Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

12-02-2012

St. Louis, MO

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 1 of 36

Y580 Windows 8 Downgrade to Windows 7

2012-12-02, 0:22 AM

Hi Everyone!

My Y580 should be arriving shortly. I got it on the Black Friday Special and it comes with Windows 8. I bought a SSD to replace the HDD and I am wanting to downgrade it to a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate or Pro and I have a couple questions:

Is there a definitive guide on how to do this for the Y580? I have searched and searched and have not been able to locate one.

Also I am assuming I would not want to use the Windows 8 device drivers correct? Do I use the Windows 7 device drivers?

Would you guys recommend me to use the drivers from the Lenovo site or each devices specific website? I am going to try to save them on a DVD in advance and want to be prepared.

Thanks again everyone for your help! I greatly appreciate it!

Answer
Options

9 Posts

12-04-2012

SoCal

11 Signins

177 Page Views

• Views: 177

Downgrade from Win 8 to Win 7 Success...(Y580)

2012-12-05, 21:58 PM

Hello,

I recently, successfully downgraded my Y580 to Win 7 Pro...(keep in mind, i did use an oem disk with OEM key)

My step by step was as follows.

-First of all, make sure you make a recovery disk..

-Download all the Win 7 drivers for the Y580 found on this site in the support tab.. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD ONLY 32bit or 64bit DRIVERS. some drivers work with both...SAVE THOSE ON A FLASH DRIVE...

-Insert your Win 7 Installation disk now

-Enter bios...i beleive there is an option to retart your pc with advanced options in a menu in windows 8 and you get to it by going to PC SETTINGS>GENERAL>ADVANCED STARTUP

In the startup settings click on Troubleshoot then UEFI Firmware settings and it should take you to the bios...

...anyways enter the bios and go to the boot tab

there you will Change the Boot to Legacy then under that change LEGACY to enabled i think there is an option to disable UEFI. correct me if im wrong, but you want to disable that too. (this is all from the top of my head as i wrote none of these steps down while i did this sorry)

-save and exit bios

-your pc will now restart
 (WHILE IT DOES SO HIT F12 REPEATEDLY)

-This will take you to boot options where you can select to boot from CD...

-Follow win 7 install....it took longer than usual for me, so dont panic if it takes a while for you too....Dont forget to remove yor cd as it restarts after its done cause you might get stuck in an installation loop like i was...

-This would be the best time to have your KEY ready..As windows will ask for one..i had one from before and it worked so good luck...

-Once win 7 installs and boots up fine, go to start>devices and printers>click on your PC> then in the window that pops up click on the hardware tab...

there you will see all your devices and what drivers are missing...

-go ahead and install all of your drivers now... if there is already a driver installed windows will warn you if you want to rewrite and replace the current driver with the one you are installing, personally i clicked on yes, but thats up to you...You can update the drivers later manually of you need to...

-if a driver is not installing properly, copy it from the flash drive to the desktop (idkl why this worked for me but it did...)

Hope this helped for those guys still having problems..i suggest taking a pic of this with your phone so you dont forget while youre in the process...if there is something i forgot please add it on the bottom!!

thanks and HAPPY DOWNGRADING :)

-Omar

Replies(35)
Options

9 Posts

12-04-2012

SoCal

11 Signins

177 Page Views

• Message 2 of 36

Re: Y580 Windows 8 Downgrade to Windows 7

2012-12-04, 21:41 PM

Bump!! I really need this too.

I have searched with no luck. I compared the windows 7 drivers to win 8 and they are obviously different. Not sure if once i install win 7 (if i even can) to leave it alone and let win 7 do its thing. it should recognize some of the hardware. idk....if anyone could help it would be much appreciated :)

Options

353 Posts

05-29-2012

UK, England

1847 Signins

7696 Page Views

• Views: 7696
  • Message 3 of 36

2012-12-04, 22:22 PM

This might help

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/P500-Windows-7-Downgrade/td-p/909541

John

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Options

5 Posts

12-04-2012

Malaysia

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 4 of 36

2012-12-05, 6:12 AM

tried that and i got it all installed on my machine and the problem keep coming back.....

i cant run my work on 3ds Max 2013 smoothly. and the one key recovery button isnt work at all.....

windows 8 just put me off. 

Options

5 Posts

12-04-2012

Malaysia

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 5 of 36

2012-12-05, 6:14 AM

i bet it must be the graphic card's driver.

it's paired with GTX660M with a driver, updated to the latest version but now going to test the beta version.

Answer
Options

9 Posts

12-04-2012

SoCal

11 Signins

177 Page Views

• Message 6 of 36

Downgrade from Win 8 to Win 7 Success...(Y580)

2012-12-05, 21:58 PM

Hello,

I recently, successfully downgraded my Y580 to Win 7 Pro...(keep in mind, i did use an oem disk with OEM key)

My step by step was as follows.

-First of all, make sure you make a recovery disk..

-Download all the Win 7 drivers for the Y580 found on this site in the support tab.. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD ONLY 32bit or 64bit DRIVERS. some drivers work with both...SAVE THOSE ON A FLASH DRIVE...

-Insert your Win 7 Installation disk now

-Enter bios...i beleive there is an option to retart your pc with advanced options in a menu in windows 8 and you get to it by going to PC SETTINGS>GENERAL>ADVANCED STARTUP

In the startup settings click on Troubleshoot then UEFI Firmware settings and it should take you to the bios...

...anyways enter the bios and go to the boot tab

there you will Change the Boot to Legacy then under that change LEGACY to enabled i think there is an option to disable UEFI. correct me if im wrong, but you want to disable that too. (this is all from the top of my head as i wrote none of these steps down while i did this sorry)

-save and exit bios

-your pc will now restart
 (WHILE IT DOES SO HIT F12 REPEATEDLY)

-This will take you to boot options where you can select to boot from CD...

-Follow win 7 install....it took longer than usual for me, so dont panic if it takes a while for you too....Dont forget to remove yor cd as it restarts after its done cause you might get stuck in an installation loop like i was...

-This would be the best time to have your KEY ready..As windows will ask for one..i had one from before and it worked so good luck...

-Once win 7 installs and boots up fine, go to start>devices and printers>click on your PC> then in the window that pops up click on the hardware tab...

there you will see all your devices and what drivers are missing...

-go ahead and install all of your drivers now... if there is already a driver installed windows will warn you if you want to rewrite and replace the current driver with the one you are installing, personally i clicked on yes, but thats up to you...You can update the drivers later manually of you need to...

-if a driver is not installing properly, copy it from the flash drive to the desktop (idkl why this worked for me but it did...)

Hope this helped for those guys still having problems..i suggest taking a pic of this with your phone so you dont forget while youre in the process...if there is something i forgot please add it on the bottom!!

thanks and HAPPY DOWNGRADING :)

-Omar

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

12-02-2012

St. Louis, MO

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 7 of 36

Re: Downgrade from Win 8 to Win 7 Success...(Y580)

2012-12-06, 2:59 AM

Thanks everyone! Now I am just waiting to get my Y580. I got my SSD in today so I am all ready. I am going to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro. I have an OEM disk so that shouldn't be a problem.

Options

9 Posts

12-04-2012

SoCal

11 Signins

177 Page Views

• Message 8 of 36

Re: Downgrade from Win 8 to Win 7 Success...(Y580)

2012-12-06, 20:56 PM

good luck! feel free to message me if you run into any problems

Options

11 Posts

12-08-2012

Alaska

13 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 9 of 36

2012-12-08, 22:41 PM

I have just done the downgrade to Win7 pro with the media I had at the house (I have 2 upgrade copies and licenses). I installed to a fresh 256gb ssd. After getting everything all set up I went to activate it and I cannot! It says I cannot activate from upgrade media.

I normally use this media when I get a new computer to do a clean install on a new drive and usually install it over itself and it activates fine. I did not do a double install this time and I cannot get it activated. I should not have to buy anything else or another key as this is a DOWNGRADE from the Win8 key which came with the Z580.

I am still looking for an answer. I went through the online activation, then went through 4 tech people at microsoft (each asking me the exact same questions before passing me on to another one!) SO I am now on the quest to figure out how to activate this without doing the double install since I went and got all my programs loaded and everything customized. I don't want to spend another 3 days doing it all over again!

If anyone has any suggestions on activation I would appreciate it!

Options

11 Posts

12-08-2012

Alaska

13 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 10 of 36

2012-12-09, 0:31 AM

Not sure how I did it, but finally got it activated!

Changes I made: Went to windows site and got the WGA software (offered after another failed activatioon try), did the registry change to reset the activation with the Method #2: Registry Hack, on http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512. (I tried this the first time and it did not work) and changed my system clock to local time and syncd it with internet time. Whatever one piece or all of the above let me do the phone activation with the machine finally and it  went fine. Didn't have to speak to  MS idiot.

The big problem is it let me use my Win7 key, and that was not what I really wanted. Now if I ever do a new drive and clean install on my desktop I will have an activation hanging on this key that should not be there since it should be based off the Win8 key I had to pay for with the new laptop. Maybe I can get that cleared up later, but I am tired of beating my head on this particular problem for now.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms