Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

904 Posts

04-07-2014

Sverige

762 Signins

8691 Page Views

• Views: 8691
  • Message 1031 of 1198

Re: new disk partioning and one key recover feature

2014-06-07, 22:26 PM

weird well your post was there not long ago, i guess a moderator moved my reply off it's correct post where you posted about the thing that how you can touch 1TB without touching 24GB one which you clearly asked.

Mybad i must of miss read your post there, well yeah you can touch 1TB which is C and hidden partitions without D being effected since D in my y510p is the 24GB SSD.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 1032 of 1198

2014-06-07, 22:41 PM

wrote:

weird well your post was there not long ago, i guess a moderator moved my reply off it's correct post where you posted about the thing that how you can touch 1TB without touching 24GB one which you clearly asked.

Mybad i must of miss read your post there, well yeah you can touch 1TB which is C and hidden partitions without D being effected since D in my y510p is the 24GB SSD.

My question does not pertain to any particular unit. It is just asking about the hdd which has two logical drives labeled as C and D and nothing more. Both C and D have the GPT partition style. So the question is can I change the partition style of C alone so that it will have the MBR style? That is, C has the MBR style while D still has the GPT style.

Options

904 Posts

04-07-2014

Sverige

762 Signins

8691 Page Views

• Message 1033 of 1198

2014-06-12, 14:18 PM

okay i ran a recovery create from windows 8 and after it was made on a USB i noticed it created a folder named LENOVO and a file named lenovo.OKR inside the source folder of recovery and inside LENOVO folder it has format.dat and alot of other files and it also have a file saying each name of partitions from hard disk and size and numbers so next is does this copy actually restore every partition? since it has info and format file and much more inside this LENOVO folder and a OKR file which i'm thinkin it might have a full copy from every partition even OKR and so on and that when it has formated drive it will begin to create partitions at it's correct size and restore OKR, Recovery parition and so on. So to confirm this could anyone here give this a try on a empty 1TB drive or so if anyone has a spare and own a y510p laptop? since this will easy answer up for everyone.

Answer to LenBlazer No you cannot since i checked and apperently C must remain as GPT or it will mess GPT layout and porbably break OKR as well since layout must remain same for OKR to work.

Options

6 Posts

06-17-2014

Lima, Perú

14 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 1034 of 1198

2014-06-17, 3:02 AM

Hi All,

I'm new I the forum and I've read just too much information about what i should do so i'm a little confused.

You see, I've just purchased a nice IdeaPad u430 Touch, the i7 one that comes with just one 500gb hybrid hd. The notebook feels great and all, but knowing this one has a m.2 ngff available I decided to buy a 128gb MyDigital ssd, said and done, I've sucessfully installed the ssd... now the hard part.

To maximize performance, I want the new ssd to be the one running the operating system. I'll install few of my most used programs in there too. I'd like it to work as if Lenovo originally shipped like that, OKR included. What is the safest way to do so?

Should I do a recovery drive (as windows options explain, with the 'Copy the recovery partition from the pc' check ON) and later do a fresh install on the new ssd? why would the recovery partition be useful in that case? What about OKR? Do I have to run the engine version to make a new one? and what about all the lenovo software that came preinstalled?

For now i haven't installed anything yet, so any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks!

Options

62 Posts

01-18-2013

Canada

85 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 1035 of 1198

2014-06-17, 5:15 AM
Hi there.
Well make the recovery drive with OKR enabling the entire recovery
including the recovery partition. Remove the old hard drive and recover to
the SSD. After you ensure that uefi and secure boot works fine from the SSD
format the hard drive and use as a data disk.

Another way would be to order the recovery disk from lenovo and use them to
recover to the SSD of course with the hdd disconnected. Once booting fine
from SSD format the hdd and reconnect. Format would be easier if you do it
via a USB attachment rather than the sata port of the laptop as the secure
boot would like to boot from that and you will be unable to format the hdd.
Cheers.....
Ideapad Y 580
Core i7 3630, 8Gb 1600Mhz, 1TB HDD + 32GB mSata SSD, 1920x1080.... BDRW.....
Win 7 for now ......... till Lenovo gives us Rapid Drive on Win 8 ;-)
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 1036 of 1198

2014-06-17, 5:21 AM

wrote:

Hi All,

I'm new I the forum and I've read just too much information about what i should do so i'm a little confused.

You see, I've just purchased a nice IdeaPad u430 Touch, the i7 one that comes with just one 500gb hybrid hd. The notebook feels great and all, but knowing this one has a m.2 ngff available I decided to buy a 128gb MyDigital ssd, said and done, I've sucessfully installed the ssd... now the hard part.

To maximize performance, I want the new ssd to be the one running the operating system. I'll install few of my most used programs in there too. I'd like it to work as if Lenovo originally shipped like that, OKR included. What is the safest way to do so?

Should I do a recovery drive (as windows options explain, with the 'Copy the recovery partition from the pc' check ON) and later do a fresh install on the new ssd? why would the recovery partition be useful in that case? What about OKR? Do I have to run the engine version to make a new one? and what about all the lenovo software that came preinstalled?

For now i haven't installed anything yet, so any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks!

I agree that there are so much info. I'd like to suggest that you just take your time to come up with a very good plan (one that you are very sure will work) on how you would go about your project. I'll share some of what I have gathered:

1. There are so far two OKR being discussed and some post will only state OKR thus the confusion.

2. There are two recovery method also being discussed (OKR and Windows built-in recovery). Again some post will only state recovery thus again creating confusion.

3. There are hidden partitions to be use by OKR and the system. So you might be tempted to just use a cloning program to copy them. Don't do it because OKR will not be working in the new disk.

4. Creating a backup image using Windows built-in program might also result in OKR to be non-operational in the new disk.

5. There are procedures given but you have to be sure for which OKR version it is applicable.

6. Do not repartition/resize the partitions since OKR will no longer work.

7. Recovery disc set can be ordered through Lenovo. Some info states that it can recreate the partitions and some states that it cannot.

Options

904 Posts

04-07-2014

Sverige

762 Signins

8691 Page Views

• Message 1037 of 1198

2014-06-17, 7:45 AM
i'm gona buy a second 1TB 2.5 hard disk and try using the USB recovery to see if it restores the partitions and so on since i don't wanna risk doing it on may main drive, so i will get back to you guys once i bought a 1TB drive and have had a try :)
Options

62 Posts

01-18-2013

Canada

85 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 1038 of 1198

2014-06-17, 11:15 AM
Hi there.
I've personally used both the recovery disks from Lenovo and the recovery
disk made by OKR created by the laptop. Both will restore the laptop to the
factory state including the recovery partition. Make sure that you keep
your recovery disk carefully as that's what you would have to restore in a
disk error/failure. I've had that too in 2 years of using the laptop.
I can't say about the windows recovery as I've not used that for recovery
and prefer to use the OKR disk made initially.
Cheers.....
Ideapad Y 580
Core i7 3630, 8Gb 1600Mhz, 1TB HDD + 32GB mSata SSD, 1920x1080.... BDRW.....
Win 7 for now ......... till Lenovo gives us Rapid Drive on Win 8 ;-)
Options

6 Posts

06-17-2014

Lima, Perú

14 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 1039 of 1198

2014-06-17, 11:50 AM
Thanks buddy,

Seems rational, didn't do that in first place because some people say that OKR can't restore on a different size disk, so that was holding me down.

Anyway, i'll keep my original disc safe and try the procedure you mention, seems fairly easy. I'll post an update on how it went... thanks!
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 1040 of 1198

2014-06-17, 12:16 PM

wrote:
Hi there.
I've personally used both the recovery disks from Lenovo and the recovery
disk made by OKR created by the laptop. Both will restore the laptop to the
factory state including the recovery partition. Make sure that you keep
your recovery disk carefully as that's what you would have to restore in a
disk error/failure. I've had that too in 2 years of using the laptop.
I can't say about the windows recovery as I've not used that for recovery
and prefer to use the OKR disk made initially.
Cheers.....

Can you please specify which OKR you are using?

Can the recovery disk made by OKR be use in a new blank disk?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms