Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 1111 of 1198

Re: new disk partioning and one key recover feature

2014-10-18, 16:01 PM

wrote:

Len Blazer wrote.....

wrote:

....Another question as to why Lenovo doesn't follow this process as it is now confirmed that the Lenovo backup procedure does not provide any protection for a faulty hdd.

Comment: Whether it is the Windows recovery or Lenovo's OKR  both does not provide protection for a faulty hdd. Both provide recovery in case a problem occurs.

@Arobmar0se wrote:

...Lenovo should revisit this process to ensure the hdd can be completely restored, including the recovery partition.

Comment: Lenovo does provide the restoration (in worst case scenario, a restoration to factory default in less than an hour utmost) through OKR.

1.  I'm afraid that I don't understand part 1 of your reply; your comments appear contradictory, ie the Lenovo recovery medium doesn't address a failed hdd, or a missing Recovery partition?

2.  In regard to part 2 - I again don't understand the point you make in regard to my suggestion that Lenovo does a better job - it is quite clear from my conversation with Lenovo that the OKR does NOT cover worst case scenarios.

I am not sure who or what you are trying to defend.  My post may fall on deaf ears, but it attempts to try to persuade Lenovo to enhence their backup/recovery processes to address all worst case scenarios (eg loss of the recovery partition, without which the OKR will ALWAYS FAIL!!!).  Are you against improving the current system?

May I politely suggest before replying that you also call Lenovo to verify the facts.

I am basing my comments on experience with my unit running Windows 8.1 with OKR 8. As to part 1 I can't find any program that says that it can cover protection from a faulty hdd. You simply can't protect an hdd from getting faulty but you can prevent the hdd from easily getting faulty. And if the fault occurs, that's where you have the option to use Windows image restoration or OKR. That link you provided definitely speaks of the Windows image restoration.

As to part 2 I'm not sure about who you are talking to but the OKR program does restore the partitions (partially since it requires the OKR partitions intact - this could be the reason why you get the error message if you have use OKR restoratiop) and the pre-installed OS if you select restore to initial condition option. The Windows image restoration process does restore partially the partitions. I'm stating partially in the windows case since the OKR feature cannot be restored by the process.

Options

25 Posts

07-02-2013

UK

56 Signins

363 Page Views

• Views: 363
  • Message 1112 of 1198

2014-10-19, 8:19 AM

wrote:

I am basing my comments on experience with my unit running Windows 8.1 with OKR 8. As to part 1 I can't find any program that says that it can cover protection from a faulty hdd. You simply can't protect an hdd from getting faulty but you can prevent the hdd from easily getting faulty. And if the fault occurs, that's where you have the option to use Windows image restoration or OKR. That link you provided definitely speaks of the Windows image restoration.

As to part 2 I'm not sure about who you are talking to but the OKR program does restore the partitions (partially since it requires the OKR partitions intact - this could be the reason why you get the error message if you have use OKR restoratiop) and the pre-installed OS if you select restore to initial condition option. The Windows image restoration process does restore partially the partitions. I'm stating partially in the windows case since the OKR feature cannot be restored by the process.

1. I think you are indirectly agreeing with me - if you you use disk image software (ie not the Lenovo recovery software) you will be able to restore Win8 to a new HDD, whereas the OKR wont.  This is my point, and why I think the OKR routine will mislead as it did in my case initially (I learnt the hard way!). Surely you can see that?

2. You ask who I spoke to, well it was Lenovo's UK Technical Support - again you qualify yr reply, "the OKR only works if the partitions are intact" - well you don't need me to tell you that in the case of a new HDD they won't be.  there are also questions on other posts, that indicate the OKR won't work if partitions are resized, and indeed if the recovery partition is lost/damaged, but I personally have no experience of those situations with Lenovo machines, but would wish to avoid by using disk image software rather than the OKR's questionable functionality.

Personally I wouldn't bother with OKR at all as it doesn't cover doomsday situations - thats why I suggest thatLenovo should improve the OKR routine so it doesn't mislead and does actually cover the doomsday situations.  Wouldn't you be in favour of that? 

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 1113 of 1198

2014-10-19, 15:03 PM

Robmar0se wrote: 1. I think you are indirectly agreeing with me - if you you use disk image software (ie not the Lenovo recovery software) you will be able to restore Win8 to a new HDD, whereas the OKR wont.  This is my point, and why I think the OKR routine will mislead as it did in my case initially (I learnt the hard way!). Surely you can see that?

Comment: I don't think so, since you alleged earlier that protection is provided. As stated earlier those programs don't provide protection. They offer solution (not protection) in case a problem occurs. When you say "protection" it is supposed to excludes or prevents you from getting affected when a situation occur.

Robmar0se wrote: 2. You ask who I spoke to, well it was Lenovo's UK Technical Support - again you qualify yr reply, "the OKR only works if the partitions are intact" - well you don't need me to tell you that in the case of a new HDD they won't be.  there are also questions on other posts, that indicate the OKR won't work if partitions are resized, and indeed if the recovery partition is lost/damaged, but I personally have no experience of those situations with Lenovo machines, but would wish to avoid by using disk image software rather than the OKR's questionable functionality.

Comment: You were asking what happen in your first post why you have such an error message so you are provided with a possible explanation. Why ask when you know? The OKR program assumes that when the OS fails you can always restore to the factory condition. It is never intended for a replacement of the hdd. For replacement purposes as what you have stated earlier, you need the recovery disc sets. Going back to the windows image, do you think that the windows image can be use in your new ssd? I still stand with my statement that t disagree with your statement that Windows image process is better than OKR. I (using my own procedure) use OKR to install the factory OS including programs in a new disk (be it an hdd, sshd, or a dual hdd, etc.).

Options

773 Posts

06-20-2011

United States of America

4290 Signins

192161 Page Views

• Views: 192161
  • Message 1114 of 1198

2014-10-19, 20:29 PM

I think that this thread has gotten a little bit derailed. It's supposed to be how to keep your OKR active when partitioning, or swapping your HDD. The last few pages have turned into a broken record.

In this thread, I describe what OKR was meant to do, and also it's limitations.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1/Win-8-recovery-WARNING/td-p/1761247

I would like to add, that in the setup user manual, they "highly suggest" that you create a set of OKR Factory Restore CD's ASAP, after setting up your system.

///Quote///

Using Lenovo OneKey Recovery (within Windows operating system)

In Windows operating system, double click the OneKey Recovery system Icon on the desktop to
launch Lenovo OneKey Recovery.

Within the program, you can back up the system partition on the hard disk drive, other storage
devices, or by creating recovery discs.

Notes:

• The backup process and creation of recovery discs may take some time, connect the AC adapter and battery pack to your computer.

• After the recovery discs are burned, please number them so that you can use them in the correct order.

• Computers without an integrated optical drive support the creation of recovery discs; however an appropriate external optical drive is needed to physically create the recovery discs.

///End Quote///

If you had read the manual, and created the Factory Restore CD's, even under a total HDD failure, you would be able to restore a new, same sized HDD, to the factory shipped state. PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.

Let's get this thread back to it's original topic, how to keep the OKR working, when re-partitioning your drive.    

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 1115 of 1198

2014-10-20, 12:24 PM

wrote:

I think that this thread has gotten a little bit derailed. It's supposed to be how to keep your OKR active when partitioning, or swapping your HDD. The last few pages have turned into a broken record.

In this thread, I describe what OKR was meant to do, and also it's limitations.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1/Win-8-recovery-WARNING/td-p/1761247

I would like to add, that in the setup user manual, they "highly suggest" that you create a set of OKR Factory Restore CD's ASAP, after setting up your system.

///Quote///

Using Lenovo OneKey Recovery (within Windows operating system)

In Windows operating system, double click the OneKey Recovery system Icon on the desktop to
launch Lenovo OneKey Recovery.

Within the program, you can back up the system partition on the hard disk drive, other storage
devices, or by creating recovery discs.

Notes:

• The backup process and creation of recovery discs may take some time, connect the AC adapter and battery pack to your computer.

• After the recovery discs are burned, please number them so that you can use them in the correct order.

• Computers without an integrated optical drive support the creation of recovery discs; however an appropriate external optical drive is needed to physically create the recovery discs.

///End Quote///

If you had read the manual, and created the Factory Restore CD's, even under a total HDD failure, you would be able to restore a new, same sized HDD, to the factory shipped state. PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.

Let's get this thread back to it's original topic, how to keep the OKR working, when re-partitioning your drive.    

DragonRider

In response to your request here are some observations I have made:

You wrote: If you had read the manual, and created the Factory Restore CD's, even under a total HDD failure, you would be able to restore a new, same sized HDD, to the factory shipped state. PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.

Referring to message 1061, Robmas0se wrote "I have a ideapad z580 with win 8/64 and a new 1gb hdd, I also have the bootable thumb drive created from the system before the old hdd gave up. Now when i press the okr button, I can boot from the thumb drive, ..."

Comment: it seems that Robmas0se did not follow the OKR cd creation since a thumb drive is utilized. If it is a thumb drive I suspect that he/she is using the Windows recovery creation (not in OKR) as outlined in the Windows eight forum. Also confusion occurs if the op will not specify whether he/she is using OKR or Windows recovery procedure. We are always put in a guessing game situation. Also in one of my response op was reminded that the whole thread is all about OKR.

Another observation Robmas0se wrote in message 1061: The new hdd has been formatted as a standard mbr disk with three partitions - system, data, and the old Lenovo partition (drivers etc)....

Comment: Does the new hdd have the same format as the original? It was pointed out that most of the Lenovo units have Gpt disk, not MBR.

Another observation: Robmas0se wrote in message 1061: ...PS I have just tried again having removed the new partitions and put the hdd back into the raw state - made no difference , still saying a partition is missing.

Comment: It seems that the whole hdd is erase.

Overall comment about the problem: IMO, It is really a mess! Thus my response is for the op to know those info asked in the provided questions in message 1062.

Options

10 Posts

10-18-2014

India

26 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 1116 of 1198

2014-10-21, 11:17 AM

So I just bought a Y50-70. I have always hated the various recovery options provided by manufacturers so I am just gonna delete all partitions and install a retail pro version of Windows 8.

I don't need OKR, I keep my own backups and everything. But the problem is the BIOS is accessed using the OKR button right next to the power button. So my question is if I delete all partitions and start fresh, will I be locked out of my own BIOS? If so, what partitions should I keep to retain access to the BIOS?

I reiterate, I don't need recovery, I just want BIOS access.

Thanks and Cheers :)

Options

75 Posts

07-17-2013

Ukraine

189 Signins

774 Page Views

• Views: 774
  • Message 1117 of 1198

2014-10-21, 15:51 PM

wrote:

So I just bought a Y50-70. I have always hated the various recovery options provided by manufacturers so I am just gonna delete all partitions and install a retail pro version of Windows 8.

I don't need OKR, I keep my own backups and everything. But the problem is the BIOS is accessed using the OKR button right next to the power button. So my question is if I delete all partitions and start fresh, will I be locked out of my own BIOS? If so, what partitions should I keep to retain access to the BIOS?

I reiterate, I don't need recovery, I just want BIOS access.

The BIOS is not in any particular section of the HDD, and the chip soldered on the motherboard of a computer. Therefore, there is no connection between the removal or addition of hard disk partitions, and the possibility (impossibility) boot BIOS.

Options

62 Posts

01-18-2013

Canada

85 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 1118 of 1198

2014-10-21, 15:56 PM
Hi there,
To access the BIOS you need to press F2 during startup. The OKR button is
for recovery only.

Also BIOS setup etc is not related to the hard drive.

Some people have had problems installing a new windows 8.1 as the key is
usually in the UEFI BIOS and on activation it reverts back to the one
originally installed on the system.

Cheers....

Ideapad Y 580
Core i7 3630, 8Gb 1600Mhz, 1TB HDD + 32GB mSata SSD, 1920x1080.... BDRW.....
Win 7 for now ......... till Lenovo gives us Rapid Drive on Win 8 ;-)
Options

75 Posts

07-17-2013

Ukraine

189 Signins

774 Page Views

• Views: 774
  • Message 1119 of 1198

2014-10-21, 16:10 PM

wrote:
Hi there,
To access the BIOS you need to press F2 during startup. The OKR button is
for recovery only.

There is one clarification. If you turn on the laptop by pressing the NOVO button, then the menu item is "BIOS setup". That is, you can run the BIOS...

Options

10 Posts

10-18-2014

India

26 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 1120 of 1198

2014-10-22, 4:45 AM

The Lenovo documented way of accessing the BIOS is by pressing the OKR key, upon which a menu comes from which the BIOS can be selected. I am used to the good old days of press f2 or delete, but I don't know what's the deal with these EFI systems. I am assuming from your answer it is still possible to access BIOS using f2 alone?

As for the windows key I read a thread where they recommended to use pid.txt or something like that. Will be checking that out once I am in the clear to nuke the hard disk.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)