Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-23-2013

Poland

4 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 3

[Y580] Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M BSoD Win8

2013-05-23, 11:41 AM

Hi!
I bought this laptop in August last year. I was using the preinstalled win7 but then I installed the win8. For around half of a year everything was OK. Recently I sent it for warranty as there was something sticking out from the side of the display and for battery issues. I got my battery and display replaced. Then everything was running smoothly until a few days ago all of this started.

System specs:

• Lenovo Y580
  • 16GB Ram
  • Core i7 3610QM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M
  • IntelHD 4000

When I start any game it ends up with:

• VIDEO_TDR_ERROR BSoD (Mass Effect 2 &3),
  • Information that the driver crashed and returned to normal state (Shattered Horizon) - nvlddmkm.dll crashes as it is stated in the logs.
  • "Could not start the D3D Device" - Portal 2 or any Source Engine game
  • There is a problem with your Graphic Card and some functions will not be available - Photoshop CS6

I tried following Nvidia Drivers:

I did the full driver cleaning with Driver Sweeper etc. Even a format of C drive and fresh Windows 8 installation.

I did NOT overclock the card and did anything like this. It just stopped working without an apparent reason and I did NOT install any new devices.

The only thing I may think of, is that a week ago I forced Firefox to run on Nvidia just to testout the WebGL version of Unreal Engine from here: http://www.unrealengine.com/html5/

Then after a reboot FF didn't want do run and I constantly got messages that the driver crashed and recovered so I changed back to Intel and everything worked. I cant possibly tell if I tried playing after that.

Any ideas?

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: [Y580] Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M BSoD Win8

2013-05-23, 21:26 PM

hi Wunsz,

If the Nvidia shows a "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" eror, you problem might be similar to this thread.

Can you try to:

1. Apply the Display driver stopped responding and has recovered hotfix from Microsoft by manually adding Tdrdelay value on the registry as the microsoft fix it is not made for Windows 8

2. Update the nvidia display driver to 314.22 and reboot

3. Observe if you still get BSOD

Let me know your findings

Cheers

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

05-23-2013

Poland

4 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: [Y580] Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M BSoD Win8

2013-05-24, 5:50 AM

Well... I would like to try your idea however today I got  the lovely no. 43 error. It seems that this laptop is going back again to the lenovo service.

Thanks for interest anyway :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms