Options

6 Posts

04-29-2013

Dayton, Oh

6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 1 of 5

Y580 appears to be dying, but i am trying tsave my data. HELP!

2013-04-29, 8:26 AM

I have had a Lenovo Y580 Ideapad since late September 2012.  I am now having a major issue.
I attempted to boot the computer today and was given the prompt: "No bootable device"
Getting the prompt "Insert Boot disk and press any key"
I have a 2 year warranty on the computer as well.

Here is what I have gone through:
I went to the One-Key recovery option to do a system restore, but there are no points listed...
I then called Lenovo Tech Support, and the level 1 person was unable to help me out.  They kept saying you need to back up the data and we can reset to factory settings.
***I asked them how can i get to the data....Nothing resolved at this point.***

Ok, so then I to go to the next level of support.  The lady took1 down my information and said someone would call between 30min-1hr.  This has not yet happened.

So, now..
I have been attempting to access the information on the hdd using Ubuntu 12.04 desktop
I am able to see the drive, but not mount it.  From what i have been able to discern, the drive has failed...
***I had heard clicking, but didn't give it much thought as it was sporatic and roughly brad new.  The sounds have been there since day 1.
***I also noticed other slightly annoying things that others have highlighted:
 - Issues relating to power management, waking up quickly when i was taking notes in class
 - Updating various drivers (such as the Nvidia graphics card)

The Ubuntu disk utility programs says:
* The partition is misaligned by 2560 bytes
* Self-test failed (read)
* 1 bad sector

This is a very serious issue and the One Key recovery completely sucks.  I had restore points that i cannot access.  The data is very important as it covers work,  graduate school and my life.
Losing the data is not an option!
I am expecting to have to return the computer due to the failure but I do not want this one back and I do not want a refurbished one either.  
I have been reading some scary/similar reviews of the Y580 and I want a later model.  

I will be calling again in the morning, as it is now 4AM, and I still have yet to get an email or a call regarding this issue.  So please have someone ready to assist.

Best regards,

Scott Arjun
scott.a.arjun@xxxxx

Moderator comment: Email address(es) removed to defeat spambots. Also, please don't post the same message(s) in multiple places as it splinters the discussion. Duplicate(s) removed.

Options

42 Posts

02-24-2013

Israel

372 Signins

1201 Page Views

• Views: 1201
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Y580 appears to be dying, but i am trying tsave my data. HELP!

2013-04-29, 19:44 PM

I don't think your laptop is nessecarily dying..

It could just be your hard drive which has gone kaput.

Have you been gaming without a cooling pad for long stretches?

The hard drive gets really hot really easily (55C+ while gaming) as its placed in a very bad location in the Y580..

I also have a Y580 and I don't game without a cooling pad.. 

I'd suggest you take your laptop to your local technician and see if he can recover any data.

And for the future, its possible to remove the dvd drive and instead put there a new HDD which will probably run a lot cooler.

Options

6 Posts

04-29-2013

Dayton, Oh

6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2013-04-29, 19:57 PM
Hmm, that may be it. I had been playing games. But i usually kept it well ventilated and used a belking cool spot.
I may have to contact a pro, but am running testdisk on ubuntu now to look for the files i really need; it's almost done indexing the drive.
Thanks for the thoughts on this, please let me know if you have any others.
To me it feels like they built a gaming laptop that cannot handle it.
Any tips on data recovery when you cannot mount?

- Scott
Options

42 Posts

02-24-2013

Israel

372 Signins

1201 Page Views

• Views: 1201
  • Message 4 of 5

2013-04-29, 20:40 PM
It does feel a bit like they built a gaming laptop which maybe isn't capable but that's what we got so not much to do about that.
The Y580 has a design flaw, the HDD is placed between the CPU and GPU (which put out a ton of heat) so it heats up fast.

I'd suggest you download Speedfan and with that you can monitor your temperatures, including HDD temps , CPU and GPU temps.

While the laptop is on idling (surfing and such..) temps should be at around, HDD:35-42, GPU:30-42, CPU:35-45 in my opinion..

During gaming and anything intensive, HDD: 45-50, GPU:65-75 CPU: 65-75 all these temperatures are in Celsius ofc.

And another tip, while not doing anything intensive, try to keep your laptop on power saver mode, the CPU wont throttle and temps tend be lower.

Its a shame we need to take all these precautions but the laptop is still a beast and its not so inconvenient, for me at least..

And last thing, try to get a cooling pad for heavy gaming sessions and when you replace your HDD consider getting an SSD, they tolerate heat better from what I read and they are very snappy.

About data recovery, I wish I could give you a hand there..
Options

6 Posts

04-29-2013

Dayton, Oh

6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2013-04-29, 20:56 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I was kicking around the idead of going completed solid state. Maybe worth it during the fix.

Best,

Scott
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete