Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

07-30-2015

United States

9 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 61 of 166

Re: windows 10 upgrade for y40-70 error "Internal Power Error"

2015-07-30, 2:08 AM

wrote:
I don't have enough time to recover because it just resets again. Any help?

Hold down Shift while restarting the computer. 

Then, Windows 10 will reboot and ask you to select an option. Choose Troubleshoot.

Then, on the Troubleshoot screen, select Advanced options.

On the Advanced options screen, choose Startup Settings.

Windows 10 notifies you that you can restart your device in order to change advanced boot options, including enabling Safe Mode. Press Restart.

After Windows 10 reboots, you can choose which boot options you want enabled. To get into Safe Mode, you have three different options. To enable Safe Mode press the F4 key on your keyboard, to enable Safe Mode with Networking press F5 and to enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt press F6.

Options

2 Posts

07-30-2015

United States

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 62 of 166

RE: Not Enough Time

2015-07-30, 2:08 AM

This works without safe mode.  Here's the fastest way I found for initially stopping the blue screen crash from happening, I recorded a short video of what worked for me:

http://screencast.com/t/CNtpqJPE

Hope this helps!

Options

11 Posts

07-30-2015

United States

9 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 63 of 166

2015-07-30, 2:12 AM

wrote:
Hmmm......I just right clicked the AMD R9 device in device manager and was able to download the latest driver to 15.200.1065. I was able to revert to 8.1 to do this but haven't pulled the trigger to reinstall 10 yet to make sure that is the culprit.

I just spent two hours working on this for my wife's y40-70. That was the only version that wouldn't blue screen. She's been on Youtube watching stuff for over 30 minutes now. It wouldn't last a minute prior. 

It's simple to diagnose if the AMD driver is the issue. Boot into the Bios (UEFI) and disable the switchable graphics. This will cause your laptop to only use the lower power Intel Graphics. If your laptop doesn't crash after that, it's the AMD drivers. 

Options

11 Posts

07-30-2015

United States

9 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 64 of 166

Re: RE: Not Enough Time

2015-07-30, 2:13 AM

wrote:

This works without safe mode.  Here's the fastest way I found for initially stopping the blue screen crash from happening, I recorded a short video of what worked for me:

http://screencast.com/t/CNtpqJPE

Hope this helps!

I hope everyone sees this! This is a super fast way to get to the device manager and shut down the AMD device while you update the driver! 

Options

1 Posts

07-30-2015

United States

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 65 of 166

2015-07-30, 2:29 AM

wrote:
And also the 8.1 beta drivers are also causing the crash on windows 8 when the gpu is put to use, and I cannot get a hold of older drivers so basically I'm stuck.

I made an account just so I could add to this. I was having the same issue. It started earlier today when the AMD Catalyst Control Center downloaded their automatic update. After that whenever I tried to open any program that used the AMD card my computer would blue screen.

I "fixed" it pretty much by accident. While investigating if this had anything to do with Windows 10 being preloaded, I went to System Update and downloaded the optional updates, one of which was an AMD driver. After restarting my computer, everything works fine again. I still don't know if the driver I got from Windows is older than the one AMD updated to, or if there was a bug with the first installation.

Options

1 Posts

07-30-2015

Tampa

5 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 66 of 166

2015-07-30, 2:58 AM

Thank You!

I thought I would have to go back to 8.1

I am up and working using your instructions.

Options

1 Posts

07-30-2015

New jersey

3 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 67 of 166

2015-07-30, 3:16 AM

I was facing the same issue, this is what I did and it fixed it.

very simple process

* You will have to be quick, since it will give u the blue screen within a min or 2

1.) right click on start

2.) go Device manager

3.) scroll down to display adapter

4.) under the AMD M7 ... right click and disable

5.) after disabling it, it wont give u the blue screen anymore

6.) go back under display adapter, under AMD M7 and hit update device driver thru windows

7.) once windows is done install the drivers, do a restart and the problem should be fixed

It worked for me!!!!

Options

1 Posts

07-30-2015

United States of America

3 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 68 of 166

2015-07-30, 3:20 AM

I've also got a Y40-70 with the AMD Radeon R9 M275.

I'm trying to install the AMD Radeon drivers, but it blue screened before I could get the installer to finish.
This is outside of my realm of experience and expertise so I'm very frustrated.

When I opened in Safe Mode, I followed the directions from z3r0png but when it came time to "refresh", I had a devil of a time figuring out how to refresh and then finding what they referred to as "Unknown Display Device". I _thought_ I figured it out- I found "Other Devices > Video Controller" and diabled that instead. It installed the AMD install manager, but then crapped out again. I rebooted AGAIN and it got up to the AMD Gaming Evolved App and then I got an installization failure error. The Gaming Evolved App opened up.

I went back to Device Manager, the is no AMD device at all. I ran the AMD auto detect and it says it can't detect my OS. Reboot again. This time it's showing the AMD device, but then in crapped out once more. My machine also keeps wanted to run OneDrive, but is getting all sorts of script errors. I went back into Safe Mode one more time, disabled OneDrive on Start-up, ran thru z3r0png's steps again. This time, no install errors, but then I got that accursed blue screen on the reboot. Reboot AGAIN while inventing new curse words. Same thing- blue screen.

Got incredibly frustrated and then tried aaronmanan's suggested steps.

So far, it's working, but I haven't restarted the computer again, either. If it fails, I'll go on to Thesaint643's suggested steps.

If that doesn't work, is this something that can be fixed/covered by my extened warranty?

Options

5 Posts

07-28-2015

United States

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 69 of 166

2015-07-30, 3:40 AM

What is the version of catalyst that works fine. Can someone post a link form where that version they downloaded

Options

1 Posts

07-30-2015

United States

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 70 of 166

2015-07-30, 4:22 AM

Alright guys this is how far I got. For those having trouble getting into safe mode, don't race. Just go into BIOS (turn off the computer, unplug the power cable, and click that little button next to power), find where it says Switchable Graphics and turn it off. If you don't need your Radeon card, you can just turn on the computer and go on your merry way, cause the problems gone right there. But if you want to move on, press Win+r, type in "msconfig", go to the second tab and turn on the Safe Mode option, and restart. Instant safe mode, until you turn that option off. 

Now, I also haven't been able to get to the point where it says "Unknown Graphics Device" and be able to disable it, so I'm gonna uninstall once more, go back into normal mode and mad rush to install the new driver. Wish me luck.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)