Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

08-15-2014

Nepal

16 Signins

300 Page Views

• Views: 300
  • Message 1081 of 1198

Re: new disk partioning and one key recover feature

2014-08-21, 11:41 AM

Hello community,

I successfully recovered my system from the system button after having repartitioned drive C:. And, guess what? The newly created partition was also recovered with all files intact. My Y510P came with a large C drive (981G) and a small D drive (25 GB). As we all know, there are other partitions on the system for recovery, etc. I didn't want to put everything on C, so I looked up a few suggestions posted here on the forums and went with the following steps:

What I did:

1. I created a backup from the desktop's OKR and saved it to an external HDD (though, I didn't have to use this backup at the end).

2. I installed Partition Wizard Home Edition, and shrunk C from the right side (without touching the beginning parts of the drive shown on the left). Google PWHE and read the tutorials on resizing.

3. I turned off pagefyle.sys, hybernate.sys to avoid them using much later parts of the disk. Then, I deleted them. You can do this by disabling hybernation and then disabling the use of pagefyle. Depending on how your systems are setup, you may also have a swap file. Mine didn't have one.

4. Once those files were deleted, I defragmented the C: drive. I could still see some unmovable files on C: after defragmentation, but I didn't bother about it.

5. Opened Partition Wizard Home Edition and resized drive C, shrinking it from the right. I left 200 GB on C: The rest I assigned as E:.

That's all that I did. I didn't mess with the other partitions, including D:. If the recovery partitions and hidden partitions are deleted, game over.

Then, a few days after - after installing Grand Prix Legends - Win 8.1 BSOD'd. Then, it didn't boot. I was greeted by the message, "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed". At this point, I was worried about my E partition. After staying up all night trying to figure out how to recover those files, I ended up using the recovery button near the power cable.

2 options were there, initial recovery and user saved. Interestingly, user recovery didn't recognize my system backup on the external HDD. It appears backups have to be on the internal hard drive or somewhere on the network.

It took 10 minutes to recover with the initial option. The transfer rate maxed out at 3 GB/minute.

I was very pleased to see my E drive intact. Win 8.1 was reinstalled on the resized 200 GB C. I activated win 8.1 and will be installing my programs now. I have no idea how this worked. It may not work for you. Do this at your own risk.

Moral of the story:

Never in my 20+ years of experience with computers and with Windows OS (starting from 3.1) have I witnessed an OS fail like it did in my case. I'm not impressed with win 8 other than the eye-candy. I hope someone finds this post useful. Take care!

Options

4 Posts

08-29-2014

iran

13 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 1082 of 1198

Re: Y550 One Key Recovery, How to...

2014-08-29, 19:00 PM

hi, i am from iran, where i should to contact to rocover hdd volume to factory defults? here is no lenovo support department!

Options

20 Posts

08-15-2014

Nepal

16 Signins

300 Page Views

• Message 1083 of 1198

Re: Y550 One Key Recovery, How to...

2014-08-30, 7:35 AM

Hello Sharoone,

I was talking about the IdeaPad Y510P notebook. If you have the same model, you'll see a small intruding button ahead of the cavity where you put the power chord. If you have a different model, please check with members who have the same model as you.

Options

8 Posts

09-03-2014

USA

32 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 1084 of 1198

2014-09-04, 1:28 AM

Hi everyone!

New to the forum here and new Y50 owner. (Also switching back to PC after the past 5 years on mac... so a little rusty).

So I will be receiving my new Y50 tomorrow in the mail. After the prerequisite bloatware removal and installing a few programs I'd like to create a recovery backup so I'll be safe. Now before I do that I'd like to re-size my 1TB HD partitions into a smaller C: drive for my OS and programs and a larger D: drive for my files and media (at least this is what I've read to do for best practices reasons).

I've read that I will encounter issues by resizing partitions and having the still unfamiliar to me preinstalled recovery software (One Key Recovery) still working.

1. So my question is if I want to resize the partitions in the manner described (again suggested as best practices from my readings - smaller C: drive for programs and OS and larger D: drive for files and media) how should I do this without screwing up One Key Recovery?

2. Also have researched using Macrium Reflect or just the built in Windows System Image Backup Back up your programs, system settings, and files - Windows Help
Any advantages to using One Key Recovery over Macrium or the stock Windows backup?

Sorry if all this is a bit novice but I'm coming from the past 5 years of exclusively using Mac where I only worried about my automated time machine back ups. :smileyembarrassed:

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 1085 of 1198

2014-09-04, 17:17 PM

" ...I'd like to create a recovery backup so I'll be safe. Now before I do that I'd like to re-size my 1TB HD partitions into a smaller C: drive for my OS and programs and a larger D: drive for my files and media (at least this is what I've read to do for best practices reasons)."

That may not be a good idea. Why not do the backup first before doing the resizing? Although you might not be able to restore using the backup but there are ways on how to do it rather than resizing first which might result in you not able to do the backup..

Options

904 Posts

04-07-2014

Sverige

762 Signins

8691 Page Views

• Views: 8691
  • Message 1086 of 1198

2014-09-04, 20:21 PM
yeah if you resize your 1TB first it will break OKR8 and it will then also cause problems when your creating a recovery through windows :/
Options

8 Posts

09-03-2014

USA

32 Signins

175 Page Views

• Message 1087 of 1198

2014-09-05, 6:46 AM

Thanks for the reply LenBlazer and Jake.

So I just received the Y50 today and first off I'll be creating a USB recovery drive via the Windows 8.1 recovery utility. After that I think I'll also do the OKR backup first.

Then I was hoping to just follow this thread about using partition wizard to just shrink C: (not from the beginning as suggested) and add that allocated space to the D: drive. This was a recent thread for the Y510P.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Disk-Partitioning-Stock-Y510P-Setup-Easy-Way/m-p/1651174#M129782

What do you think? I think I also read somewhere as long I'm not reformatting the drive and creating my own new partitions and just leaving as is (ie. not changing the stock order of partitions) OKR8 should still work.

A bit frustrated that this is seemingly very cumbersome. But do you think I should try the steps in the above thread? And if all fails won't I still be fine with my Windows recovery USB drive and OKR initial backup that I am planning to do.

Options

20 Posts

08-15-2014

Nepal

16 Signins

300 Page Views

• Message 1088 of 1198

2014-09-05, 11:55 AM

Do you have anything on drive D:? I have a Y510P that had two folders (Applications and Drivers) on it. If you also have the same, do not add the residual unallocated space (after shrinking) C on D. Assign the new unallocated space as drive E: to be on the safe side.

I used the very same tutorial (which you linked) to shrink my C drive. I assigned the residue as E drive. After having done that, I have successfully recovered my system with the OKR button on the chasis. Windows got reinstalled on the shrunk C drive. I activated it. And, my E drive wasn't affected. It stayed intact after recovery.

The D drive has drivers and applications that will be used with OKR. I don't know whether you should touch D: or not. Please find out if it's okay first.

Options

8 Posts

09-03-2014

USA

32 Signins

175 Page Views

• Message 1089 of 1198

2014-09-05, 13:19 PM

Hi hereticlohani

yes my Y50 came stock with visible C: of 887GB and visible D: of 24.9GB. An yes the D: does have 2 folders (applications and drivers).

Since you had success with not touching the D: I will do the same and just follow the same tutorial and then assign my unallocated space as an E: drive. I guess I will just have to find someway to utilize the extra 22GB of free space from the D: drive (labeled LENOVO drive). Any suggestions on what to do with that space on the D: drive? What are you using the extra D: drive space for?

Main thing is that I want to have a smaller C: drive for OS and programs for the target of my restore images and now a large E drive for my media and files. Again new to jumping back into PCs so am just trying to follow best practices right now from what I've read.

It's a shame that Lenovo chose to partition its large 1TB drive in this manner from the beginning. Off to try to finish uninstalling all the bloatware before I try any partitioning. 

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 1090 of 1198

2014-09-05, 13:49 PM

wrote:

Thanks for the reply LenBlazer and Jake.

So I just received the Y50 today and first off I'll be creating a USB recovery drive via the Windows 8.1 recovery utility. After that I think I'll also do the OKR backup first.

Then I was hoping to just follow this thread about using partition wizard to just shrink C: (not from the beginning as suggested) and add that allocated space to the D: drive. This was a recent thread for the Y510P.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Disk-Partitioning-Stock-Y510P-Setup-Easy-Way/m-p/1651174#M129782

What do you think? I think I also read somewhere as long I'm not reformatting the drive and creating my own new partitions and just leaving as is (ie. not changing the stock order of partitions) OKR8 should still work.

A bit frustrated that this is seemingly very cumbersome. But do you think I should try the steps in the above thread? And if all fails won't I still be fine with my Windows recovery USB drive and OKR initial backup that I am planning to do.

The steps outlined in that link as claimed by the author has not been tested for actual recovery (again as stated by the author in that link). The author just made an assumption that since the OKR is there it should be working. 

I would advice that you exercise extra caution. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms