ES

19 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 1 of 1

Z50-75 can't install or boot Windows 10 having two drives plugged in

2018-08-27, 22:00 PM

Hi there,

Recently, after a W10 update my HDD stopped working and never recovered so I got a new one (the same model that came with my laptop) and a SanDisk SSD (installed on a DVD caddy) where I would install Windows. I created a bootable USB using the official Microsoft tool and I installed the system on the SSD without the HDD plugged in but when I put it back, Windows just doesn't boot. So I tried to install Windows having the two drives plugged in but the installer never start and sometimes I get a watchdog PNP error on a blue screen. Things I've tried without succes:

1. Install win on SSD (ok), plug HDD (fail)
  2. Install win on HDD (ok), plug SSD (fail)
  3. Try to start the installer both connected (blue screen)
  4. All previous combinations alternating the two drives between the two SATA ports (same results)
  5. All previous combinations alternating the two drives between the two SATA ports plus trying UEFI, UEFI without secure boot and legacy modes (same results)

The only one combination that works is to install Windows 7 o legacy mode and then, using the Microsoft official tool again, update to Windows 10 (still legacy mode), but that it's not the solution for somebody who wants to use his laptop as it came (UEFI and secure boot working). If you wonder, no, the broken HDD it's not under Lenovo's warranty.

By the way, all drives are shown on BIOS, both have been checked and they work perfectly, the same as the caddy. Linux distributions don't have problems to be installed with two drives plugged in, I don't know what problem Windows 10 has.

I need a solution because right now I've been forced to install Ubuntu just to be able to use my laptop but I work with Windows so it's mandatory for me.

Thank you for your help.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete