Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

07-02-2013

UK

56 Signins

363 Page Views

• Views: 363
  • Message 1101 of 1198

Re: new disk partioning and one key recover feature

2014-10-16, 12:11 PM

Just to help you out, you should be able to answer the following:

1. What is OKR and Windows Reset and Refresh?

2. What is the difference between them?

3. What are the requirements/condition for them to succeed?

4. What is a Windows recovery/repair disk?

5. What is the difference between Windows recovery/repair disk from the OEM/Retail installer of windows?

Being able to answer them should shed light on your problem.

Thank you for taking an interest,

1.The OKR button boots into the recovery thumb drive; reset should be a clean install from the thumb drive, whereas refresh does an in place install.

2.see above

3.Obviosuly the recovery thumb drive and a hdd, but the diagnostic referred to above, ie a missing partition isn't mentioned in Lenovo's "how to" tutorial.

4. The repair disk is created within Win8, control panel, using the recovery option to create the recovery drive from the old hdd recovery partition - this was successful.

5.The two optns you refer to are totally different, With OEM disks the COA is not stored with the UEFI bios plus you have the DVDs, whereas with systems from companies such as Lenovo, Dell, Hp etc, ithe COA is stored within Bios and you only have a recovery partition - this in my mind is totally useless, when one realises one of the most common hardware failures are due to hdd failure.  Hence I would never buy a system where you aren't given the external media to re-install systems.

However none of this helps in regard to my original question, which remains outstanding - why is the reset asking for a missing partition on a new hdd, and how to resolve.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 1102 of 1198

2014-10-16, 14:22 PM

wrote:

Thank you for taking an interest,

1.The OKR button boots into the recovery thumb drive; reset should be a clean install from the thumb drive, whereas refresh does an in place install.

2.see above

3.Obviosuly the recovery thumb drive and a hdd, but the diagnostic referred to above, ie a missing partition isn't mentioned in Lenovo's "how to" tutorial.

4. The repair disk is created within Win8, control panel, using the recovery option to create the recovery drive from the old hdd recovery partition - this was successful.

5.The two optns you refer to are totally different, With OEM disks the COA is not stored with the UEFI bios plus you have the DVDs, whereas with systems from companies such as Lenovo, Dell, Hp etc, ithe COA is stored within Bios and you only have a recovery partition - this in my mind is totally useless, when one realises one of the most common hardware failures are due to hdd failure.  Hence I would never buy a system where you aren't given the external media to re-install systems.

However none of this helps in regard to my original question, which remains outstanding - why is the reset asking for a missing partition on a new hdd, and how to resolve.

Those questions will help you understand why to enable you to find a solution to your problem. For example question 1 indicated that the unit have two different recovery programs. One is the proprietary OneKey Recovery (OKR) and the other through the Operating system (Windows 8). In the case of the OS recovery program you have two options: Refresh and Reset. In the case of OKR(through either the NOVO button or through the OS) you have two options also: recover to initial condition (factory) and user recovery.

Options

20 Posts

08-15-2014

Nepal

16 Signins

300 Page Views

• Views: 300
  • Message 1103 of 1198

2014-10-16, 15:13 PM

Hello bivoca,

I'm glad my post was helpful to you.

Regards

Options

25 Posts

07-02-2013

UK

56 Signins

363 Page Views

• Message 1104 of 1198

2014-10-16, 16:44 PM

wrote:

Those questions will help you understand why to enable you to find a solution to your problem. For example question 1 indicated that the unit have two different recovery programs. One is the proprietary OneKey Recovery (OKR) and the other through the Operating system (Windows 8). In the case of the OS recovery program you have two options: Refresh and Reset. In the case of OKR(through either the NOVO button or through the OS) you have two options also: recover to initial condition (factory) and user recovery.

Len I don't wish to be disrespectful, but in all due respect it doesn't answer my question. (i) the refresh would never work unless the original disk is intact, as I say we have a new disk so this is not applicable. (ii) The reset should, according to the Lenove tutorial, but the reset is throwing a wobbly in that it is telling me a partition is missing - this is what I am seeking an answer for.

I don't undertsand your second point, I have the rebootable backup thumb drive which takes you into the refresh/reset as above.  I assume what you mean by the "OS" means going out and either buying another copy of Win 8, or going to Lenovo for the disks, which I may well have to do.

But first I am trying to find out why the reset option is asking for a missing partition, and as I say your replies don't throw any light on this, but thanks anyway.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 1105 of 1198

2014-10-16, 20:53 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Len I don't wish to be disrespectful, but in all due respect it doesn't answer my question. (i) the refresh would never work unless the original disk is intact, as I say we have a new disk so this is not applicable. (ii) The reset should, according to the Lenove tutorial, but the reset is throwing a wobbly in that it is telling me a partition is missing - this is what I am seeking an answer for.

I don't undertsand your second point, I have the rebootable backup thumb drive which takes you into the refresh/reset as above.  I assume what you mean by the "OS" means going out and either buying another copy of Win 8, or going to Lenovo for the disks, which I may well have to do.

But first I am trying to find out why the reset option is asking for a missing partition, and as I say your replies don't throw any light on this, but thanks anyway.

Just disregard those questions. Perhaps later on you will realize that they are really important.

I'll just leave things up to others to answer your question/questions.

Options

25 Posts

07-02-2013

UK

56 Signins

363 Page Views

• Message 1106 of 1198

2014-10-17, 9:54 AM

Here is the the Chapter and Verse from Lenovo..

1.  There are two recovery solutions.

2. In Windows 8 control panel, there is a option/mechanism to create a bootable thumb drive from the manufacturer's recovery partition - Lenovo technology is incompatible with this - so while it will boot in the the repair/reset options that is as far as it will go.

3. Then there is the Lenovo bespoke solution for creating a recovery thumb drive, the problem here it doesn't work if you've changed partitions, or you have a new hdd.

4, Yr only option if the hdd goes is to buy recovery disks from Lenovo for a cost of (UK) £30 approx.

In conclusion Microsoft/Lenove have conspired to provide an incomplete recovery solution, after all hdd fails are not uncommon (sold with a mean time to failure!!!), so for Lenovo in addition to the cost of replacing the hdd, one has to add the cost of the recovery disks.

There must be a better way.

Options

62 Posts

01-18-2013

Canada

85 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 1107 of 1198

2014-10-17, 13:19 PM
Hi there,
Friends surprisingly in Canada the recovery discs are sent free or charge
and not once I had to get them twice as the first set was received broken.

Cheers.....

Ideapad Y 580
Core i7 3630, 8Gb 1600Mhz, 1TB HDD + 32GB mSata SSD, 1920x1080.... BDRW.....
Win 7 for now ......... till Lenovo gives us Rapid Drive on Win 8 ;-)
Options

25 Posts

07-02-2013

UK

56 Signins

363 Page Views

• Message 1108 of 1198

2014-10-18, 6:59 AM

Dragboak pointed out this article which maybe too late if you've landed on this page, it is nevertheless constructive in terms of avoiding the problem in future:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8956-system-image-create-windows-8-a.html

Another question as to why Lenovo doesn't follow this process as it is now confirmed that the Lenovo backup procedure does not provide any protection for a faulty hdd.

Lenovo should revisit this process to ensure the hdd can be completely restored, including the recovery partition.

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 1109 of 1198

2014-10-18, 14:38 PM

Arobmar0se wrote:

....Another question as to why Lenovo doesn't follow this process as it is now confirmed that the Lenovo backup procedure does not provide any protection for a faulty hdd.

Comment: Whether it is the Windows recovery or Lenovo's OKR  both does not provide protection for a faulty hdd. Both provide recovery in case a problem occurs.

Arobmar0se wrote:

...Lenovo should revisit this process to ensure the hdd can be completely restored, including the recovery partition.

Comment: Lenovo does provide the restoration (in worst case scenario, a restoration to factory default in less than an hour utmost) through OKR.

Options

25 Posts

07-02-2013

UK

56 Signins

363 Page Views

• Message 1110 of 1198

2014-10-18, 15:19 PM

Len Blazer wrote.....

robmar0se wrote:

....Another question as to why Lenovo doesn't follow this process as it is now confirmed that the Lenovo backup procedure does not provide any protection for a faulty hdd.

Comment: Whether it is the Windows recovery or Lenovo's OKR  both does not provide protection for a faulty hdd. Both provide recovery in case a problem occurs.

Arobmar0se wrote:

...Lenovo should revisit this process to ensure the hdd can be completely restored, including the recovery partition.

Comment: Lenovo does provide the restoration (in worst case scenario, a restoration to factory default in less than an hour utmost) through OKR.

1.  I'm afraid that I don't understand part 1 of your reply; your comments appear contradictory, ie the Lenovo recovery medium doesn't address a failed hdd, or a missing Recovery partition?

2.  In regard to part 2 - I again don't understand the point you make in regard to my suggestion that Lenovo does a better job - it is quite clear from my conversation with Lenovo that the OKR does NOT cover worst case scenarios.

I am not sure who or what you are trying to defend.  My post may fall on deaf ears, but it attempts to try to persuade Lenovo to enhence their backup/recovery processes to address all worst case scenarios (eg loss of the recovery partition, without which the OKR will ALWAYS FAIL!!!).  Are you against improving the current system?

May I politely suggest before replying that you also call Lenovo to verify the facts.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms