Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

28 Posts

03-21-2012

United States of America

62 Signins

344 Page Views

• Views: 344
  • Message 21 of 30

Re: y50 touch elan touchpad

2015-06-12, 11:23 AM

I figured out the problem. When Lenovo replaced the touchpad on my Y50 UHD, they apparently installed a SYNAPTICS version of the touchpad instead of the original ELAN touchpad that came w/ my computer (since both have identical FRUs). I surmise that since both pads are "PS/2" compatible, they both work at a low level; HOWEVER, the advanced options won't work if you have the wrong device drivers installed. I forcibly chose to install the synaptics drivers (windows said that it couldn't confirm that the drivers would work w/ my device, and I installed anyway), and now I have all the advanced options working.

Options

2 Posts

06-23-2015

greece

10 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 22 of 30

2015-06-23, 8:50 AM

Exact the same problem. even tried to change registry i instaled all the possible drivers .In elan tab the device was standar ps2 . Finally it worked. My system has always picked up elan drivers . I forced it to install synaptics. I tried several times. I installed synaptics from lenovo's drivers (have disk-- synaptics -- 64 -- (to possible files to select) )
Although i and my machine thought that there is elan touch pad everything works with synaptics.
screen.png

Options

15 Posts

03-15-2015

Atlanta

18 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 23 of 30

2015-07-23, 2:14 AM

I have the same issue. How did you fix it? You said they installed synaptics and then that you proceeded to install synaptics. That doesn't make sense lol. Did you mean you installed Elan? If so can you link me to drivers?

Options

2 Posts

06-23-2015

greece

10 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 24 of 30

2015-07-23, 12:45 PM

As you can see in my previous message the both drivers are instaled. I automatically instal the elan driver (latest availiable driver in lenovo suport) and then manualy i instaled the synaptics drivers from the same zip file. When the elan drivers were instaled in the Elan tab in mouse properties it was written Devices:Name:Lenovo pointing system. Now its blank . I cant help more because its strange :p It accidentally works :p
111111.png

Options

28 Posts

03-21-2012

United States of America

62 Signins

344 Page Views

• Views: 344
  • Message 25 of 30

2015-07-24, 2:32 AM

Does anyone know the exact PART (not FRU) number for the ELAN touchpad? The FRU for the Elan and Synaptics touchpads are the same, apparently: 5CB0F78785

I want the ELAN touchpad, not the Synaptics one that replaced the ELAN one

Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

United States of America

9980 Signins

610541 Page Views

• Views: 610541
  • Message 26 of 30

2015-10-19, 21:18 PM
Options

1 Posts

01-31-2016

Canada

2 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 27 of 30

2016-01-31, 19:42 PM

Thank you so much. I've had so many problems with my y50 (shutting down randomly)... Which is a shame considering how much I paid for it.

Sent it away and they replaced the touchpad because the ELAN branded one was rubbish.

Lenovo techs are the worst. It's always "well just reinstall everything and let us know how it went."

That's their solution for everything. Thanks again!

Options

17 Posts

01-08-2016

India

18 Signins

152 Page Views

• Views: 152
  • Message 28 of 30

2016-11-06, 6:28 AM

Lol. Even I got the same experience with them. Unless and untill we don't force them out they don't go replacement of the parts. Actually the faults are itself within the designing of Y50 model but still they sell it out. Moreover the major problem comes when they replace the parts with those of some other company that they recently partner up with. One-Key recovery is indeed what Lenovo technicians need all the time to slip away.

Options

10 Posts

04-28-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 29 of 30

2017-06-01, 22:26 PM

Exactly the same problem here! I have a Flex 4, which I sent in because the ENTER key on the keyboard was broken. Just a simple key. I'd probed around the internet trying to find this mere key (common key-replacement sites didn't have this specific model, and I bought one that didn't match), and ultimately tried going through Lenovo. They fixed it under warranty - by replacing the ENTIRE TOP of the computer - which all the PC components are mounted to. And the keyboard. And the touchpad.

When I got it back, it started up, and the touchpad was... glitchy. Like, I have to place my entire finger on the pad to move the cursor around, super awkward. Gestures don't work, and I'm constantly nagged by a repeating "USB device not recognized" popup (and accompanying plug/unplug sounds). Only fixed that by disabling the USB3 controller - a temporary fix...

I also have exactly the same problem shown earlier - that the Elan control panel shows "Standard PS/2 Mouse" instead of the touchpad. When removing/deleting the driver from Device Manager, then Windows Update decides it wants to install the Elan driver again... so it does... and I reboot. (amusingly, the touchpad worked better with the stock PS/2 driver, after deleting the Elan driver, before reinstalling it... but still no scroll)

Now I'm trying the Synaptics driver. Personally, I'd prefer a Synaptics touchpad over the Elan one... Elan is such a cheap company with utter crap touchpads. Synaptics is the traditional standard, higher quality... so it'd be nice if it truly is a Synaptics touchpad instead of an Elan.

Update: yep, indeed it is a Synaptics ClickPad v8.1, according to the driver. I had to force-install the driver, presumably because the BIOS is telling Windows that it's still an Elan pad. In other words, Lenovo has no idea what they're doing in supply, manufacturing, or repair - and even when serviced by a Lenovo authorized center (they shipped me a box, I stuck the label on it), they don't use the correct replacement parts. They just mash parts together, even if they don't match. Good job, Lenovo, your descent from IBM ThinkPad elite, to Chinese awfulness, is complete.

Fix: force-install the Synaptics driver, available from Synaptics website, over the top of the Elan driver.

Options

10 Posts

04-28-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 30 of 30

2017-06-02, 7:51 AM

I found a solution that ought to work for you guys just as well as it worked for mine... just a simple BIOS/EFI firmware default reset ought to do the trick, as the system re-detects the configured options (like Elan vs. Synaptics) and passes it along to Windows as it should. I guess in their quest for fast startup, they cache the touchpad chipset and don't bother re-detecting it on standard startups.

See here for details: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Lenovo-screwed-me-warranty-replaced-Elan-touchpad-with-Synaptics/m-p/3693542#M46395

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms