windows 8.1 regular so this is the version i downloaded.

2. I bought 2.5" SATA III SSD, and replaced it with the faulty hdd.

3. I went into BIOS and fresh installed windows 8 using the usb.

4. I upgraded to windows 10 using free assistive upgrade from microsoft website.

Hope this help anyone with similar problem.

-Steven

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms