Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

02-01-2015

Den Haag, Netherlands

13 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 51 of 77

Re: Z710 reboots on Lenovo start logo, 2 hdd's

2015-04-26, 22:11 PM

BREAKING NEWS!

Today I managed to make my Z710 run two HDDs without a problem!

In spite of my earlier posting about a non-cooperative Z710 in this respect, I may now announce that my Z710 boots without a glitch from the SSD I earlier replaced the original 500GiB HDD with (in that physical place) while an added 750GiB regular HDD is in place of the ODD slot (DVD-RW) inside a suitable caddy.

How did I do this?

Well, as an ICT consultant, I could not believe that it was not possible to run two HDDs in the Z710. Having read many of the posts here regarding this issue, I found several statements, giving me clues to further experiments:

- someone writes that he succeeded to run two HDDs, but without explaining how

- someone writes that it somehow does not work with the original HDD that came with the Z710, regardless of having it reformatted/repartitioned or placed in either possible spot inside

So I decided to buy a brand new HDD and test it following the next steps planned:

A. place the new HDD directly inside the ODD Caddy, so do not test it or connect it whatsoever to any PC prior to installing it inside the Z710.

Explanation: My rationale behind it was that the operating system of the Z710 had to recognize it and activate it itself rather than through another machine. This way the entry for the new HDD in the registry of the existing OS on the other HDD, is bound to be made correctly. I assumed that the original HDD will be always given a registry entry with an ID that is already in the registry of the OS on the boot disk, and this will result in the OS thinking it is the new OS HDD and that is not the case, hence the boot loop that never ends (but I could be wrong of course).

B. Boot through the Lenovo button first, select BIOS and and see if the BIOS recognizes the new HDD as well. Then boot and let the OS recognize the HDD through Disk Management. In Windows it should produce a popup asking for the proper way to recognize it. Choose GPT (not MBR) for Windows 8.1 (I tested it with Win 8.1 US) and nothing else yet.

C. Reboot and check if it still wants to boot.

D. If yes, make a partition on the new HDD and format it (NTFS).

E. Reboot to check f it stil works.

The results with my Z710 of these test steps were as folllows:

A. Done and success. (of course make sure you disconnect mains and battery first before opening the bottom and taking the ODD out and the Caddy in)

B. The BIOS recognized the new HDD exactly right. I noticed that, as in previous unsuccessful tests with the original HDD, that the Z710 recognizes the Caddy HDD always as disk 1 and the boot disk (in my case the SSD in the original physical place) as disk 2. Weird.

Proof:

After that successful test I booted and crossed my fingers, but it booted just normally! Yes, success! Then I went to Disk Management and after initialising, it came with a pop-up asking what to do with the new disk, as was expected, and I choose GPT to activate it, after which Disk Management puts it in the list properly (as Disk 0, SSD remains as Disk 1), of course still without partition. But so far so good! Already much better than before.

Proof:

C. Then I rebooted and sure enough it was still booting normally and everything OK! Success!

Proof:

D. Then I made a partition on the new HDD and assigned a drive letter (NTFS, E:  )

E. I rebooted again and it still works fine! SUCCESS!

Proof:

Notes:

- HDD: I bought a brand new 750GiB Western Digital Black 2.5inch HDD type WD7500BPKX (in NL about 70 euros incl. tax)

Why this particular one? It it one of the fastest HDDs in 2.5inch format: runs 7200rpm and has average access time, according to the specs given to me, of 3.2ms, which is way faster than other HDDs. If I place a HDD in the Z710 it better be fast one, otherwise what´s the point? An SSD would have been even better, but for the tests that was a bridge too far. I chose 750GiB, because someone on some forum said that 1 GiB HDDs wouldn´t work in any case because of some(?) hidden limitation of the BIOS and for the sake of the test I did not want to risk that he/she was right. I will however test this later again with a larger HDD.

- Proof: I made several pictures with my smartphone during the tests to make it possible to prove what I´ve written here. Some of them are poor quality, I apologize.

- Location: It does not seem to matter in what location the two HDDs are, it works as described in any case, as it, by the way, should, from a logical standpoint of view.

- SSD: I already replaced my original HDD that came with my Z710 with a 512 GiB SSD (Crucial MX100) prior to these tests, which was a challenge in itself for which I found a rather simple solution. The only Cloning Software that worked for me, after numerous tests. e.g. with the cloning SW that came with the Crucal SSD (Acronis True Image) and others, like EaseUS, is the Macrium Reflect Free. All the other Cloning SW produce cloning errors that may or may not prevent the cloned SSD to boot but always break the OneKey Backup and Restore functionality: Macrium Reflect is -so far- the only one that does not make these mistakes, taken from numerous people failing to do it  with other SW. After I tested it with Macrium Reflect it worked at once and have fully functional OneKey functiionality as if it was factory fresh plus the possibility to assign custom locations and custom backups. I also tested -for the sake of being complete- a factory restore with OneKey on the SSD and that worked too. I was lucky enough not to change my original HDD until it would fully work with the new SSD.

Type of Z710: to be exact, mine is an IdeaPadZ710AMBKTXI74710MQ8G500R8MNL. MTM: 59436353, with i7-4710MQ 2.5, 500GiB HDD (replaced later with SSD Crucial MX100 512GiB), 8GB RAM (upgraded later to 16GB), Full HD screen glare, DVD-RW (now replaced with Caddy with 750 GiB HDD, working)

What´s next:

- How to make this work with non factory-new HDDs but with rather de-partitioned HDDs?

- Variant on this: how to make it work with the original HDD that came with the Z710?

- Will a larger second HDD work?

- Will a second SSD work?

I hope this will help some people out there!

Options

6 Posts

02-01-2015

Den Haag, Netherlands

13 Signins

159 Page Views

• Message 52 of 77

2015-04-26, 22:41 PM

@rahulx: what second HDD did you install  exactly?

Options

1 Posts

05-28-2015

Poland

9 Signins

107 Page Views

• Views: 107
  • Message 53 of 77

2015-05-28, 9:16 AM

Anybody fix this problem?

I will try use with ssd and original HDD 1TB  8 SSDH in caddy.

I have the same problem.

I saw that @rahulx resolve this by change original disk on another. Is it only that way? any chance to resolve by update bios or special fix?

Greetings,

Options

6 Posts

02-01-2015

Den Haag, Netherlands

13 Signins

159 Page Views

• Message 54 of 77

2015-05-28, 10:01 AM
Yes, that's it.

I have tried every possible way to use the original HDD in a caddy and it is NOT possible. The Lenovo Z710 will not boot. Not all of these attempts have been posted by me in the forum yet.

Replacing the original HDD with another reformatted/empty HDD and putting that in the caddy WORKS! I have posted proof of that on the forum.
The Lenovo Z710 will boot (from the SSD) in that situation.

(All testing done with a fully functional, working and booting SSD in the old physical location of the original HDD)

If you clone the orig HDD to the SSD, use Macrium Reflect Free only, all other cloning SW will break your Lenovo OneKey backup and restore SW, including cloning software that came with your SSD. Otherwise, you'll have to follow the manual change instructions you found in this forum.

Options

3 Posts

01-12-2015

Slovenija

14 Signins

170 Page Views

• Views: 170
  • Message 55 of 77

2015-10-31, 15:36 PM

Hello,

with 1TB disk I had no success (I haven't tried with new 1TB disk). Now i installed 750GB Toshiba disk (not new) and it works. That's all I can say, I hope it helps some of you.

Options

4 Posts

11-01-2015

Poland

24 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 56 of 77

2015-11-01, 14:24 PM

Hi,

any updates? replies from lenovo? something? i was just going to buy an ssd drive but find this thread. changing boot priority? low level format? some kind of tweak/fix? Only way to have storage drive is to buy another hdd and sell current sshd? could you recommend me one? :) odd is sata1 so we dont need fast drive there right?

Options

11 Posts

12-18-2014

Romania

49 Signins

455 Page Views

• Views: 455
  • Message 57 of 77

2015-11-24, 12:43 PM

Hello everyone,

I have found a solution for this problem and I will post it the following days.

Regards,

Ciprian

Options

4 Posts

11-01-2015

Poland

24 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 58 of 77

2015-11-24, 13:06 PM
Yay, ll be waiting. I didn't buy new drive yet
Options

11 Posts

12-18-2014

Romania

49 Signins

455 Page Views

• Views: 455
  • Message 59 of 77

2015-11-30, 20:50 PM

Hello all,

I've promised few days ago that I will come back with a solution for this annoying issue that we all have.

First of all, please be aware that this is will be a long post as I'm going to describe step by step what I've done in order to make 2 hdds work.

Here is my configuration:

• CPU: Intel® CoreTM i7 4710MQ
  • GPU: Nvidia 840M
  • HDD: 1TB 5400 rpm Seagate ST1000LM024 Momentus 2.5"

I've bought a SSD from Samsung 250 gb and an universal hdd caddy 9.5mm which replaced my optical drive.

For those who have the original HDD 1TB + 8Gb ( SSHD ) please be aware that hdd caddy only support 1 TB so it is possible to not work with 1TB + 8GB.

So far so good, I've installed the SDD where my original HDD was placed and the HDD in caddy.

My Z710 did the same thing as some of you described here.. Lenovo logo in a loop.  :smileyindifferent:

One guy described his loop free experience on Lenovo forums and I couldn't understand how it's possible to avoid this issue. More details here.

If you read his "tutorial" you'll notice that this guy installed windows 7, which works with hdd caddy + ssd ... I know it's weird but it works. But why?

Windows 7 likes Legacy instead of UEFI ( was designed using Legacy, supports UEFI ). I don't know about you but I rather prefer Windows 10 or 8.1 instead of 7. 

Cool, here are the steps that I've followed in order to run Windows 8.1/10. This also applies for a windows 7 downgrade:

1. Create a bootable DVD or USB. I chose an USB booting.
  2. After you've created the DVD or USB restart your laptop. ( Sure, back up your things. )
  3. Enter in BIOS by pressing F2 key.
  4. Make sure that your settings match the "screenshots".
  5. Configuration tab -> http://i65.tinypic.com/257fyhu.jpg - Make sure USB Legacy is enabled
  6. Boot tab -> http://oi65.tinypic.com/mbofuf.jpg - Legacy support, Legacy FIrst, USB Boot enabled
  7. Exit tab -> http://oi65.tinypic.com/25jcc8y.jpg - OS Optimized Defauts [Other OS]
  8. Now your boot mode will be Legacy which means that your BIOS will look up for MBR partitions.
  9. If your USB or DVD is not recognized use the magic NOVA button and boot from the bootable device.
  10. With the setting mentioned above your device will boot using Legacy and windows will be installed as Legacy ( MBR partition ).
  11. Start your windows installation, and if you were on GPT ( UEFI ) remove MSR ( Reserved ) and another 100 mb partition, this applies for original HDD and NOT for SSD. Please make sure that you will NOT delete the actual partition, only those two small ones that help you on UEFI's recovery. This is not a mandatory step, I recommend it in order to remove GPT's remainings.
  12. If your SSD is on GPT ( UEFI ), delete the partition and create a new one. This will trigger the MBR creation. Usually you should get an error if your disk is on UEFI and your trying to install the Windows using Legacy as follows: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."
  13. Choose the SSD as a system partition and go ahead with your Windows installation.
  14. Your device should run normally now and you don't need to press that NOVA button ever again.
If your current boot mode is set to UEFI and you'll change it to Legacy your device won't boot if your HDD or SSD was formatted using a GPT partition schema.
GPT is for UEFI.
MBR is for Legacy.

Please note that I'm not responsible for any damage that you might cause to your device. 

For any other questions related to this topic, please contact me on private.

Glad to help.

Best Regards,

Ciprian

Options

4 Posts

11-01-2015

Poland

24 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 60 of 77

2015-12-05, 12:27 PM

iaconionut's metod works guys!

i've got z710 with 1TB+8GB (sshd) and it's also working. Ssd in drive bay and hdd (sshd) in caddy. No bootlop, no problems.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms