Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

08-15-2014

Nepal

16 Signins

300 Page Views

• Views: 300
  • Message 1091 of 1198

Re: new disk partioning and one key recover feature

2014-09-05, 18:21 PM

Hello drewvoros,

I suppose you can use D drive and utilize that space. I did put some files on D: when I bought the laptop (copied program installers from an external HDD there to install on C). After creating drive E, though, I've left D with just the two original folders. I have enough space on E to store my files.

During recovery, the automated feature will obviously look for those two folders in drive D to install drivers. It's all automated. You won't have to install system drivers yourself. I'm thinking those driver files will probably get unpacked on drive D during recovery, so it's good to leave it as it was if you're about to do a fresh system recovery. If not, you can use the space that is there.

Yes, keep a relatively small C drive to create backup images. Do note that C drive will need some free space to put temporary files to run programs, install windows updates (and space for their uninstallers), internet temp files, pagefile, hybernate file and other incidental files Windows uses to run itself.  

I don't know what your needs are. In my case, I usually only put programs on C drive that don't take up a lot of space (stuff like Adobe programs, MS Office, media players, small size requiring games), etc. I usually install large-sized games, like Battlefield 4, etc on E drive under self-made Games folder. I put all big games there. I do this because I never make backups of C drive. If windows gets corrupted, I won't have to worry about losing anything. I can always recover windows and install fresh copies of those programs. I do, however, keep backups of those folders my programs and games put on the my documents folder, like game saves, etc. They don't take that much space, and are easier to backup than the whole C drive. I also never keep my documents, pictures, videos, work files on C. I save all personal files on E drive. I don't use Windows' picture, my documents, video, etc. folders. Considering this, I've shrunk C: to 200 GB.

E has 750 GB+; of which, I still have 300 GB+ free space. You may need more space, but do keep drive C moderately sized. Don't make it too small, because it will grow with updates and programs, etc. If you already have a habit of periodically backing up images of your drives, you can make a smaller C drive. But before you shrink C, make sure you disable use of pagefile, hybernate. They put pagefile.sys and hybernate.sys on C drive as unmovable files somewhere later on the disk. Once you've disabled them, you can delete them from your system. Then, defrag C. The logic behind this is to keep the beginning of the drive compact, so that while shrinking you can go as low as possible.  

That's about it. But, do check up with someone else also (preferrably someone in your country) before going ahead with repartitioning. Laptops are configured/sold differently in each region. Maybe it worked for me because of that. Anyway, all the best getting the system configured to your needs. Please treat this as research, rather than a how to guide. :)

Options

8 Posts

09-03-2014

USA

32 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 1092 of 1198

2014-09-08, 4:28 AM

Hi just updating everyone that my partitioning of the Y50 worked!

1. After removing bloatware from the new system I created a backup from the OKR on the desktop. (by the way hereticlohani the backup was by default saved onto the D: so I guess I know what I'll be using that space for)

2. Downloaded the free version of minitool partition wizard

3. (Defragged C: first though don't know if this was necessary) Using partition wizard I shrunk C: drive only touching the left border to shrink in size (never touching the beginning left border) shrunk the C: from 887GB to 250GB

4. Then assigned the unallocated new 637GB space as an E: drive as suggested and named it My Files

5. Let partition wizard apply changes (during this process had to reboot and partition wizard finished applying the changes after the reboot).

6. TESTING: placed a file into my new E: drive then shutdown the computer

7. From shutdown state pressed OKR button and chose system recovery. From that menu I chose my user made backup stored on drive D:. Let it run took about 20 min.

8. Success everything worked. My new E: drive was still in place with my test file and C: was still down to 250GB.

EXTRA NOTES:

1. Hereticlohani - i did not mess with pagefile.sys or hibernate.sys prior to resizing and it still worked so I'm not going to question it.

2. IMPORTANT NOTE - So I actually tried a few more system restores after installing some software then making another backup. Weird thing is that after I did that when I tried to restore back to my user backup (both before and after some software installation) the user backup images did not work (these were both stored in my  internal harddrive in the default location D:. So I tried the inital backup (located on hidden drive) and this worked fine. Still partitioned correctly and E: drive still had its test file. Just have to do the whole bloatware removal again :smileyfrustrated:

Don't know why my user backup images did not work but OKR is definitely still working... I may try to do another user backup after removal again of bloatware and try. I'll Update.

Options

20 Posts

08-15-2014

Nepal

16 Signins

300 Page Views

• Views: 300
  • Message 1093 of 1198

2014-09-08, 11:43 AM

Good to hear you got it working. I've noted the pagefile/hybernate thing. I won't have to worry about that, then. Odd that the backups didn't work. Did you use OKR to save those images?

I think the images aren't working probably because of the new partitions; don't know. Try to backup the image through another backup services (if you didn't do it already). Maybe, OKR doesn't recognize the image in the system's current, newly partitioned state.

Options

8 Posts

09-03-2014

USA

32 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 1094 of 1198

2014-09-11, 11:58 AM

Hi Hereticlohani,

Just wanted to check back in and update all about backups. So I don't know why my backup image did not work before but it's fine I just had to start with the fresh system again (windows setup, remove bloat, etc. ... did not have my programs installed yet so just had to redo the initial stuff).

After that I went into the OKR on the windows desktop and did a system backup to the default location it pointed to D:. The backup finished and then I shutdown and booted into the recovery via the button. Again I tried to select that image and for some reason it said image was not valid. So I exited the recovery and booted back into desktop.

I then opened the D: in windows explorer and clicked view hidden files. The Lenovo file appeared (along with the already visable applications and drivers file). Opened the Lenovo file then navigated Lenovo-> OneKey App -> OneKey Recovery. In there were the files for my image backup. Since it was taking up almost all of the space in my D: drive I deleted them all (because wanted to save a working image on D: still or at least try).

So went back into OKR on the desktop and this time instead of saving into the default location it points you toward (that hidden lenovo file on D: ) I created a visible folder on D: called backup and saved the backup image into that. Backup was again successful.

So I shutdown. Booted with the recovery button and selected my image in that newly created backup folder. AND SUCCESS!!!!! It worked. Made another backup image later after installing some initial programs onto an external HD and tested and again worked. At this point both backup images I have are working. I guess the default path it initial gave is for some reason not working but it doesnt matter. As long as I can have backup images that work I'm fine!

Thanks for the info and help, Hereticlohani. I hope my experiences helps others.

Options

2 Posts

09-24-2014

Romania

13 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 1095 of 1198

2014-09-24, 9:07 AM

hi, 

I have IdeaPad z500 an like a s....d I used a free software to repart. HDD, to do part. D bigger. The rezult is : Win 8 doesn;t start, When I pres Nevo button and select Recovery, tells me it cand be find... 

Any sugestion? how can I restore my Win8?

Ps. I dont want to delete D part. becase I have personal data on it.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 1096 of 1198

2014-09-24, 11:16 AM

wrote:

hi, 

I have IdeaPad z500 an like a s....d I used a free software to repart. HDD, to do part. D bigger. The rezult is : Win 8 doesn;t start, When I pres Nevo button and select Recovery, tells me it cand be find... 

Any sugestion? how can I restore my Win8?

Ps. I dont want to delete D part. becase I have personal data on it.

Check this out: A DIY Project: Creating a bootable OKR 8 Recovery USB Flash Drive (Rev 1.1).

Options

3 Posts

10-05-2014

Istanbul / Turkey

5 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1097 of 1198

2014-10-05, 20:33 PM

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y570-Alternative-O-S-Installed-later-One-Key-Recovery-is-Deleted/td-p/1745751

yardım lütfen

wrote:

due to we had a long running discussion in the forum on disk partioning and one key recover feature, i thought it'd be better to start new one.

please, check the previous thread before asking any question about this issue.

thanks!

Options

24 Posts

06-02-2014

Brazil

75 Signins

597 Page Views

• Views: 597
  • Message 1098 of 1198

2014-10-15, 14:01 PM

Hello all,

I have been trying to clone my HDD into a smaller SSD without losing the OKR functionality for a while now. Yesterday I had success (thanks hereticlohani) and Id like to share my experience here.

My system is a lenovo Ideapad Y510p with 1TB HDD + 8GB SSD cache running windows 8.1. I am pretty sure I have the OKR 8, as it does not allow me to burn a recovery CD.

I wanted to migrate my system to a 500 GB (465 actually) SSD HD 840 EVO from Samsung. As most of you would have guessed by now, this would result in shrinked partition sizes, and therefore a lost functionality of the lenovo OKR button.

First of all, I have defraged my HDD. I have also removed all my data to a backup drive and deleted it from the PC, so that in the end I had about 50 Gb occupied in my C (OS) partition. Afterwards, I have shrunk the C partition to the size I wanted and reassigned the leftover space (about 530 Gb) to a new drive letter (E). The size i selected was of 425.6 Gb for the OS partition (C). For this process, I used the method proposed by hereticlohani a few posts ago, and it worked like a clock.

**The size of the new shrinked C partition was defined as it follows: I summed the size of all the partitions in my HDD excluding the original C:. I subtracted this value from the capacity of my new SSD Hd, and the resulting number were the size my new C partition should have. With this, the new sum of all partititions in my HDD, excluding the newly created E:, were below the capacity od my SSD.  I must say that i was a bit overzealous when choosing the size of the new C partition, so that i ended up with a sum of all partitions + shrinked C partition about 300MB smaller than the full capacity of my SSD.**

Once my disk was partitioned, I installed the latest version of Paragon and looked at all my partitions. My disk was divided in 7 different partitions. The first three partitions were dedicated to the OEM image, then came C and E floowed by a driver partition D (in this order), followed by a last OEM partition.

With Paragon, I cloned all the partitions up to my C drive (in the same order they were in the HDD) to the SSD. Then I skipped the E partition I've created and cloned the remaining two partitions to my SSD. The total size of the partitons I cloned to the SSD were about 300 MB smaller than the full capacity of my SSD, so I ended up with 300 MB unnalocated memory space at the end of the disk.

Once this was done, I have changed the serial numbers of all my partitions in the SSD to match those of the ones in the HDD. My final layout of partitions looked like this:

3 system partitions - shrinked C (OS) partition - D (drivers) partition - OEM partition

Once this was done, i removed the HDD and replaced it by my SSD. The computer started normally and everything ran fine. Then I pressed the OKR button which, to my surprise, launched. I selected to restore the system to factory conditions and so it did. It restored my system keeping the C partition size intact. It didnt even complain about the unnalocated 300 MB at the end of the disk.

So, all in all, I can confirm that the process suggested by hereticlohani works and won't break the OKR functionallity when performed on a windows 8 PC with OKR 8. My process also allowed me to shrink my HDD and change the hardware piece, while allowing me to keep the OEM images in my new hard disk.

I hope someone find this report usefull.

Cheers =]

Options

25 Posts

07-02-2013

UK

56 Signins

363 Page Views

• Views: 363
  • Message 1099 of 1198

2014-10-16, 8:03 AM

I have a ideapad z580 with win 8/64 and a new 1gb hdd, I also have the bootable thumb drive created from the system before the old hdd gave up.

Now when i press the okr button, I can boot from the thumb drive, after the country/keyboard questions, it gives the standard options of which the reset pc appears the one to select - i just get a message saying "unable to reset.  a required partition is missing".

The new hdd has been formatted as a standard mbr disk with three partitions - system, data, and the old Lenovo partition (drivers etc).

What would be helpful is a "how to" restore system with a new hdd (hdd failure is quite common), must be a simple way to deal with this issue.

Advice would be much appreciated

PS I have just tried again having removed the new partitions and put the hdd back into the raw state - made no difference , still saying a partition is missing.  According to the Lenovo post it should automatically reset the partitions when running reset on a new hdd, so I am at a loss!!

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 1100 of 1198

2014-10-16, 11:41 AM

wrote:

I have a ideapad z580 with win 8/64 and a new 1gb hdd, I also have the bootable thumb drive created from the system before the old hdd gave up.

Now when i press the okr button, I can boot from the thumb drive, after the country/keyboard questions, it gives the standard options of which the reset pc appears the one to select - i just get a message saying "unable to reset.  a required partition is missing".

The new hdd has been formatted as a standard mbr disk with three partitions - system, data, and the old Lenovo partition (drivers etc).

What would be helpful is a "how to" restore system with a new hdd (hdd failure is quite common), must be a simple way to deal with this issue.

Advice would be much appreciated

PS I have just tried again having removed the new partitions and put the hdd back into the raw state - made no difference , still saying a partition is missing.  According to the Lenovo post it should automatically reset the partitions when running reset on a new hdd, so I am at a loss!!

Just to help you out, you should be able to answer the following:

1. What is OKR and Windows Reset and Refresh?

2. What is the difference between them?

3. What are the requirements/condition for them to succeed?

4. What is a Windows recovery/repair disk?

5. What is the difference between Windows recovery/repair disk from the OEM/Retail installer of windows?

Being able to answer them should shed light on your problem.

Additional:

If you can also distinguish between MBR and GPT it would also help. Once you know this, determine what is the default format use in your system. AFAIK, in other Lenovo system the default is GPT. In addition, can one use a repair disk made from a GPT disk in an MBR disk, and vice versa?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms