Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-25-2016

Italy

5 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 1 of 1

y50-70 CPU frequency scaling on battery and Turbo-Boost issues

2016-11-13, 10:16 AM

Hello everybody,

I'm an "not so happy" owner of an ideapad y50-70 with this configuration:

-Intel i7 4720HQ

-NVIDIA geforce GTX 960M

-Samsung SSD and 8GB ram

so...coming to my problem:

since I bought it, i have strong CPU frequency scaling issues. it means that:

-ON BATTERY, CPU frequency NEVER exceeds 800MHz, making my lenovo almost a paperweight. I have always to keep it plugged in.

-even WHEN PLUGGED, just 1-2 MINUTES after boot, it remains stucked at 800MHz, then the problem seems to disappear.

-but WHEN CPU LOAD exceeds ~25%, Intel turbo boost gets disabled, and my cpu instead of running at 3.6 GHz, runs at 2.6.

-WHEN i close the screen, CPU slower at 1.8 GHz

I've downloaded Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility, and I discovered that for the first two cases seems that intervene a sort of thermal throttling, and the cpu scales as it is overheated (obviously is not real occurence, as temperatures never rise above 55-60°C).

for the last two cases, NO kind of evidences of the frequency scaling appears (i.e.: not, as above, a thermal throttling feature "activation"), but only a system slowing and the frequency value that drops.

now, all that happens under Windows 10 pro. In Ubuntu 14.04 the problem is just related to the frequency scaling on battery.

what I have done:

-downgraded the BIOS version to an older one (3.03-->2.02) with no success

-NO energy-saving profiles activated, obviously

-disabled the video card, the wireless card directly from the BIOS to see if there are incompatibilities

-surfed the web for months to find a solution. I tried to look for the intel DPTF driver (Windows), but it seems not existing for y50-70...possible??

what I think:

-can be something related (for any strange reason) to the boot mode? When i bought my laptop, it was without OS. I installed Win10 with my licence and it was installed in Legacy mode, and not UEFI. When i installed Ubuntu, it was installed as legacy too. But as told, in the linux based OS the problem is only the "battery" one. It can be possible that the boot mode generate any kind of incompatibility?

-Can be something dependent on any Windows missing driver? And this can be reflected on Ubuntu? (it seems to be a non-sense consideration, but if i think at the Lenovo Setting application, if IN WINDOWS I select for the "conservation" mode" of the battery (never charging over 60% even if plugged), this modality remains active even in UBUNTU)

what can i do?

For now, I cannot return my pc to Lenovo asking for a repair (for the next months i absolutelly need for my pc), but i will do it before warrant voids, if i do not solve.

many thanks for your time

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms