Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

77 Posts

06-20-2013

United States of America

156 Signins

12969 Page Views

• Views: 12969
  • Message 1 of 10

Y510p refuses to boot

2014-07-17, 6:32 AM

I have my Ideapad y510p laptop and it is refusing to boot. Basically, I was simply restarting my computer and then it stopped working. The computer seemed to have been getting finicky lately and taking longer too boot prior to this issue, but that may just be me. When I press the power button the Lenovo logo pops up and the spinning thing starts. This spins for an extremely long time then a BSoD appears and the laptop reboots. And for a split second the BSoD flashes "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" (the BSoD sits for a few seocnds then this message pops up for a very short amount of time, I had to film it and go frame by fram to figure out what it said) On the next boot cycle a little "Preparing Automatic Repair" pops up. This goes on for a long time too, and when it finishes it takes me to a blue screen asking for my keyboard layout. Upon selection I am greeted with an option to troubleshoot or turn off the PC. Troubleshoot then allow me to refresh my PC, reset my PC, and advanced options. The refresh option when selected states "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again." The reset option brings up a "Please Wait" then comes up with an error stating "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing." Under the advanced options I am presented with an option to do a system restore, which errors out and tells me to specify which Windows installations to restore, an option to do a system image recover, which errors out giving me the error code 0x80070002, an option to do a startup repair, which then says that it could not repair my PC and nothing is listed under "Log file", an option to adjust my UEFI Firmware Settings, which just loads up the BIOS, and an option to load up the command prompt. The command prompt is where things start to get intresting. I ran diskpart then list disk and list volume, list disk returned "There are no fixed disks to show" and list volume returned "There are no volumes." I proceeded to run chkdsk /r /f /x but that returned that the drive was write protected, which I am assuming is because I am running off the recovery x drive. I also ran sfc /scannow which stated that there are pending repairs and that I need to restart to fix them. So, after all this it would appear that my hard drive is not mounted or malfunctioning. However, in the BIOS the hard drive is listed, also I tried changing from AHCI to compatible and that yeilded no results. I then proceeded to simply try to use the novo button and do a system restore, however when I tried this it poped up a screen saying "Windows is loading files" and when the progressbar completed the computer reset and when back to the boot screen and put me back where I started. I tried booting from a USB flash drive and a USB CD drive and both of them failed and just reset the computer and brought me back to the boot loop. I tried reseting the BIOS, pulling the power plug and battery and holding the power button for 20 seconds, and a BIOS update to v3.05 (I used the CMD prompt to open notepad then navigate to a folder that contained the BIOS update exe and updated the BIOS), and none of these worked. I then proceeded to pull the hard drive from the laptop and stick it in my desktop. I tried booting off this hard drive on my desktop, but this did not work. I was able to grab all my data from the drive and back it up on my desktop perfectly fine. Also, when I loaded up disk management, I noticed another 350mb recovery partition. Shortly after getting the laptop I made a post on these forums asking about what all the partions on the primary hard drive and I included a picuture of the disk management (the thread with image can be seen here) and in that picture there is only one 350mb recovery, however, now there is two. Not sure if this is of any help or not, but I am just trying ot be as through as possible. Also, I ran a chkdsk of the primary partition (c drive when on the laptop) when I had it in my desktop and that did not help any.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? I am worried that it is a bad motherboard that lead to a corrupted hard drive, but I do not want that to be the problem. My warranty just ended last month so I cannot send the laptop in (right?).

Thanks for any help.

Answer
Options

77 Posts

06-20-2013

United States of America

156 Signins

12969 Page Views

Re: Y510p refuses to boot

2014-07-22, 19:11 PM
Alright, I did a little more troubleshooting, and I did not actually fix the laptop. The laptop is only able to boot from a reboot, if I shut it down then attempt to turn it back on, it will fail. So to fix this I have to boot into a LiveUSB with Ubuntu on it then hit reboot, and it will boot into Windows. However, this boot, as well as the Ubuntu loading, takes quite a long time, over an hour, which is not really acceptable. I got the laptop to boot into the OKR tool and did a factory reset, but that did not fix anything.

However, I figured out the problem. It was a corrupt/broken SSD. I do not have anything aside from the laptop to test the SSD so I cannot determine if the problem lies within the laptop or the SSD itself (I may purchase a PCIe to M.2 adapter to further troubleshoot). After opening the laptop and removing the SSD, the time to POST was significantly decreased and the time for Windows to load was also decreased. And I am not able to shut the computer off once again. I may end up purchasing a new SSD and perhaps even getting one large enough to hold a copy of Windows to boot from.

Thanks again for your help.

Replies(9)
Options

404 Posts

07-12-2014

London

346 Signins

5196 Page Views

• Views: 5196
  • Message 2 of 10

2014-07-17, 7:40 AM
There's quite a lot to read there lol. When you say it's trying to do repairs, is that the OS doing that? If so you might need to get a windows cd and either do a repair off that, or a fresh install of windows. If your on windows 8.1 then it's riddled with issues.
Lenovo y510p - Intel Quad-core 4th gen i7-4700MQ @3.40Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB HDD 8GB SSD - 1080p FHD - Nvidia 755m SLI
Options

904 Posts

04-07-2014

Sverige

762 Signins

8691 Page Views

• Views: 8691
  • Message 3 of 10

2014-07-17, 16:34 PM
sounds like your hard disk might be going to 0% but i could be wrong, either try this 1. power laptop off 2. press novo button 3. select system recovery, if that fails to boot then your whole hard disk might be damaged or that something such virus or so has corrupted the partitions causing them to not work :/ so only way todo next is to get a windows 8/8.1 recovery disc and run it and do a repair if that wont work you will have to re-install from scratch once thats done download hard disk sentinel and check your hard disk health if it says 100% and no damaged sectors found then your hard disk is fine but if it says 9% health and tons of damaged sectors then that might be why your OS began to mess up and everything else it's because your hard disk is about to go into RAW mode which happens when a hard disk health is critical low.
Options

77 Posts

06-20-2013

United States of America

156 Signins

12969 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2014-07-17, 18:15 PM

wrote:
sounds like your hard disk might be going to 0% but i could be wrong, either try this 1. power laptop off 2. press novo button 3. select system recovery, if that fails to boot then your whole hard disk might be damaged or that something such virus or so has corrupted the partitions causing them to not work :/ so only way todo next is to get a windows 8/8.1 recovery disc and run it and do a repair if that wont work you will have to re-install from scratch once thats done download hard disk sentinel and check your hard disk health if it says 100% and no damaged sectors found then your hard disk is fine but if it says 9% health and tons of damaged sectors then that might be why your OS began to mess up and everything else it's because your hard disk is about to go into RAW mode which happens when a hard disk health is critical low.

Alright, I tried the system recovery and a little progress bar with a "loading files" comes up. When the progress bar completes the screen shuts off then goes back to the lenovo screen and is just back where I started. I tried booting off of a Windows 8.1 recovery flash drive and the computer refused to boot off the drive, it would simply reset then go back to the lenovo screen and I was just where I started. I also tried booting off of a Windows 8 DVD and the computer brought up a "press any key to boot from CD" then after pressing a key it went back to the lenovo screen and I get stuck in the boot loop again. I could try pulling the hard drive again and running the health program from another computer if you think that could help diagnose...?

wrote:
There's quite a lot to read there lol. When you say it's trying to do repairs, is that the OS doing that? If so you might need to get a windows cd and either do a repair off that, or a fresh install of windows. If your on windows 8.1 then it's riddled with issues.

The only time that is says it is trying to do repairs is when I try sfc /scannow in the cmd prompt. I cannot get the laptop to boot off of a CD, as mentioned above. I am running Windows 8.1. And, I am sorry about all the text, I was jsut trying to provide as much information as possible.

Options

77 Posts

06-20-2013

United States of America

156 Signins

12969 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2014-07-18, 6:05 AM

Alright, after much tinkering, I think I manged to get it up and stable. I am not quite sure what exactly made it work but here is a quick summary of the things I did.

Frist, I created a flash drive that contained an install of Debian and I manged to get the laptop to boot from that. I had to enable legacy boot in the bios and I was only able to get it to load in failsafe mode. Also, it only worked once, I decided to plug an ethernet cable in to attempt to get internet as I did not want to fiddle with getting the WiFi card to work.. After trying to get it to boot again, but to no avail, I proceeded to change my BIOS settings back to what they where prior to trying to use Debian. I was then greeted with the repair screen that I was oh so used to by now. However, this time it was different. I was greeted with more options than before and one of the options allowed for me to boot into safemode, which worked. After getting in safemode I simply did a restart and then it successfully booted back to normal Windows. I did a restart and it still booted in just fine. However, it was taking a lot longer than I feel it used to to boot the computer. I think I will do a factory restore and see if I can get it all cleaned up, as I have my files backed up already.

I think that this problem was existing since the harddrive, for some reason, got malformatted. I think that Debian cleaned it up and brought it back to proper compatible mode, and I think that since I had it set to AHCI in the BIOS, booting to safemode brought the drive back to AHCI and allowed it to function properly. I had a similar problem with my SSD in my desktop where it was mistakenly in compatible mode and I was getting poor performance out of it. Changing the SATA configuration in the BIOS simply made it so the computer would not boot, but booting into safemode works and resets the SATA drives to bring them to the proper AHCI.

I am still a little worries about this computer, so I will keep an eye on it. I think that doing a factory restore will help a lot of issues, but for now, I can get some sleep.

Thanks for your help guys.

Answer
Options

77 Posts

06-20-2013

United States of America

156 Signins

12969 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2014-07-22, 19:11 PM
Alright, I did a little more troubleshooting, and I did not actually fix the laptop. The laptop is only able to boot from a reboot, if I shut it down then attempt to turn it back on, it will fail. So to fix this I have to boot into a LiveUSB with Ubuntu on it then hit reboot, and it will boot into Windows. However, this boot, as well as the Ubuntu loading, takes quite a long time, over an hour, which is not really acceptable. I got the laptop to boot into the OKR tool and did a factory reset, but that did not fix anything.

However, I figured out the problem. It was a corrupt/broken SSD. I do not have anything aside from the laptop to test the SSD so I cannot determine if the problem lies within the laptop or the SSD itself (I may purchase a PCIe to M.2 adapter to further troubleshoot). After opening the laptop and removing the SSD, the time to POST was significantly decreased and the time for Windows to load was also decreased. And I am not able to shut the computer off once again. I may end up purchasing a new SSD and perhaps even getting one large enough to hold a copy of Windows to boot from.

Thanks again for your help.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

04-15-2015

Hungary

5 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 7 of 10

2015-04-15, 9:16 AM

Hi,

I had/have the same problem with my Lenovo on power up. It was never able to boot properly and when booted up it often dropped the HDD. At first, I believed it was a HDD problem, but now I've dropped this idea since the system is fine after unplugging all cables except charging cable.

Now I suspect a bad USB 2.0 port on the right side of the notebook and an unstable ethernet port too. I removed everything from the USB 2.0 port, plugged the keyboard and mouse directly to the two USB 3.0 ports on the left side, always turn on the router after the system (Ubuntu 14.04) is booted up completely and then the system seems to be fine. I updated BIOS too, turned off secure boot and set boot mode to legacy. USB boot still enabled. I'm still using the ethernet port. Other ports are empty. This is the 3rd day I'm not experiencing the problem.

What I cannot decide yet: is it really the USB 2.0 and ethernet port that is damaged or simply not working properly or is it a motherboard-problem and the problem with the two ports is only a symptom? Is there any way to verify this before calling warranty support on phone because cannot afford waiting for weeks until they determine the source of the problem and fix it. I'm using my notebook daily for work so I do everything I can to make this process as quick as possible and to make sure that all they have to do is to replace the bad components.

When the problem became intolerable:

-empty USB 3.0 ports on the left,

-USB 2.0 HUB with mouse and keyboard on the right,

-ethernet cable plugged in,

-charging cable plugged in,

-factory-version of BIOS (never updated before),

-boot mode on legacy, USB boot enabled/disabled didn't matter at all.

Other ports were never used.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

United States of America

9980 Signins

610541 Page Views

• Views: 610541
  • Message 8 of 10

2015-09-17, 0:14 AM
Options

7166 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29278 Signins

1677553 Page Views

• Views: 1677553
  • Message 9 of 10

TAB 2 A7-30 HC refuses to boot

2016-01-16, 22:29 PM
>>> Post and reply split to new thread in proper forum

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

1 Posts

03-05-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

4 Page Views

• Views: 4
  • Message 10 of 10

2017-03-05, 13:18 PM

I fixed this problem.  I couldn't get past a BSOD on boot no matter what I tried.  I was able to install Ubuntu Desktop via the DVD and wipe all the drives.  I then installed windows 10 and it works perfectly now.  When I installed windows  10 I wiped the Ubuntu installation.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms