Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

08-30-2013

Batavia, IL

9 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 32

Y510p freezes but i can still move the mouse

2013-08-30, 19:42 PM

I recently purchased a Lenovo y510p for college. I do not use it that often because i have a nice desktop at home and have not moved yet. When i do use it, it freezes 3-5 minutes after the start up. during the freeze i can move the mouse but when i click on anything nothing happens. When i mouse to the corners the normal windows 8 thing dont pop up. After it gets done freezing for a few minutes evertying i clicked on or did during the freeze pops up really fast. I believe i have updated all my drivers. i unistalled mcafee and really only have a few things installed liked Steam, and Final Fantasy 14: A Real Reborn. Sometimes after the freeze windowns stops responding  and i have to hard reset. At that poing i somtimes get stuck in a boot loop and just have to keep resetting till it fixes itself. I also installed chrome. 

I dont want to have to reistall windows or do a factory reset. i do have a warrenty but i start school in 2 days and cant really ship this anywhere. I dont have the serial number with me but i have the laptop with the duel graphics.

Sorry for my poor writeing. :D i hope it wasnt too confusing.

Thank you in advance!

Solved! See the solution
Options

4 Posts

08-30-2013

Batavia, IL

9 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 2 of 32

Re: Y510p freezes but i can still move the mouse

2013-08-30, 20:03 PM
I just ran a disk check using lenovo solution center and the SMART short self test got stuck at 10% and timed out. the SMART drive self test is now also stuck at 10%
Options

9 Posts

08-11-2013

Michigan

25 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141
  • Message 3 of 32

2013-08-31, 2:25 AM

I have been having the IDENTICAL problem  for about a month now.  I also have the SLI model.  My tests come back with no errors, but the exact same kind of freezing for 3-5 minutes before it resumes.  I can move the mouse, but I cannot do anything else.  Sometimes, if I am lucky I can access the task manager and see that my CPU is spiking to near 100%.  This typically happens within the first few minutes of booting up.

It usually happens when I am gaming but it has also happened while watching netflix and even while pretty idle looking through windows explorer or control panel.

Does this happen every time you boot up?  Sometimes I get lucky and I am able to use it for an hour or two with no freezes.  

I did a full restore to factory settings and this problem still occurred.

Lenovo support has been unable to pinpoint the problem after numerous calls.  I am unwilling to send my system in without knowing what is wrong with it.  I will be without it for at least 2 weeks assuming there are no parts further delaying it.

Options

4 Posts

03-18-2011

Germany

9 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 4 of 32

2013-08-31, 8:57 AM

I don't own the SLI model but having the same problem. System freezes (most frequently during gaming) for a few minutes until it returns to normal operation. It doesn't always happen but when it happens once it usually occurs several times afterwards. A first sign that it will happen soon is that the sound starts to loop. I updated all drivers that where available, removed McAffee but it still happens.

Options

4 Posts

08-30-2013

Batavia, IL

9 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 5 of 32

2013-08-31, 9:14 AM

It doesnt freeze all the time. usually if i just let it sit there for a few minutes after boot without touching it, it will not freeze. It sucks that calling them didnt work. If worst comes to worst I will send it back. I have the 3 year accidental damge warrenty so i assume it will be covered. 

Options

3 Posts

09-12-2013

Florida

7 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 6 of 32

2013-09-12, 17:19 PM
Hey guys. Non-SLI y510p model here with the same hanging problem. And frankly I am quite tired of performing hard reboots on this beautiful machine. It isn't happening all of the time, but it is becoming more frequent, whether coming out of sleep or cold boot. The machine is pretty much stock still. If anyone has any updates on this issue before I start doing some questionable things with my box it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Options

8 Posts

09-30-2013

California

17 Signins

136 Page Views

• Views: 136
  • Message 7 of 32

2013-09-30, 18:33 PM

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but it seems the issue hasn't been resolved and I am having what I believe is the exact same problem described by several others above. While using my Y510p (I have the dual GPUs), usually while gaming, my laptop will freeze for 3-5 minutes. The problem is almost always accompanied by looping sound and typically happens in the first 10-30 minutes of playing. It recurs a couple of times per gaming session, then stops occurring. I can still move my mouse and open up task manager to see the CPU is at 100%. If I wait, the machine eventually catches up and the game begins playing flawlessly. Does anyone have a solution to this problem yet?

Dan

Options

8 Posts

09-30-2013

California

17 Signins

136 Page Views

• Views: 136
  • Message 8 of 32

2013-10-01, 7:43 AM

I also ran the "sfc /scannow" command in command prompt as some other moderator replies have suggested. It tells me that corrupted files were found but the scan was unable to fix them and details are in the CBS.log. However when I copy the CBS.log to desktop and open it, it doesn't seem to have any information about corrupt files - everything looks fine. I am also surprised that there would be corrupt files since I've pretty much only installed Steam and some Steam/Blizzard games and I've had antivirus from day one. Any ideas?

Options

9 Posts

08-11-2013

Michigan

25 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141
  • Message 9 of 32

2013-10-01, 13:23 PM
Hello, I don't really remember what I did to fix it. I still have the problem occasionally but not near as often as before. I suspected it was either the subpar hard drive or windows 8 compatibility issues. Not sure what game this happens to you in, but Aion Online was the game that was always freezing for me. Any other game I have played does not freeze at all. I kind of stopped playing that game so maybe that's why my freezing stopped!

I have run sfc as well as a few hard drive diagnostic tests with no errors found. I have called lenovo support on three different occasions and every time they have no clue what to do. I only have hardware covered under my warranty but they are trying to refer me to their paid software service on the day I open the box. They wanted to bill me for software support because their factory software doesn't work correctly.

They told me I could send it in to get it fixed, but I'm not willing to do that when they can't pinpoint a problem. I was very tempted to just try the win7 copy I had with my last laptop. If you have one laying around give it a shot.
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 10 of 32

2013-10-01, 14:17 PM

wrote:

I also ran the "sfc /scannow" command in command prompt as some other moderator replies have suggested. It tells me that corrupted files were found but the scan was unable to fix them and details are in the CBS.log. However when I copy the CBS.log to desktop and open it, it doesn't seem to have any information about corrupt files - everything looks fine. I am also surprised that there would be corrupt files since I've pretty much only installed Steam and some Steam/Blizzard games and I've had antivirus from day one. Any ideas?

Try this:
1. Run command prompt with administrator rights.
2. Type the following on the prompt: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
3. It will take 10 -15 minutes to an hour to make the repair for the corrupt files. So be patient.
4. After the repair type "exit" and press enter.
5. Reboot the unit.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms