09-30-2013

California

17 Signins

136 Page Views

• Views: 136
  • Message 11 of 32

Re: Y510p freezes but i can still move the mouse

2013-10-02, 3:34 AM

Thank you, LenBlazer. RestoreHealth successfully repaired whatever corrupted files may have been there and "sfc /scannow" confirms that I have no corrupted files now. Time will tell whether this addresses the freezing issue or not - I have no idea if they were related. I'm not playing as much as I used to and it is an intermittent problem, so it is hard to know if it is fixed for sure. If I have the problem again I will update the thread to indicate that this did not resolve the issue. Cheers!

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 12 of 32

2013-10-02, 10:57 AM

wrote:

Thank you, LenBlazer. RestoreHealth successfully repaired whatever corrupted files may have been there and "sfc /scannow" confirms that I have no corrupted files now. Time will tell whether this addresses the freezing issue or not - I have no idea if they were related. I'm not playing as much as I used to and it is an intermittent problem, so it is hard to know if it is fixed for sure. If I have the problem again I will update the thread to indicate that this did not resolve the issue. Cheers!

Actually I was addressing your problem about the sfc /scannow not able to fix the corrupt files. It is possible that the corrupt files is the cause of the freezing but I'll leave that to the respponder of the thread to prove. Glad that the corrupt files had been fixed.

Options

8 Posts

09-30-2013

California

17 Signins

136 Page Views

• Message 13 of 32

2013-10-06, 19:17 PM

While I appreciate the help with the sfc scan issue, I can confirm that this did not resolve the primary issue of the thread. The freezing problem is still there and occurs across a wide variety of games, not just one or two. I have seen several threads like this but none with answers, so please let me know if you have any ideas!

Thanks,

Dan

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 14 of 32

2013-10-06, 23:17 PM

wrote:

While I appreciate the help with the sfc scan issue, I can confirm that this did not resolve the primary issue of the thread. The freezing problem is still there and occurs across a wide variety of games, not just one or two. I have seen several threads like this but none with answers, so please let me know if you have any ideas!

Thanks,

Dan

Well based on your statement, the freezing has something to do with running any games. So try looking for anything that has to do with running games. Example: video settings, drivers, etc. That's all I can say since I don't play games anymore.

Options

16 Posts

10-08-2013

North Carolina

17 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 15 of 32

2013-10-08, 1:39 AM

Hey, sorry I'm late but I've had all these exact same problems on the y510p I just purcahsed for school (in late august). When it runs it runs well, but just like everyone else I get the hangups, freezes, and boot loops. I've noticed they tend to occur less in high performance mode, but its not even close to a fix. The sfc scan said there were no corrupt files. I did notice that when I open task manager immediately after one of the freezes, disk1 (hdd) was at 100% during the freeze, making me think its a hard drive issue.

Options

16 Posts

10-08-2013

North Carolina

17 Signins

111 Page Views

• Message 16 of 32

Re: Y510p freezes but I can still move the mouse

2013-10-18, 4:55 AM

I think I may have been right about the hard drive, I started looking through the Intel rapid storage technology program that always seems to be running and there's a setting in it called Link Power Management that effects the idle time of the HDD, it says

"Link Power Management (LPM) is a power-saving technique that helps the SATA device save power. The SATA link to the device is set to low power during idle time when there is no I/O activity or devices are absent or unused. LPM automatically sets the SATA link back to an active power state once I/O requests are queued to that link when there is work to be done. NOTE: Power savings introduced by LPM come at potential expense of increased disk latency. Enable LPM knowing the system could experience increased duration of idle I/O time. The increased duration is dependent upon the specific storage device being used since not all devices respond the same to LPM."

And it is enabled by default, so this may be the source of out problems. It's just a hunch now, but so far I haven't had any problems, but it has only been a few hours.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

8 Posts

09-30-2013

California

17 Signins

136 Page Views

• Message 17 of 32

2013-10-19, 18:57 PM

Hi jaksart,

Thanks for the suggestion. I changed the LPM setting like you said and just played an hour with no freezes or hangups. I will post back if the problem recurs for me, but your solution looks promising so far!

Thanks,

Dan

Options

3 Posts

09-12-2013

Florida

7 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 18 of 32

2013-10-20, 14:42 PM

This might very well be the fix I was looking for. My cumbersome computer stalls, just to clarify with others, only occur during PC start-ups and wake-ups. If the LPM advisory note about "increased disk latency" is accurate then this could explain why the stalls were occurring (on top of some faulty programming on their end). I have only disabled the setting for my HDD, which is where my OS sits, but haven't done so yet for my small SSD.

I can confirm this fix by observing that there are no more freezes during start-ups and wake-ups. And since my browser sits in my SSD, if it hangs/stalls upon initial use then this would only further prove that the LPM setting was it.

Remember that main memory has to get the data from *Drive first and this setting on our PCs might very well be buggy.

I will confirm this fix at a later time, while doing some extra research into this "rapid storage technology."

Thanks jaksart!

Options

16 Posts

10-08-2013

North Carolina

17 Signins

111 Page Views

• Message 19 of 32

2013-10-21, 3:14 AM

No problem! I stumbled across it by acciedent the other night, I was curious as to what the rapid storage technology program actually did because I had always seen it in the taskbar tray. I think intel made the program without specific HDDs in mind, which would explain the advisory note.

It's been about 3 days and haven't had a single freeze or hangup so I'm thinking it worked. I played BF3 for almost 3 hours straight with absolutely no problems at all over the weekend. I'll post back in a week or so if I have/don't have any problems.

Options

16 Posts

10-08-2013

North Carolina

17 Signins

111 Page Views

• Message 20 of 32

2013-11-05, 4:52 AM

Still no problems. I'm gonna go ahead and say it works.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms