Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

06-17-2014

Lima, Perú

14 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 1041 of 1198

Re: new disk partioning and one key recover feature

2014-06-19, 2:54 AM

Ok gentlemen,

First, realized OKR 8 didn't have a Recovery Drive task, just a backup to USB drive. So I made a recovery drive via Windows, checked the 'Copy Partition' and disconnected my HHD 500gb... followed all the instructions on here. Sadly, the recovery process stopped around 40% telling me there was an error, tried again with no success... I doubt there's something wrong with my 32gb pendrive. When i reconnected my old drive saw some new partitions made in the ssd: recovery partition, EFI partition, an OEM partition and unallocated space.... seems like the big old partition (C, D) is nowhere to be allocated...

Then I tried to make an OKR 8 backup, disconected my HHD and guess what... nothing happened, the contents of the drive are made to run by some OKR previously installed in some partition and restore the system, so I guess is useless.

There must be some way to make an installable version that doesn't give problems with the UEFI bios and new ssd size, maybe the OKR won't work but I guess if I can make the SO work, I'll probably can get the OKR to work later by tweaking the OKR Engineer version... any ideas are more than welcome!

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 1042 of 1198

2014-06-19, 4:54 AM

wrote:

Ok gentlemen,

First, realized OKR 8 didn't have a Recovery Drive task, just a backup to USB drive. So I made a recovery drive via Windows, checked the 'Copy Partition' and disconnected my HHD 500gb... followed all the instructions on here. Sadly, the recovery process stopped around 40% telling me there was an error, tried again with no success... I doubt there's something wrong with my 32gb pendrive. When i reconnected my old drive saw some new partitions made in the ssd: recovery partition, EFI partition, an OEM partition and unallocated space.... seems like the big old partition (C, D) is nowhere to be allocated...

Then I tried to make an OKR 8 backup, disconected my HHD and guess what... nothing happened, the contents of the drive are made to run by some OKR previously installed in some partition and restore the system, so I guess is useless.

There must be some way to make an installable version that doesn't give problems with the UEFI bios and new ssd size, maybe the OKR won't work but I guess if I can make the SO work, I'll probably can get the OKR to work later by tweaking the OKR Engineer version... any ideas are more than welcome!

See my list of observations. And see my advice. Windows made recovery drive is somewhat different from OKR recovery. What OKR engineer version are you talking about?

Options

62 Posts

01-18-2013

Canada

85 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 1043 of 1198

2014-06-19, 11:55 AM
The OKR disk made by the OKR button works fine for me.
Ideapad Y 580
Core i7 3630, 8Gb 1600Mhz, 1TB HDD + 32GB mSata SSD, 1920x1080.... BDRW.....
Win 7 for now ......... till Lenovo gives us Rapid Drive on Win 8 ;-)
Options

6 Posts

06-17-2014

Lima, Perú

14 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 1044 of 1198

2014-06-19, 11:59 AM

"See my list of observations. And see my advice. Windows made recovery drive is somewhat different from OKR recovery. What OKR engineer version are you talking about?"

Well, this notebook came with OKR 8.0.0.2105. It only has two options: System Backup, and System Recovery. I already tried the system backup option, it generates 63 files all starting with the word 'backup' as I leave the default name for the option choosen, the first one being backup.wsi, then lots of backup_001_00*.000* and backup_001_00*.dsi, and finaly a backupInfo.oki ... tried boot the notebook with this usb, and nothing happened.

The OKR I'm talking about is this one. After all these troubles I'm ok doing without OKR installed, but I can give it a try with this iso. Maybe I could make it work with the recovery and okr partitions in the old drive, to use my ssd space to take advantage of speed.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 1045 of 1198

2014-06-19, 12:16 PM

xRinox wrote:

"Well, this notebook came with OKR 8.0.0.2105. It only has two options: System Backup, and System Recovery. I already tried the system backup option, it generates 63 files all starting with the word 'backup' as I leave the default name for the option choosen, the first one being backup.wsi, then lots of backup_001_00*.000* and backup_001_00*.dsi, and finaly a backupInfo.oki ... tried boot the notebook with this usb, and nothing happened."

Comment: That is correct. That is what I call the OKR user backup files. What the other responder has is OKR 7 which has that proviison to create the DVDs.

xRinox wrote:

The OKR I'm talking about is this one.

Comment: OK I got it. Remember that iso does not have the pre-installed os included. So you won't have an OS after your installation. You can't restore to factory default but you can restore using your OKR user backup files (if they are not defective).

Options

62 Posts

01-18-2013

Canada

85 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 1046 of 1198

2014-06-19, 12:29 PM
The OKR engineering disk you mentioned is to restore the recovery partition
and then use OKR button to restore the windows image (OS. WIM FILE) to save
a recovery image to the blank partition.

IN win 8 it (OKR) causes a Windows recovery to come up.
Cheers.
Ideapad Y 580
Core i7 3630, 8Gb 1600Mhz, 1TB HDD + 32GB mSata SSD, 1920x1080.... BDRW.....
Win 7 for now ......... till Lenovo gives us Rapid Drive on Win 8 ;-)
Options

904 Posts

04-07-2014

Sverige

762 Signins

8691 Page Views

• Views: 8691
  • Message 1047 of 1198

2014-06-19, 16:13 PM
so has anyone here tried using a windows 8 recovery copy that you have made from windows 8? since i want to know if it really creates partitions at all because i'm confused on that it has LENOVO folder with .bat files inside and a .okr file inside source or w.e folder was again.
Options

3 Posts

06-20-2014

Europe

22 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 1048 of 1198

2014-06-20, 13:41 PM

Hello, when I put fresh install of W7 on this laptop I also got problem how to put more partitions becouse there were some OEM, recovery or smth like this hidden partitions

SO.. if anyone have still problem, you can download Gparted program, burn it to disc, boot after reset of laptop and then here make as much Logical partitions as you want

check my screen for prove, Its in Polish but you still can guess what is what :)

Link to picture

here is movie how one guy is doing it, still polish dubbing, but the application is in english so np, always you can find more movies in english on youbtube how to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvtuTk0CoiY

remember that resizing your system partition can delete all data so you do it on your own responsibility and its best do do things like this on fresh installed system :)

if someone wrote it already then sorry ;p I was too lazy to read 100 pages ;p

and I hope it will help someone, I have put few hours to find out how to do it.

Best regards

Marcin

Moderator note; picture(s) converted to link(s) About Posting Pictures In The Forums

Options

6 Posts

06-17-2014

Lima, Perú

14 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 1049 of 1198

2014-07-05, 14:43 PM

wrote:

wrote:

"Well, this notebook came with OKR 8.0.0.2105. It only has two options: System Backup, and System Recovery. I already tried the system backup option, it generates 63 files all starting with the word 'backup' as I leave the default name for the option choosen, the first one being backup.wsi, then lots of backup_001_00*.000* and backup_001_00*.dsi, and finaly a backupInfo.oki ... tried boot the notebook with this usb, and nothing happened."

Comment: That is correct. That is what I call the OKR user backup files. What the other responder has is OKR 7 which has that proviison to create the DVDs.

wrote:

Comment: OK I got it. Remember that iso does not have the pre-installed os included. So you won't have an OS after your installation. You can't restore to factory default but you can restore using your OKR user backup files (if they are not defective).

Hey Len,

Can you believe I'm still in trouble? I've been busy in some other stuff, but I haven't given up the idea of having my OS running on my m.2 SSD!

I did boot the lap with OKR Engineering and followed the instructions, it did showed the message box titled "All done", but then nothing happened... I can't see any OKR window when restarting, neither pushing the NOVO button... so I can't see a way to restore my user backup files. Maybe skipped a step?

I have seen your "A DIY Project: Creating a bootable OKR 8 Recovery USB Flash Drive" tutorial.... so I'll follow that and see if there's any luck.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 1050 of 1198

2014-07-05, 19:17 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Hey Len,

Can you believe I'm still in trouble? I've been busy in some other stuff, but I haven't given up the idea of having my OS running on my m.2 SSD!

I did boot the lap with OKR Engineering and followed the instructions, it did showed the message box titled "All done", but then nothing happened... I can't see any OKR window when restarting, neither pushing the NOVO button... so I can't see a way to restore my user backup files. Maybe skipped a step?

I have seen your "A DIY Project: Creating a bootable OKR 8 Recovery USB Flash Drive" tutorial.... so I'll follow that and see if there's any luck.

One possibility is the boot priority. Try with the m2 ssd as the only device in your unit and see if it will boot.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms