Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

03-30-2011

USA

80 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 1 of 8

Z560 USB Power Issue?

2011-04-02, 17:01 PM

I have a brand new Z560 laptop that I believe is exhibiting some issues with the USB2.0 ports.  I have a video camera attached to the USB port.  This camera works well on other laptops and desktops.  When I first plugged it in I had trouble getting smooth video from it, smooth video for 1 sec, then frozen, then the smooth video would startup again. I also plugged into an external powered USB hub.  Same problems.  Then I switched the camera to a lower frame rate and video became smooth(albeit at a lower frame rate).  My thoughts are that this camera is close to the 500mA max for USB and that the laptop is not quite putting out enough current.  Also note that once the camera becomes warm I can switch back to normal frame rates.  I believe when the camera gets warm it's current draw drops slightly, just enough to dip under the max the laptop is putting out.  Has anyone experienced this before?  I am not getting an error message from Windows that the peripheral is drawing too much current.

One thing that bothers me a bit about this laptop is the small size of the power adapter.  Perhaps it's underpowered?  Or did Lenovo just do a good job of designing a very efficient power adapter?

Options

13866 Posts

12-07-2009

Czech Republic

9007 Signins

170449 Page Views

• Views: 170449
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Z560 USB Power Issue?

2011-04-02, 17:58 PM
first of all, why do you need to use external camera? you already have camera. if you are using windows 7, try to update external camera drivers via microsoft update. also, check for system logs for errors.
( right click my computer > manage > event logs )

ps: check your bios version.flashing bios update may help you.
and do not forget to update intel chipset drivers, too.
and please, let us know if you have youcam installed on your system.

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/uk/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=37684

Due to my absence, I may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Options

13 Posts

03-30-2011

USA

80 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2011-04-02, 19:11 PM

The reason I am installing the external camera is I am a developer; performing camera development.  So there's a good reason for using the external camera.

I have flashed the bios to the latest version and that did not help(updated to the 215 version).  I also updated the Intel chipset drivers and that did not help either.

Options

1042 Posts

07-14-2010

Canada

3945 Signins

17518 Page Views

• Views: 17518
  • Message 4 of 8

2011-04-02, 20:25 PM

It might be restricting power to the device, as you said.

To check, Right-click My Computer, select Manage. Click on Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus controllers, then right click on each USB Root Hub. Click on the Power tab to view the devices attached to each hub, and their draw.

If you find the camera to be drawing more than 100mA through any given port, post here with a screenshot. In order to meet USB specifications, any given USB device must not draw more than 100mA per port, with 500mA max to a hub. If the device requires more than 100mA, say an external hard drive, it must come supplied with a cable for dual-draw, that is, using 2 ports, with one dedicated purely for power.

While in this Computer Management panel, you can also check for any event logs that may have been generated during the reduced frame rates. Take a look for any errors in the Event Viewer.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
Options

13 Posts

03-30-2011

USA

80 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2011-04-02, 20:44 PM

This camera is indeed reporting drawing 500mA from the port.  I have a different video camera here that has a similar frame rate and it reports 100mA from the port(and indeed this camera operates w/o problems).  I may have a bit of a misunderstanding about the USB port. My assumption was that 500mA was acceptable from the port from a single device.  Note that I have used plenty of cameras powered off the USB port on other laptops that drew close to 500mA and those exhibited no problems on other laptops.  So I am a bit perplexed on this issue.  I won't post a screen shot in order to avoid exposing the mftr of the camera to any problems if indeed they are violating the USB port draw.

Options

1042 Posts

07-14-2010

Canada

3945 Signins

17518 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2011-04-02, 21:15 PM

No worries, I understand your concerns there.

See, normally you can get away with drawing the full 500 from a port, but Lenovo's choice with the Intel south bridge protects your motherboard. Simply put, the bus is protected. If it exceeds 500mA, the port will be throttled so that your chipset isn't fried.

I understand how this can become a major issue in your case. As a suggestion, you may be able to get around this by using an externally-powered USB hub. I checked online, and didn't see a retailer that has made a power splitter that goes to a standard female USB jack, so the hub may be your only option.

Options

13 Posts

03-30-2011

USA

80 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2011-04-02, 21:20 PM

Thanks for the reply.  What do you think about using a USB3.0 ExpressCard hub to get around the power issue(or even a USB2.0 ExpressCard hub).  Would this be a better choice than an external powered hub or would it offer the same result?  I've tried an external powered hub but it's a cheap one and wondering if it isn't supplying enough juice.

Options

1042 Posts

07-14-2010

Canada

3945 Signins

17518 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2011-04-02, 21:49 PM

If it's externally powered, you should be able to reach the max throughput.

As for the expresscard, I'm using a USB 3.0 expresscard, and it works pretty good:

http://www.dinodirect.com/express-usb-card-34mm.html

(Didn't order from this site, but rather eBay)

I haven't tested the power throughput max, but if the 2.0 bus works the same as the 3.0 bus, you should be expected to get 900mA out of the port.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms