Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

45 Posts

10-15-2015

india

82 Signins

462 Page Views

• Views: 462
  • Message 11 of 18

Re: ideapad y700-15ACZ APU throttle

2016-01-20, 2:46 AM
With such high end gpu its 1.5% faster than gtx 960m hence it needs an i7 6700hq eith 65tdp atleast or amd octa core. Fx 8800p is somewhat around i7 5500u which is way too low than i7 6700hq
Options

49 Posts

06-28-2015

Florida

54 Signins

437 Page Views

• Views: 437
  • Message 12 of 18

2016-01-20, 14:32 PM

I understand your frustration and it is perfectly reasonable. I don't think that the fx-8800p’s performance is the bottleneck currently. And it is not clear whether the product is throttling clock speed because of temperature.

There are other components which could be affecting the laptop's performance and we won't know the issue unless users can find a way to provide the information I requested on the previous page or unless Lenovo looks into it themselves and troubleshoots the problem.

TDP or how much power the system is allowed to use is configurable for the fx-8800p as is the STAPM. It might just need a bios update from Lenovo to let it suck down more juice in power demanding scenarios.

Possible issues that need to be diagnosed:

I understand your frustration and it is perfectly reasonable. I don't think that the fx-8800p’s performance is the bottleneck currently. And it is not clear whether the product is throttling clock speed because of temperature.

There are other components which could be affecting the laptop's performance and we won't know the issue unless users can find a way to provide the information I requested on the previous page or unless Lenovo looks into it themselves and troubleshoots the problem.

TDP or how much power the system is allowed to use is configurable for the fx-8800p as is the STAPM. It might just need a bios update from Lenovo to let it suck down more juice in power demanding scenarios.

Possible issues that need to be diagnosed:

• Temperature on the GPU may be affecting the clock speed of the CPU as in the Intel variant. I noticed that when my GPU hits 68c, CPU will throttle back some regardless of its temperature.

• Fan speed may not be increasing enough when temperature gets close to throttle limit (same problem on the Intel variant).

• GPU or CPU throttle limit on temperature may be abnormally low (same problem on the Intel version).

• There is some talk about the VRM overheating which is a separate component and probably cannot be fixed with an update. But maybe a hardware mod to help dissipate its heat will improve performance.

• Last and least likely is that everything is configured properly, but the AMD hardware just overheats. But, I don't think this is it. The cooling on this laptop in the Intel version is phenomenal. Even with the messed up fan curve, the heat pipes, heatsink, fans, are all well thought out and properly installed. It should keep the components cool enough to prevent throttling to the extent people are seeing. I doubt AMD components are so inferior to Intel ones that they give off substantially more heat than the Intel ones. The heat output would have to be substantially different than Intel’s.

I believe Lenovo has some software issues to tweak on their end to hammer out the problems for both the Intel and AMD version of this laptop.

Options

31 Posts

01-14-2016

United States of America

71 Signins

360 Page Views

• Views: 360
  • Message 13 of 18

2016-01-21, 20:56 PM

Hey Inferno I saw your post about removing the dust filter.  I have to say from the start looking at mine it did seem to not allow air flow but to casue that much of a issue seems odd.  Not saying I dont believe you just doesnt seem right that a filter would cause soo much less airflow.  Now with that in mind I took some screen shots of fallout 4 and witcher 3 from open hardware monitor.  This was taken staring at a scene for about 10mins and not moving.  

I was use a themaltake massive v20 cooler pad as well.  Fallout behaved well in the this test but when acutally playing it heats up to ~90c+

I dont know how to put up screens but Ill post a link to my google drive that all can view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B62aFzukXLtXdlY1UWhMeFdGR2c/view?usp=sharing

let me know if anyone wants more info and let me know if I can provide a proper test with whatever software you guys might recommend. 

Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

United States of America

9980 Signins

610541 Page Views

• Views: 610541
  • Message 14 of 18

2016-01-15, 18:55 PM
Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

United States of America

9980 Signins

610541 Page Views

• Views: 610541
  • Message 15 of 18

2016-01-17, 17:01 PM
Options

49 Posts

06-28-2015

Florida

54 Signins

437 Page Views

• Views: 437
  • Message 16 of 18

2016-01-22, 17:13 PM

Thank You Kosh,

The results surprised me and are distinctly different from the rare/minor throttle affecting the INTEL variant. So for anyone reading this in the future, drawing conclusions, this assessment is only for the AMD version of the laptop and based off a data-point of 1 running The Witcher 3. I would like another data point with GTA V which KOSH reported works great for a while then throttling kicks in.  I'd like to see the graph change from when its working well to when the throttle hits so we can assess what is triggering the throttle and clearly see how it sustains itself. Also comparing the before and after would be helpful.

The performance you’re seeing is not similar to other users’ complaints about the fx-8800p. Overall, this is good news. Most users report that after sustained game time, performance would suddenly drop and remain throttled until they stopped gaming. This would indicate that after a certain amount of time, due to temperature or TDP, the CPU/GPU would scale back performance and not recover.

The graphs show that the clock speed of GPU and CPU dramatically scales back for short periods of time. I can’t tell if this is only this one user’s experience. It is possible to see similar behavior in games when the user is using an FPS Cap or Vsync. % usage and clocks in those situations will drop when the GPU/CPU can render all the frames specified by the frame cap with ease. When graphical intensity increases, CPU/GPU usage increases and struggles to sustain the frames specified by the cap. I don’t believe this is happening here because the scaling back of Clocks is highly associated with spikes in temperature.

We cannot see CPU or VRM temperature. Additionally we do not know the fan speed. We can’t draw conclusions about CPU Temperature limit or Fan Curve implication.

Very often when the GPU hits 85C the machine throttles. A few times GPU temperatures reached 87C with less throttling. This indicates that GPU temperature may not be the cause of the throttle. It is possible that CPU or VRM temperature did not reach its limit at those points but quickly did after. This tells us that the GPU max temperature is at least 85c. This is reasonable. The machine may be throttling due to temperature limits being reached on the CPU or VRM. It is likely that when the GPU temperature approaches or exceed 85C the other components are also heating up (due to increased usage and stress already placed on the cooling system).

Pinpointing the failure point is difficult. Since temperature seems to be the issue and GPU temperature limit isn’t abnormally low, It looks like there are several possible culprits which need to be narrowed down:

• Are the fans scaling properly? (if they do not reach max speed by throttle point, the cooling system is not performing optimally)
  • Is the CPU throttle limit abnormally low? (If the CPU temperature max is reached too soon, unnecessary throttling will take place).
  • Is the VRM Low quality? (Does it overheat abnormally fast?)
  • Is the Cooling System of the laptop not behaving within spec from a failing part? (Is the system overheating from improper contact between heating elements? Is thermal paste properly applied? Are the fans of high enough caliber? Is a vent blocked by shoddy filter?)
  • Is the cooling system designed for INTEL and cannot handle the heat output of AMD parts?

The next step would be to monitor CPU temperatures and Fan speed. That is likely to uncover the issue. If it doesn’t, we will need someone to physically inspect the contact between heatsinks and components and reseat/apply new thermal paste (Highly risky, do not take this upon yourself).

There is already one report that removing the dust filter on the vent completely remedies the throttling. This may or may not be just compensating for another one of the issues listed. Likewise, you can compensate for the issue by limiting CPU speed by 10-20% (no effect in most games) through the windows power manager, setting a frame cap in game below the average FPS you’re seeing, or Undervolting (if available on AMD, I have no idea). The Ideal fix would be for Lenovo to troubleshoot and find out why this Is happening. You can spur that on by arming yourself with knowledge about the issue and contacting them by phone. Explain the issue with patience, politeness, and clarity. Make it clear that you’re not looking for a replacement or to send it in for repairs unless they made some recent hardware change. Your unit is not defective compared to others, each one has the same problem. Ask to escalate the call and speak to a supervisor if necessary and make sure you’re trying to let them know about the problem and ask to be kept in contact with while they work on a solution. Then call back and ask for updates. Or, just tell them how you feel with your money. Return the laptop and buy one with good reviews that works properly out of the gate.

I’ve attached the performance graph from the Witcher 3 with some modifications by me that I used to come to my conclusions. Good luck everyone, you deserve the level of quality that was promised when you made your purchase.assessment.jpg

Options

14 Posts

10-16-2015

Mayslanding NJ

19 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 17 of 18

2016-06-18, 12:33 PM

Take the back of the Laptop off and pull that mesh fiber out of the cover vents that hold it in place. It will slide out very easy if you do it slowly.. Once I removed the mesh fiber that was blocking the air flow for the fans, The trottling stoped and I had steddy fram rates...

Options

1 Posts

07-18-2016

United States of America

1 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 18 of 18

2016-07-18, 17:24 PM

Im extremely annoyed that the throttle issue according to lenovo is "normal" sent in my laptop to bestbuyfor tepair numerous times keep getting told its "normal" well if it is "normal" we need a class action lawsuit and make them buyback these lukewarm pile of turds. Never have i ever bought a "gaming" laptop that had to shut itself down to save itself because they couldnt design a gaming laptop that could play games!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms