Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-05-2014

Italy

8 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 1131 of 1198

I am confused .... :|

2014-12-05, 10:48 AM

Wow, I swear I went trough the thread hoping that everything I needed to know was there .... but now I am even more confused.

I have a U330Touch with Win8.1-64bit and I would like to change the 500GB HD with a new 500GB SSD HD. In the process, I would like to keep all hidden partitions (recovery/rescue of OS etc. etc.).
How do I proceed? I am confused with all the options suggested

Do I have to create a USB recovery drive as written here? http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht080887
Do I have to create a Factory Disc with One Key Recovery as suggested here? https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-S-series-Netbooks/How-to-Create-Factory-Disc-with-One-Key-Recovery-7-0/ta-p/548861
Do I have to perform a clone of the HD with third party SW  as suggested often in this board?
Do I have to fresh install Windows 8.1?

Do I have to used the WIndows 8.1 built in backup software?

Any changes I am required to to in the BIOS in the process?

Thanks in advance,
plagio

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 1132 of 1198

Re: I am confused .... :|

2014-12-05, 12:26 PM

wrote:

Wow, I swear I went trough the thread hoping that everything I needed to know was there .... but now I am even more confused.

I have a U330Touch with Win8.1-64bit and I would like to change the 500GB HD with a new 500GB SSD HD. In the process, I would like to keep all hidden partitions (recovery/rescue of OS etc. etc.).
How do I proceed? I am confused with all the options suggested

Do I have to create a USB recovery drive as written here? http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht080887
Do I have to create a Factory Disc with One Key Recovery as suggested here? https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-S-series-Netbooks/How-to-Create-Factory-Disc-with-One-Key-Recovery-7-0/ta-p/548861
Do I have to perform a clone of the HD with third party SW  as suggested often in this board?
Do I have to fresh install Windows 8.1?

Do I have to used the WIndows 8.1 built in backup software?

Any changes I am required to to in the BIOS in the process?

Thanks in advance,
plagio

If you have OKR 8.0 check the link below. It is a pendrive creation project that you can use to put back the pre-installed OS, partitions (with options to change the partition size of C or D) and the OKR function. See if this will help you out.

Link: A DIY Project: Creating a bootable OKR 8 Recovery USB Flash Drive

Options

2 Posts

12-05-2014

Italy

8 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 1133 of 1198

Re: I am confused .... :|

2014-12-05, 20:53 PM

Thaks, I'll give it a try

Options

21 Posts

12-02-2014

California

44 Signins

777 Page Views

• Views: 777
  • Message 1134 of 1198

Re: new disk partioning and one key recover feature

2014-12-11, 4:26 AM

I have an Ideapad U310 (not touch) with Windows 7. The problem is that OKR only lets me restore factory default on SSD (disk 0) when my Windows is installed on my 500 GB HDD (disk 1). The laptop came installed on disk 1.

Options

2 Posts

12-26-2014

16 Signins

76 Page Views

• Message 1135 of 1198

2014-12-26, 12:20 PM

I've just bought my first Lenovo laptop, so not being aware of the OKR problem, I partitioned the drive which is the first thing I always do.

Now, even though I can't run the OKR, a couple of partition programs are still displaying the relevant partition names and contents. Everything still seems to be there.

Is there any way to get this running besides buying the restore disks?

This has never happened on any other computer, and the first post here says 'its a long running problem'. If they know that, why haven't they fixed it?

Also, if I do go to the last resort of purchasing the restore disks, does this mean that I can wipe the restore partitions on the HD and use the space?

Options

25 Posts

07-02-2013

UK

56 Signins

363 Page Views

• Views: 363
  • Message 1136 of 1198

2014-12-27, 21:25 PM

I don't know if Lenovo have reworked the OKR software to cope with different sdd/hdd situations (repartitioning, replacing, failure, etc), but somehow I don't think so.  Not everyone will agree with me, but as it stands the OKR sotware in our opinion is not fit for purpose.

We like the Lenovo hardware, we have now over 12 of them, but Lenovo's strength is not their software.  We now take a system image when we get them so we have an independent recovery medium, should the drive fail.  This is especially important with the way that Windows 8 is now distributed.

Note that drive failure is now possibly the most significant cause of system fails (they are sold with a mean time to failure); we have had a couple fail recemtly where the hdd failed within 2 years of purchase.

Options

2 Posts

12-26-2014

16 Signins

76 Page Views

• Message 1137 of 1198

2014-12-28, 13:59 PM
I agree with you. The first thing I did was the same thing I'd done to all my other laptops using the same program I always use. I haven't even had this a week and already I've lost the restore functionality.
I know I should have created the restore media right at the start, but at the same time I haven't done anything I hadn't done many times before.
'Highly recommending' we create the disks is not the same as saying 'You will lose something if you partition your drive'.
Options

6 Posts

12-26-2014

10 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 1138 of 1198

Re: OEM Partition & OneKey Recovery

2015-01-11, 5:40 AM

I haven't tried to use One Key recovery to restore my system (I have an N586 which I have thouroughly upgraded.) In particular, I used Mini-tool Partition Wizard  to copy the original (500GB) harddrive onto a 1TB hybrid drive (with a definate improvement in boot time and app loading time of the webbrowsers BTW.) I did, resize the partitions proportionally, when I cloned the original to the new, larger, hard drive. Having done that, I subsequentally had an error message telling me that I couldn't restore my hard drive to factory settings - the "files have been corrupted" or some such. I was able to use the recovery software to create a recovery image on a thumb drive though.

Question I have now is: Can I test the USB "image file," to see if it will work, without actually formating everything on my new harddrive? I just would be intrested to know  - I still have the original hard drive on the shelf, if I need to start from scratch.

Options

3 Posts

01-23-2015

Slovakia

9 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 1139 of 1198

2015-01-23, 15:58 PM

Hi today I just wanted to reinstall and refresh my Laptop with "Remove everything and reinstall Windows"(it says that laptop will reset to factory settings, so i thought that apps like one key, and other stuff from lenovo will be there after restoring laptop) but it didnt work so I had to use this tutorial(I used it because I had a problem with missing files) fix-refresh-remove-recovery-windows-81-upgrade/, Because one key recovery is not working since I did partitioning in another program because in disk managment I was able to do partitioning for disk C with over 300 GBs and i want to have disk C just with around 125 GB and remaining for disk D for example, and since then one key recovery is not working. Today I fully have reinstalled Laptop with that tutorial and now it says that my windows key is not activated.
I bought this Laptop Y510p year ago but i havent got any windows key. Should I send it for repair to my local store (Slovakia) where I bought it or something else? 

(sorry for bad English)
Thanks for help

Options

6 Posts

12-26-2014

10 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 1140 of 1198

2015-01-24, 0:43 AM

You may need to call windows support, if the Windws OS reports that your OS is not activiated. It's really no big deal. The robo-voice will talk you through a few basic questions and provide you an authentication code that you will need to enter into the authentication pop-up when you choose to validate by phone.

Don't panic!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)