Options

2 Posts

11-05-2011

usa

5 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 1 of 3

y470 Anyone have a stable win7 os with no daily BSOD occurring even after reinstall

2011-11-05, 4:26 AM

Hi

Is there anyone been able to have a stable machine with win 7.  I have yet in the three months I have had mine been able to use it except with a live Linux which will run flawlessly.  I should have sent it back when I first got it as when I first turned it on I was informed that windows did not start normally the last time.  I was very paranoid, called and talk with tech support who said not to worry.  I bought the restore disks just in case but that did not do much good.   At first I just did the one button restore and it would be okay for a couple of days.  When I had some time I tried the restore DVD which after some thirty attempts has to yet restore.  Having to have the computer I bought a full win 7 professional version.  Even with all drivers installed from lenovo website you will be using it and it will just restart or give the BSOD after a win 7 update.  Note it runs fines with Linux.  I have talked with tech support and one guy was fairly decent.  he wanted me to get another set of restore DVD's as he felt that my was defected.  I have tried them probably about thirty times( the bezel has fallen off of the DVD drive I have used it so much)   This guy transferred me to software who inform me that the recovery DVD would be another 49 dollars.  Mine you I had just paid 50 dollars for the first set.  One tech support said he thought I was not giving the restore process long enough.  If not so sad it would be amusing, at that time I had several attempts already of more that 24 hours, I have since left it running for over a week in the restore just to see if it might work.  You have to run the restore from the main DVD drive to have it work.  It always gets to the apply os, that is it has no problems wipe the drive creating four partition and loading data into these partition.  Due to the fact I had to have a laptop that worked I bought my wife a new HP which I have been borrowing.  This was to be my happiness not my hell.  So I ask again if you have a stable win 7 home or professional let me know what the secret is.  It is the 470 with the nvidia and Intel graphics.  Any body close to house springs, MO(just outside of st Louis)  it is too much money to waste, oh did i mention I was hung up on three time while I was on hold for the software division.

Options

2 Posts

11-05-2011

usa

5 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: y470 Anyone have a stable win7 os with no daily BSOD occurring even after reinstall

2011-11-06, 6:33 AM

I noticed no replies to my previous post about the y470 not working with out BSOD from day 1.  The most pleasure I have gotten from this my father day's present is carrying it to the local IT  clubs meeting and demonstrating it.  What a blast to listen to the comments.  Advertising for you lenovo but probably not what you want and certainly not to the group of people you want((IT guys from companies here in St Louis).  Just in case I have not been clear I am extremely dissatisfied with the y470 and its BSOD (even after reinstalling  numerous time of different win 7s).  I guess all that is left is facebook and putting some info on my website with tags like Free, Sex, Money, drugs cheap.  Maybe I will eventually get interest in the issue.  I am learning more about mini dumps than I every even knew existed.

Options

3 Posts

11-10-2011

Virginia

6 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: y470 Anyone have a stable win7 os with no daily BSOD occurring even after reinstall

2011-11-10, 5:05 AM

i had the same issue with my y470 and the fix is to the a fresh install of windows (not that lenovo recovery, it never helped when I had the BSOD issue)"...

here is quote from another website for a response to this question about BSOD lol (i have answered the question so many times at notebookcheck forums, i used to have BSOD on a daily basis but a fresh install completely fixed it)

"it's a software issue, it has to do with the pesky nvidia driver (nvlddmkm.sys)  (it has to do with the computer thinking it's outdated or something) and i used to have the same issue...if you look up that driver on google, you will see that you are not the only one..several other laptops and desktops have that issue...back when I had the issue (it blue screened on random occasions), whenever i saw that blue screen, i quickly disconnected and removed the battery because if you let the computer fully reboot after the blue screen, the switch won''t work and you are forced to shut down and start it up again to temporary fix it...i almost returned the laptop because of this issue but i eventually fixed thanks to some suggestions in the forum...The answer is to do a fresh install of windows and install drivers from the nvidia website (one key recovery won't help you there, i used it so many times but the issue kept coming back)..and make before you do a fresh install (make sure to backup the "LENOVO (D) " partition to an external storage. You are going to the need the drivers from that partition after you do a fresh install...here is a thread I started because of the issue...hope this helps"

p.s.  Sorry for the long post and here is a thread i started over the issue...http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/612321-y470-daily-blue-screen-issue.html

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete