Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

04-23-2010

Hungary

44 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 1 of 10

Y550P: How to turn on HDMI in BIOS without seeing anything on screen?

2010-04-26, 13:26 PM

Hi All,

I'm in a strange situation. I got an incomplete IdeaPad Y550P with a Core i7 720QM (1.6GHz) processor, with the built-in LCD missing. :) No problem, it's OK for me to use only the HDMI output. But! It is now turned off (by default) in the BIOS, so I have no video out at all. :( This way I can't even install Ubuntu... :(

So it would be a GREAT help, if someone could send me key-by-key instructions, basically the sequence of keys I have to push (without seeing anything on screen) to turn on HDMI as default video output in the BIOS. A minimal guide (like "here be quick, there wait for long before you push") would be very much appreciated as well.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Options

113 Posts

01-01-2010

Flagstaff

361 Signins

1205 Page Views

• Views: 1205
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Y550P: How to turn on HDMI in BIOS without seeing anything on screen?

2010-04-26, 20:56 PM

I don't think my Y550P does not have an HDMI option in the bios. Can you use the monitor out port to connect a monitor and look?

Options

7 Posts

04-23-2010

Hungary

44 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2010-04-27, 7:33 AM

OK, I see I have to make things clearer...

I have a Y550P with no installed OSes and no built-in LCD. It is simply missing (this is an incomplete machine). VGA connector is also missing. However I do have the HDMI connector on the side.

My problem is:

I can connect an external HDMI monitor to the HDMI port, but I can't see anything on it, as it is probably turned off in the BIOS. But without the built-in LCD and VGA connector actually I can't see any kind of visual output coming from the IdeaPad.

The help I need:

I would be very thankful, if someone could tell me how to press the keys one after the other blindly after turning on the laptop to reach BIOS, change default video output and finally save settings and exit BIOS, while I can see absolutely nothing on any screens.

Your help is my only chance to be able to use this machine, so any help is greatly important to me! Please reply if you have an answer or anything is not yet clear enough to be able to answer!

Thanks a lot!

Options

113 Posts

01-01-2010

Flagstaff

361 Signins

1205 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2010-04-28, 4:24 AM

Ok I think I know the problem. I believe HDMI support is loaded within the OS. When I turn my computer on with HDMI plugged in, I don't see anything till Windows. So you will need to get an OS up and running first. This can be easily done by pulling out the internal HD and popping it in a different system.

Options

7 Posts

04-23-2010

Hungary

44 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2010-04-28, 10:06 AM

I've already tried to get Ubuntu installed on the Lenovo's HDD in a different system, but there are strange problems around booting (maybe because the system I used for installation have a totally different hardware configuration), and HDMI still does not turn on.

But I'm almost sure, that this IdeaPad must have a BIOS setting (like my ThinkPad has) to turn on HDMI as the default boot-up video output device instead of, or besides the built-in LCD.

So if one of you could do me such a favour, please restart your Y550P, and write down the key-sequence needed to get into BIOS and modify the boot-up video output.

Please, anybody with a Y550P! I trust in your help!

Options

113 Posts

01-01-2010

Flagstaff

361 Signins

1205 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2010-04-28, 16:24 PM

Alright man, I'm not sure why you don't believe me when I tell you there isn't a bios option for HDMI.  To show you, I have taken pictures of every bios screen in my Y550P and posted them here for you. If you see an HDMI option, let me know, because I cannot find one. Maybe I'm missing it, but it doesn't look like there is one. I am pretty sure the HDMI drivers are loaded by the OS. What you need to do is just install a fresh copy of Windows 7 on the drive while it is another computer. Failing that, you could install something like persistent Fedora on a USB drive. Then boot from that USB drive on another computer. Then you tweak the persistent OS to support HDMI. Then you boot your HDMI laptop from it. Maybe that's a start?

BIOS Pictures:

http://img641.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0165o.jpg

Options

7 Posts

04-23-2010

Hungary

44 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2010-04-28, 21:46 PM

Thank you so much for the photos!

Luckily we misunderstood each other... You wrote in your first post: "I don't think my Y550P does not have an HDMI option in the bios." That's why I thought there is a soultion to my problem in the BIOS.

But now, based on your photos, I'm pretty sure, that I thought it well! It is right there on the Configuration page, in the "Power on display" submenu.

I hope we are not far from the solution:

First of all, I would need a last photo of the above mentioned submenu: please press [return] on the "Power on display: [LCD only]" line, and send me the photo of the resulting screen with the available choises. (I really-really hope, that there is an option with HDMI).

Secondly: Please verify if I'm correct or not: Right after pressing the power on button, I start to press the F2 key repeatedly many times. After a while I must be in the BIOS on the Information screen. Here I press right (getting to Configuration screen) -> down -> down -> down (reaching the needed line) -> enter (to get the option selection list) -> down some times to reach HDMI (based on your coming photo) -> enter (to select) -> F10 (for save and exit menu) -> enter (to save and reboot).

Three things are unclear:

* After entering BIOS and reaching the Configuration page is it the "System time" line that is active (so I have to press key down 3 times to reach "Power on display")?

* If you press "up" on the "System time" line on Configuration page, do you get to the end of the list (to Intel Virtual...) or "System time" remains active?

* At the end when I press F10 I probably get a kind of "Are you sure?" popup. Pressing enter on this question means "Save changes" or "Do not save changes"?

I'm so grateful for all your help so far! Please help me finish this to get success with my IdeaPad!

Options

113 Posts

01-01-2010

Flagstaff

361 Signins

1205 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2010-04-29, 0:27 AM

Guess I was wrong. I made you a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YevzPMIs-4E

Bios takes only a couple seconds to load. I used arrow keys and enter to configure the options.

Recorded and edited it from iPhone while in library so it's nothing special (and has weird background noises), but it should get the job done.

Options

7 Posts

04-23-2010

Hungary

44 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2010-04-29, 15:12 PM

Man, you're my savior! Thank you for the perfect video!

But unfortunately I've had no success so far. That's why I have to repeat one of my last questions, and also come up with 2 new:

* If you set "Power on display" to "Auto-selected", HDMI really turns on at restart as I would need? Or does it affect only VGA out?

* The repeated one: If you press "up" on the "System time" line on Configuration page, do you get to the end of the list (to Intel Virtual...) or "System time" remains active?

* If you select "Load default settings" on the Exit page, what question pops up? Do I have to just press enter there to reset the bios, or press left to get to the YES option before enter? Is "Exit saving changes" needed afterwards or restart is automatic with BIOS reset?

Thank you for all you do for me!

Options

7 Posts

04-23-2010

Hungary

44 Signins

266 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2010-05-03, 15:38 PM

Please! We're almost done!

Thank you!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms